Beyer DT990(2005) - 250ohm vs 600 ohm.
Nov 11, 2006 at 6:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

nichifanlema

500+ Head-Fier
I've just read a first impression/initial review on DT990(2005) 600ohm version...Unfortunately, it's not in English, so I guess I have to translate it...

It's written by a fellow Head-Fier in South Korea.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. SangHo Sung
....I got my hands on new DT990 - 600ohm today...and it sounds VERY different from the regular 250ohm version, as if they were totatlly different headphones. It has basically the same sonical signature of regular DT990, but the sound is more calm and refined than the 250ohm... This headphone is NOT HARSH.....I really can't find the sibilant factor with this phone...it's very smooth sounding, unlike the 250ohm version.....I was expecting something similar to 250ohm version, but this is soooooooo different.......It seems like the bass has loosened a bit, compared to the tight bass of 250ohm version. I think it's because the headphone isn't burned in yet, or because it's harder to drive than the 250ohm. I am currently using Xenos X3ha amp, so maybe it's lack of juice....I am not getting the "In your face" factor, like that I got from the 250ohm + Xenos X3ha combination ......I think I need a better amp......The soundstage seems to be better than 250 ohm... and it seems little laid-back, comparing to 250 ohm version..

Quote:

Update : I have only few hours of burn in time on these, but the bass is already becoming much tighther and more powerful...Richer in sound. I guess I have to take back my words on "loose bass"

Quote:

I sent a e-mail to Beyerdynamic, and they told me that there's difference in sound for each 32ohm, 250ohm, and 600ohm models. They'd recommend 600ohm version if the user has Powerful amp

Nov 11, 2006 at 6:22 AM Post #2 of 28
and also a very short review done another Head-fier.

Quote:

I also had a chance to briefly listen to DT990 600ohm version, and I felt that it's sound is quite different from that of 250ohm version. I had it amped with Sugden Headmaster; 600 ohm had much less sibilance, and was a little laid-back compared to the 250ohm version. Unlike Mr.Sung, I thought the lows/bass was much tighter, and had fuller sound...It sounded as if had a little bit of moisture...From my perspective, I think 600ohm is a level higher than the regular 250ohm version...However, although 600ohm version is milder and smoother(highs) than 250ohm version, it's still rough & dynamic when compared to AKG or Sennheiser 'phones...

This is exactly what I was looking for....I was satisfied with my 250 ohm version on every aspect, except for the highs being quite sibilant from time to time....Only thing that's pulling me back is that the high price & long wait time the Manufaktur/Manufacture will take....

Nov 11, 2006 at 6:27 AM Post #3 of 28
Interesting. I know wmcmanus has a 600-ohm pair on the build at Beyer, but alas he doesn't have the 250ohm version to compare with. I would hope that the 600ohm version sounds better, if only because Beyer charges extra for them
biggrin.gif

Nov 11, 2006 at 11:38 AM Post #4 of 28
This is great, interesting stuff. Please post more when possible. I have Manufaktur 250 ohm still on order sending email today to see if it's possible to change to 600ohm. Thanks.

Nov 11, 2006 at 12:16 PM Post #5 of 28
It would also be good if someone can include the 32 ohm model in their comparisons. Hope some people can meet up and compare their different impedance models. I should be getting mine this week. Wish someone has a 250 or 600 ohm model here in the Philippines to compare
icon10.gif

Mar 4, 2007 at 12:56 PM Post #7 of 28
To bring this thread out of the deep:

Has anyone made some experience with the 32 ohm version (compared to the 250)? I think about getting the 990s, but I'm quite unsure which version to take.

And another question: When I plan to use the 990s both with my DAP (amped) and maybe with some bigger rig, what might be a disadvantage of the 32 ohm version? Gererally they should be easier to drive in comparision to the 250 ohm version. So for what reason you should cohoose the 250 version (except for a "better" sound maybe)?

