Beyer Dynamic DT 770 Pro80 Review
Nov 3, 2011 at 4:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

ThaSrgnGnrl

New Head-Fier
Hey folks, before I get rollin Id like to point out that Ive never owned a pair of headphones that I would actually be using for editing and rough mixing... Until recently, Ive been one of a lucky handfull that have always been able mix on a set of premium monitors. That being said, I can only compare the sound and mix translation of my DT 770 Pro 80ohm to these monitors. 

I mainly deal with Hip-Hop, RnB, Black Gospel, Smooth Jazz, Rock and Folk music however, my 9,000 song library of music enlist the genius of fantastic classical music and old style Jazz. So my opinion is more then likely biased but I always attempt to be as neutral as possible.

I didn't rely on my library for listening as I know and understand that distortion is regularly present in anything compression and trust me, you can hear it on these things. I also listened to mixes in uncompressed .Wav format.

This will be a two part review of both the sound of these cans followed by the mix translation. Ill update later when I complete a full mix on them for now, sound comparisons.

Monitors: Yamaha NS10, Mackie HR824, KRK VXT8, KRK Expose E8B, Genelec 8240A

Burn In = 20 hours

THE BAD: Theyre smooth, no frequency hopping here, just smooth from top to bottom (I'm sure not technically so but, how many of you are happy with technically correct sound, almost nobody).

The mids are a bit recessed (so the bass and treble are more forward then they are even).

Smooth like the KRK VXT8, Depth like the Expose E8B, All around good performer like the Genelec 8240A's but lacking much of the midrange present in the NS10's (Mackie HR824's shouldn't even be listed but these are the monitors I have the most experience with). In spite of other opinions, I don't find the bass overbearing, inaccurate or muddy.

First let me start by saying this is not really a bad quality for the trained ear but it has proven to be somewhat of an issue due to the fact that they are so damn smooth and musical and the sound stage is near perfect for a $200 can (they can definitely improve but for $200, you really can't complain about much). Imagine the frustration of listening to a mix and enjoying yourself so much that you forgot to pay attention to what was wrong with the mix! I too am guilty of this.

There will be a bit of a listening curve for these cans, much like the KRKs. Both these and the KRKs are very easy to listen to and edits are sometimes looked over. Not their fault, good job to both KRK and Beyer. This alone leads me to believe that editing would be more likely easier to complete on something a bit harsher on the ears like the NS10s for instance. Makes me feel like they should be used to over hear final mixes and masters instead of raw editing. However much like the NS10s, it really depends on the ear. Ill update that idea when I get the chance.

The mids are indeed recessed. Not to the point unusable, unusual or horrible sounding. In fact I would have to argue that it actually adds a bit to the stereo character. So, that being said, are they that bad? No, just recessed. The cans still sound fantastic at this price range but, the mids are definitely recessed. How that will interpret is yet to be tested.

This conclusion is what makes the highs and lows stand out so much in the mix. However, like any monitor I own, you learn the sound of your equipment and you compensate. This is also from a technically instructed ear because when handed to my wife and brother (who are both musically inclined but do not engineer, mix and master like I do) and asked to explain what they heard, recessed mids were never mentioned.

In very short and easy to understand in regards to the mids; theyre no NS10s, they favor the KRKs much more closely. Mids are not too recessed but are much more recessed then any forward sounding monitors like the NS10s or NS50/80s. Simply put, unless you have ears that understand NS10s or the like, this wont matter much to you.

The Good: Theyre SMOOTH!!

They're really easy on the ear (both sound wise and physically).

The sound stage is very good for closed back cans

At this price range, from the few I've heard, I'm not sure they're is much to challenge these

For a closed back can, I can't believe how musical they really are. I expected something a bit more mid happy and not so much bass or treble but I would settle for slightly recessed mids any day... Some have stated that the highs are a bit harsh the over all sound is a bit muddy. I really don't agree at all. They highs don't necessarily sparkle but I really don't hear any reason to label them harsh at all.

Muddy? Not so much but, I also gave them a few hours of medium high volume playing for 20 hours before I really listened to them in detail. From what I understand, these have about a 60-80 hour burn in time on bass heavy music and closer to 100 hour burn in time for more moderate music. That being said, I did listen to them right out of the box and enjoyed them, then again 20 hours later, and they're was definitely a difference.

The bass had become more detailed, the highs smoother and the mids did indeed come forward just a bit (atleast to me they did).

As for the sound stage, I really can't complain at all for a closed can! They're fantastically good performers in this category, though not as good as the DT880 Pro. But lets be serious. if a closed can manage to get the sound out of your head even moderately, that is a fantastic deal, is it no? Could the sound stage improve? Absolutely! However, I stress, that at this price point, I really couldn't ask for more out of this category.

