Beyer DT880 Question
Apr 18, 2007 at 6:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

gjustice

Head-Fier
So, I'm thinking about getting some '880s and probally a hornet to power them and I had some questions(please keep in mind, this is my first venture into serious headphones so try to keep answers simple):

What is the difference between the '880 and the '880 Edition 2005? I guess the 2005s are newer and appear better reviewed.

Also if you order form the MANUFACTURE page are you getting the normall 880s or the 2005 880s (I would assume 2005s but given how much these cost I would rather not assume)
Edit: Also is the MANUFACTURE page good for anything besides aesthetic appeal, and changing the impedence?

Lastly what is the difference between 32-250-600 ohm impedence?

Thanks

Apr 18, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #2 of 22
You seem to think differing impedences are a minor point - they are NOT minor. Ditto the cable choices (if one wants coiled), nor the Genuine Leather Headband, and/or Earpads. Sure the rest are aethetic choices - it's according to what level of buyer you're addressing. Personally, I have dt990/600Ω 2005ed, and sold other headphones and have on order dt880/600Ω......besides my Darthbeyers and k340. My choice for your proposed 2005 would not be a Hornet. You've really asked a lot of questions that I haven't addressed. To answer them properly would take a lot more typing. Suffice it to say you should be doing a lot more research........at least live with the forum search function for a few days.........it's not as simple as you think at this moment. You also have to be thinking of your most-chosen types of music, and your source.........portable vs. home use. etc..

Apr 18, 2007 at 11:31 PM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
. . . My choice for your proposed 2005 would not be a Hornet.

Apologies to the OP for hijacking the thread (although he may find it useful too), but would you mind elaborating on that? I'm completely underamping my DT-880 right now, and I figured a Hornet might be a worthy upgrade. What would you consider a suitable portable amp for a 250-ohm Beyer?

Thanks,
Greg

Apr 18, 2007 at 11:55 PM Post #4 of 22
I think the Hornet, with it's very slightly forward sound, might push the DT880 over the edge, and what BushGuy may have been getting at is that the DT990's are a better match with the Hornet than 880's are (at least that is my opinion).

Apr 18, 2007 at 11:57 PM Post #5 of 22
First of all, why would a person seek a portable amp for a full sized headphone? The only possability would be for using one amp for both portables eg. headphone like HD25, or an IEM. A portable amp used at home is best off of a wallwart - more honesty compromises never work as well as matches made where components are chosen to dedicated to one another...........further, we've also got to be talking about the texture or signature of both amp and headphone having the ability to synergize with each other. The dt880 has a fairly dry signature by itself (drier, particularly, than dt770) and one of the best matings have been versions of the tube amp Earmax Pro.........additionally the ASL MG-Head OTL MK III does very well...........also significantly more expensive Rudistor 7Lite, or Audio Valve RKV MkII .........to me, much of this success is their ability to better blend the mids with the bass and treble ends of the spectrum due, in part, to the secondary harmonic distortion inherent with tube construction.

Apr 19, 2007 at 12:18 AM Post #6 of 22
The Beyer DT880 (2003) paired wonderfully with both the Darkvoice 336i and the G&W T2.6F, too. Oh, how I miss my DT880 (2003) Beyers!

From what I've read, and relevant to the particular reasons I liked the DT880 (2003), the new (2005) edition, while adding upper/mid bass and midrange body, has taken away a degree of high fequency extension and the pervasive sense of air that went with it. Given that, and barring the opportunity for me to own and to a/b both the 2003 and 2005 versions of the DT880, my (informed) instinct tells me to get the DT880 (2003).

Keep in mind that the upper frequency extension, clarity and slight "forwardness" are what ultimately endeared me to these remarkable (DT880, 2003) headphones. While I admit that the 2003 DT880's only perceived weakness--at least to my ears--(i.e. lack of body in the upper bass/lower midrange) has reportedly been well-addressed in the 2005 version, this also, reportedly, comes at the expense of that signature, treble "magic" of the 2003 version. Of all the headphones I've previously owned, the DT880 are the ones I miss most, and the ones I would most likely re-acquire first.

