Beyerdynamic 880 Pro vs 880 Premium - Why the $$$ difference
Dec 12, 2012 at 3:03 AM Post #16 of 21
Quote:
From your comment, it seems the different between Pro & Premium in term of comfort/clamping force is not so much.

correct. theres not much difference, the pros are tighter, but it doesn't hurt cause the pads are so soft and the headphones are rather light.

Apr 23, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #19 of 21
the metal "ears" on the premiums defiantly have a purpose, albeit i have not idea how significant. if you flex the headband, pulling the can away from each other, you  will see that they are designed to push back onto the band. This might relieve strain at the joint between the band the can bracket, relieving strain on the plastic. I have not taken them apart to see. It might also help with clamping pressure when at maximum size, perhaps normalizing fit across a greater rang of head sizes. They don't just stick up, they defiantly are designed to act a springs that apply more force the "flatter" the band is stretched. Some engineer had a reason for this. whether it makes any difference is a another question. Any one ever remove them from a premium to see? 

They also prevent the aliens from sending subconscious messages to you via the dt880, in the same manner as tin-foil hat. 

Mar 7, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #20 of 21
I've A/B tested these for a couple hours. While the drivers are the same, the sound changes subtly; enough to actually have a favorite one, but not enough to actually make one or the other be objectively "better" or "worse". The main difference is the clamping force, which makes the pro have better bass and have a slightly more forward soundstage, while the 880 edition (according to Beyerdynamic there's no "Premium" on the name officially it's just a marketing tag) has a more relaxed bass and a more open soundstage.

Again the difference is really subtle, but enough for me to actually go with the Pro (against all recommendations from peers to go with the 880 edition) because I just loved the bass and the presentation of the vocals. The great part is that If i want i can just stretch the spring a bit to relax the clamp and get a sweet mix between the two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back