I really don't see a challenge coming from the competition at this price point for a closed back headset. They're are others that provide a more detailed midrange expression but lack in at least 2 other categories. I believe if you pit these against others in range that you will find that these are definitely the least evil. I wouldn't mind a little less evil in my life at the moment (dang NS10s).

Conclusion:

Great frequency range, smooth delivery, slightly recessed mids, 18dba of sound attenuation, comfortable long term fit, lowest lows, highest highs, an excellent closed can sound stage and $200 for what I believe is only surpassed by headphones at least $100 more (save EBay and Amazon).

Hope this helps somebody out and that I didn't contradict myself along the way seeing this was partially written 2 days apart. Let me know if you need an opinion on another feature or would like me to test these doing something different.

Nov 3, 2011 at 4:04 AM Post #2 of 15
Dont respond to this review yet... I submitted prematurely on accident... Tablet was giving me issues... Working on finishing momentarily... 

Edit: Gonna have to finish this when I can sit in front of a computer tomorrow... Sorry folks, Ill get it done asap...

Edit: Open for comments and looking forward to the arguments! :)

Nov 5, 2011 at 2:03 AM Post #4 of 15
Just got my hands on a new set of DT880's and I can hands down tell you that the difference between the two is phenomenal! Funny thing is, they are exactly what I expected...

DT770 Sound Stage spacious for closed headphones, fantastic bass response, very clear highs, recessed mids, decent sound attenuation, music is a bit more in your face and although clarity is present, it is still a muddy-er sound then the open design of the DT880's but still not too muddy.

DT880 Pro250 Sound Stage much larger and easier to comprehend. Bass response depth remains but far less prominent. Highs are much smoother, this being very apparent when enjoying classical music. Mids are now much more forward due to the open can design.

Some complain about he thinner sound at 250ohms but I really get the feeling that will drastically change over burn in time. For the record, I don't get the feeling of thinness when I'm listening to them.

I will say that I'm a large guy 6'4" 240lbs and although the DT880's are comfortable, the DT770's are definitely a much more comfortable fit for me. More room in the ear cup (my ears slightly rub on the driver cover inside of the ear cup) and slightly larger frame for my big noggin...

I also liked the straight cord on the DT770's better.

My .02

Dec 11, 2011 at 2:07 AM Post #6 of 15
Incorrect. The DT880 is the weakest, followed by DT990, and then DT770 Pro 80. Bass-wise.

Dec 11, 2011 at 2:11 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:
Incorrect. The DT880 is the weakest, followed by DT990, and then DT770 Pro 80. Bass-wise.

I prefer the term 'politest' of the Beyer range. 
smile.gif

Dec 11, 2011 at 2:20 AM Post #8 of 15
Yeah, that sounds more correct, since the DT880 isn't exactly weak in the bass region, just not as pronounced as the others.

Dec 11, 2011 at 2:29 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:
Since the 990s arent as bassy as the dt770s, any thoughts on this? http://www.head-fi.org/t/504037/mini-review-digizoid-zo-portable-subwoofer

I've never heard it or heard of it for that matter so I can't really comment on it. However if you're scoffing at the idea of a Sony XB500 for in-your-face bass this is going to be much of the same, if not worse. What I have found through EQ is you can always take bass away but you can't add it, not the good stuff anyway... both the driver and headphone have to be made for it.

Dec 11, 2011 at 2:37 AM Post #12 of 15
I've never heard it or heard of it for that matter so I can't really comment on it. However if you're scoffing at the idea of a Sony XB500 for in-your-face bass this is going to be much of the same, if not worse. What I have found through EQ is you can always take bass away but you can't add it, not the good stuff anyway... both the driver and headphone have to be made for it.

In the review, is there any "con" to adding it? Or is it all simply a better experience? Btw keep in mind it's new technology, you don't know how it works, I suggest checking
Out the website and also it's an amp,

Dec 11, 2011 at 2:40 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:
In the review, is there any "con" to adding it? Or is it all simply a better experience? Btw keep in mind it's new technology, you don't know how it works, I suggest checking
Out the website and also it's an amp,

Well now we're going OT and the only way you're going to know is if you buy it, but in all honesty it looks like a gimmick and probably is. It will simply be an amp and amplify certain frequencies, possibly work on predetermined EQ settings.

Dec 11, 2011 at 2:54 AM Post #14 of 15
Well now we're going OT and the only way you're going to know is if you buy it, but in all honesty it looks like a gimmick and probably is. It will simply be an amp and amplify certain frequencies, possibly work on predetermined EQ settings.

Gimmick as in not good?! Did u read the conclusion?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back