Mar 4, 2007 at 5:31 PM Post #8 of 28
some headfiers have said that the 32ohm and the 250ohm DT990s sound very similar (or no difference at all). only difference is that the 32ohm will be much easier to drive.

the 600ohms are the ones that has been said to be a totally different beast altogether.

Mar 4, 2007 at 6:20 PM Post #9 of 28
So you can say that there is no real advantage of the 250 ohm compared to the 32 ohm version. Did I get this right?

Mar 4, 2007 at 7:23 PM Post #10 of 28
I also have the 600 ohm manufactures on the way. Beyer confirmed the order last week, so I suppose it will be at least another couple of weeks.
frown.gif
This is where I started, with the old dt990 600ohm, and so it comes full circle. I have 250 ohms to compare to once it gets here.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 4, 2007 at 10:22 PM Post #11 of 28
Please notice the post number
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm listening to my new "almost burned in" DT990 '05 600 ohm as i write this.
I haven't heard either the 32 or 250 ohm versions, but have some observations about the 600 ohm version:

Plenty of power is needed!
They are not shrill. But don't ever use with brightish equipment!
The mids are a little recessed compared to my SR125's, giving the 990's a lean, wide extended sound signature. But on a CD with a little harshness in the highs, and it sounds awfull! Then put on a wellrecorded CD, and you'll experience a wonderfully airy treble with no sign of shrilness.
The quality of the mids is of a relly high class. It lacks just a bit of "fullness", but it's very detailed with an exiting soundstage.
And then the low end! The 990 really shines here. The bass is full, impactfull, and very detailed.

I'm driving mine of a G&W T2.6F amp, with two nice '69 Philips 6DJ8 tubes. This combo results in a very exiting, well controlled, sound signature. I tried the DT's on a DIY OTL tube amp, which actually added a little fullness to the midrange.

Just my 2 cent's!

Mar 4, 2007 at 10:29 PM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by NuggiFirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But on a CD with a little harshness in the highs, and it sounds awfull! Then put on a wellrecorded CD, and you'll experience a wonderfully airy treble with no sign of shrilness.

I'd say that of the 250 ohms as well. That's when I plug into the HA-2's 120ohm port, but somehow that may not be the perfect solution for 600 ohms. I'll know soon enough how they differ. Well really, not soon enough, but it'll have to do.
smily_headphones1.gif

Welcome to Head-fi! Looks like your wallet is already feeling the pain.

Mar 4, 2007 at 10:34 PM Post #13 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome to Head-fi! Looks like your wallet is already feeling the pain.

It's really not that bad.. The SR125's, T2.6F, tube collection and DT's are bought over a 2 year period. But it's trully a nice hobby
biggrin.gif

Mar 5, 2007 at 12:28 PM Post #15 of 28
I have a pair of 2005 dt990/600 and Nuggifirst is correct in saying "Plenty of power is needed.
They are not shrill. But don't ever use with brightish equipment!
The mids are a little recessed compared to my SR125's, giving the 990's a lean, wide extended sound signature........ Then put on a wellrecorded CD, and you'll experience a wonderfully airy treble with no sign of shrillness.The quality of the mids is of a really high class. It lacks just a bit of "fullness", but it's very detailed with an exiting soundstage.
And then the low end! The 990 really shines here. The bass is full, impactfull, and very detailed."

Personally, I've NEVER heard a shrill note (or excessive brightness) from these..... I have a strong tendency to female jazz vocals, Symphony, and Opera.
Mine are being run from ESI Juli@ card - Meier cables - Corda Prehead MkII ..........and they are my most-used combo (might be even better with an Opera
smily_headphones1.gif
or not very "tubey" tube amp ). Love 'em!!!
Now, re comment above re dt770/600 - I'd doubt this is a great idea. What basically transforms dt770/80 is the re-cabling (I have v.1 screened Darthbeyers, and v.2 Darthbeyers, and a v.3 32 ohm pair is in process with Larry).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back