Beyer DT880 Question
Apr 20, 2007 at 5:56 PM Post #17 of 22
I did back when I had a Headfive, and they sounded very good together. Not a protable amp of course, but a great sounding amp for the money.

Apr 20, 2007 at 6:04 PM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, the DT880 loves tube amps!

x2. Indeed. A detailed source (taking advantage of the detailed nature of the DT880s) combined with some tube amp warmth sounds just great.

Reasonably priced used Millett Hybrids show up in the amps for sale forum now and then. Lovely driver for the DT880s in my experience.

Apr 21, 2007 at 8:04 AM Post #20 of 22
My DT-880s paired with my Doge 6210 tube amp is just pure joy to listen to. I think that the right tube combination really mellows out the highs. The soundstage is right in front of you, so to speak. I highly recommend them. I know the Doge is not what the OP is looking for, but I just wanted to chime in on the synergy aspect of 880s plus tubes.

Apr 21, 2007 at 11:20 AM Post #21 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperpwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Reasonably priced used Millett Hybrids show up in the amps for sale forum now and then. Lovely driver for the DT880s in my experience.

Very true indeed. I had been thinking of selling my Millet - untill I got the DT880. The DT880 was my first fon that was able to "display" the special vices of the Millet (slight warmth, huge soundstage, good detailling). Needed some burning in and critical listening to get there though.

My midfi-fons such as DT770, DT531 or A900 were not capable to benefit significantly from the Millet. My cheap solid state was sufficient for them. Hence there were times when I was deeply disappointed by the Millet regarded the whole amp thing as pure voodoo.

Apr 21, 2007 at 12:36 PM Post #22 of 22
Not all portable amps can drive the DT880s (well, adding in the caveat at least, of the 2003 version)...

You can probably forget everything that runs off of 9v or less, even an 18v amp that I have cannot make them sing at all...

...Make sure that whatever amp you have has a (manual) gain control for most flexibility if sticking with the portable options...

For reference, my recabled DT880s with the Headroom gear sound awesome, full bodied, with very little evidence of their extreme top-end that people sometimes comment on - by far and away my happiest (long term) headphone experience
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back