Oh, the vicissitudes of this agonizingly enjoyable habit!

Apr 19, 2007 at 12:25 AM Post #7 of 22
Yes, the DT880 loves tube amps!

Apr 19, 2007 at 12:33 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

First of all, why would a person seek a portable amp for a full sized headphone? The only possability would be for using one amp for both portables eg. headphone like HD25, or an IEM. A portable amp used at home is best off of a wallwart - more honesty compromises never work as well as matches made where components are chosen to dedicated to one another...........further, we've also got to be talking about the texture or signature of both amp and headphone having the ability to synergize with each other. The dt880 has a fairly dry signature by itself (drier, particularly, than dt770) and one of the best matings have been versions of the tube amp Earmax Pro.........additionally the ASL MG-Head OTL MK III does very well...........also significantly more expensive Rudistor 7Lite, or Audio Valve RKV MkII .........to me, much of this success is their ability to better blend the mids with the bass and treble ends of the spectrum due, in part, to the secondary harmonic distortion inherent with tube construction.

The consideration may be more towards budget rather than usage. As a general rule, portables are cheaper than fullsize. Having a small budget myself, I'm forced to use a Total BitHead as my DAC and amp with my K701, and I have no real intention of using it as a portable. I'm sure there are better amps out there, but very few DAC and amp combos in this price range, which is essentially my maximum. That said, I think the K701 sounds quite good out of this amp/source, and am not very inclined to upgrade anyway. I have very little experience with the Beyers, but chose the K701 over the DT880 because of the impedance. I will probably pick up a DT880 when I can afford to upgrade my amp, but as an out-of-state college student, it seems unlikely that my budget for either a headphone or amp will rarely be above ~$300 per item. So, to derail the OP a little bit, if there is a better amp in that range for either the K701 or DT880, I'd love to know what it is.

Apr 19, 2007 at 1:13 AM Post #10 of 22
Yes, the Xenos 1HA-EPC would be a great choice. It's slightly warm tone and great bass would be good for the DT880.

Apr 19, 2007 at 1:30 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by deathklok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The consideration may be more towards budget rather than usage...

For myself, I do plan to use the amp with all my headphones, but also the DT-880's are used at work, and I'm not about to set up a tube amp on my desk! I like the idea of carrying one amp around with me -- it may be a compromise, but it's one I'm willing to make.

To the OP, here's a thread comparing 03 and 05:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...t880+2003+2005

As has been mentioned, the search will turn up many more answers!

Good luck,
Greg

Apr 19, 2007 at 5:44 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by singletrack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently acquired a 32 ohm DT880. Any recommendations for an amp (portable preferrable) at the $200 price rance? thanks

If you can find a used Meier HeadFive for about $200 . . . While you can't slip it in your inside pocket and power it with batteries, you can easily carry it between home and workplace, and set up simple. You might also want to look into Porta Cordas from Meier Audio.

Apr 19, 2007 at 5:55 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

First of all, why would a person seek a portable amp for a full sized headphone?

funny. i think many people here use a "portable" as their amp as these are less expensive. home amps costs much more and i believe tubes cost even more. beside, these "portable" amp are more than adequate to drive full sized phones and perform quite well. btw, true portable phones don't even need an amp...so go figure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab
Yes, the Xenos 1HA-EPC would be a great choice.

what other amps would you suggest since you've tested almost every portable amp in the market. but if i remember correctly, someone mentions a hornet pairs well with a 880, maybe my memory fails me.

Apr 19, 2007 at 12:57 PM Post #14 of 22
The other amp to consider in that price range is the Portaphile.

Apr 19, 2007 at 2:10 PM Post #15 of 22
BushGuy;2886655 said:
First of all, why would a person seek a portable amp for a full sized headphone? The only possability would be for using one amp for both portables eg. headphone like HD25, or an IEM.
1. To easily transport my music from home to office and back.

2. So I can use my full-sized cans in any room in the house (i.e. wherever my wonderful but very loud children are not).

3. To ensure that those same wonderful children do not damage sensitive electronics, I need all my gear to easily stow away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back