Beyerdynamic 880 Pro vs 880 Premium - Why the $$$ difference
Nov 7, 2012 at 11:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

iJeffG

New Head-Fier
I've been spending (way too many) hours going through the forum to identify the best full-size headphones for classical music...while staying under the $200 price point.

The Beyer 880's are high on the list...but there is a discrepancy I'd like to understand.  The Premium sells for almost $100 more than the PRO version, yet everything I've come across says the only difference is "clamp" pressure on the head.  Drivers are the same.  In fact, if I'm understanding correctly, one can simply take the PRO version, and slight bend the phones to relieve the pressure, making the PROS essentially the same as the premium.

I'm finding it VERY hard to believe that Beyerdynamic would have a $100 difference in "cost" due to this force...

What am I missing?

Thanks, and keep up the good work...this place does for headphones what FredMiranda does for Photography!  Its appreciated.

Jeff

Nov 7, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #3 of 21
The difference in the MSRP is actually only 34 €, much less than $100, but you may have found the pro version at a particularly cheap price. Other than the less clamping headband, the premium has somewhat better aesthetics, a long straight cord instead of a coiled one, and maybe a different carrying case (vinyl instead of nylon, I am not sure about this). It is also available in 32 and 600 Ω versions, while the pro is 250 Ω only.

Nov 7, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #4 of 21
Maybe I'm alone on this, but i find the pro to look better, and the coiled cable is very useful for me. I just like the painted on emblem instead of the raised plate on the premium.

Dec 8, 2012 at 10:18 AM Post #5 of 21
I'm not sure if it is true or not that Premium & Pro has different quality of driver? The Premium has a better quality driver than Pro?
Is Pro made in China but Premium made in Germany?

Dec 8, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #6 of 21
Quote:
I'm not sure if it is true or not that Premium & Pro has different quality of driver? The Premium has a better quality driver than Pro?
Is Pro made in China but Premium made in Germany?

The driver is the same as in the premium model of the same impedance, it has the same part number of 963773. Maybe the premium (or only the Manufaktur) version has better matched L/R drivers, but there is no actual evidence of that (it would require measuring at least several pairs of each model to find out). Neither is made in China. Also, the price difference varies greatly depending on where you buy the headphones. In Europe, I can find the DT880-600Ω for 249 €, but the Pro is only about 10-15 € cheaper, and the 250 Ω premium is also only 239 €.

Dec 9, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #7 of 21

In my country the price difference between the models is only 20€. (233€ vs. 255€) When it comes to aesthetic differences, I like the look of premium much better. It also seems to have leather headband instead of leatherette used in PRO model. This alone costs 15€ more if you buy it separately.

Dec 9, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #8 of 21

In my country the price difference between the models is only 20€. (233€ vs. 255€) When it comes to aesthetic differences, I like the look of premium much better. It also seems to have leather headband instead of leatherette used in PRO model. This alone costs 15€ more if you buy it separately.

The headband looks very different between them. You can notice there is a piece of metal plate each side in Premium.
I wonder if this metal plate reduces the clamping forcein Premium? Can it be installed onto the Pro?

Dec 9, 2012 at 6:39 PM Post #9 of 21
i dont think it can, and the metal plate doesn't really do anything as far as i know. the premium are probably a little more confortable on clamping, but both are essentially the same headphone. i would just go for the pro if you wanna save the cash.

Dec 10, 2012 at 5:15 AM Post #11 of 21
Does anyone know the actual function of the metal plate?

Aesthetics. I had another look at mine. It doesn't appear to do anything.

BTW - I agree totally with DS-Girl. I previously owned the 250 Pros, and after selling them, rebought the 600 Premiums. If you're making a choice - it depends on which cable you want, and whether the added clamp of the pros is going to bother you. If you prefer a coiled cable - get the Pros and save some money. If you prefer a straight cable, get the Premiums. They are definitely looser on the head.

As far as sonic differences, the 600's (to me) seem to have a slightly smoother top end. I readily admit this could be placebo on my part. I do most of my listening with an Audio-gd NFB-12 feeding a LD MKIV, and I find them pretty smooth and balanced. Nice combo really. Then again - I bet the Pros would have been pretty good through this set-up as well though :wink:

Dec 10, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #12 of 21
Does anyone know the actual function of the metal plate?

FYI the purpose is to personalise your HP, you have the option to order it with engravings of your name or initials. It is also meant for gifts, if this is the intention. And no, it has absolutely nothing to do with crazy ideas about aesthetics, it is merely part of a number of options you can choose for some models, and that's a very good reason for the price difference! :rolleyes:

Dec 11, 2012 at 4:06 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:
i dont think it can, and the metal plate doesn't really do anything as far as i know. the premium are probably a little more confortable on clamping, but both are essentially the same headphone. i would just go for the pro if you wanna save the cash.

As far as clamping force goes, how bad is the Pro comparing to Premium?
Please use the scale 1 to 10. 10 being the highest clamping force.
For example I will rate AKG K550 as 1, being the most comfortable and the lowest clamping force.

Dec 11, 2012 at 2:57 PM Post #14 of 21
while i haven't worn the dt 880 pro, i've had the dt 770 pro and the dt 990 premium, their headbands should be the same for the pro/premium of the other beyers respectively.

the pro does indeed have more clamping force. but it doesn't really bother me too much since the soft pads  are very comfy.

i'd say on clamping force, a 6 vs a 4 with the pro having more clamp, but on comfort, i'd say its more like 5 and 4 in terms of difference. the clamp is more but it really isn't too bothersome, and you can always gently loosen the headband by bending it gently. so you can kinda adjust them so they won't be as tight.

Dec 12, 2012 at 3:00 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:
while i haven't worn the dt 880 pro, i've had the dt 770 pro and the dt 990 premium, their headbands should be the same for the pro/premium of the other beyers respectively.

the pro does indeed have more clamping force. but it doesn't really bother me too much since the soft pads  are very comfy.

i'd say on clamping force, a 6 vs a 4 with the pro having more clamp, but on comfort, i'd say its more like 5 and 4 in terms of difference. the clamp is more but it really isn't too bothersome, and you can always gently loosen the headband by bending it gently. so you can kinda adjust them so they won't be as tight.

From your comment, it seems the different between Pro & Premium in term of comfort/clamping force is not so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back