beyer dt880 and akg k701?
Jun 25, 2007 at 8:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

dreamwhisper

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a headphone with a great soundstage & an airy/ out of body feel,
as well as a warm live feel to them,

I'm going to be listening to high quality rips(lossless) of psy-trance, psy-bient(downtempo),
and jazz.. (ps I came here from OiNK)
I listen to electronica/jazz for the majority, and otherwise alt rock and reggae/dub

I'm looking to spend around 200 on phones and around 200 on an amp

So far the dt880's and k701's look promising..

What are their strengths and weaknesses/ how do they compare?

Are there other headphones I should be considering?

And what are some warm sounding (preferably portable & inexpensive) amps

And do you know of any good sellers that ship to Canada?

Thanks!

..Alright so I'm reading up on the Beyer's and Im pretty much set on them hehehe

What are some amps that sound good with Beyer dt880?

Thx

Jun 25, 2007 at 2:23 PM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by dreamwhisper /img/forum/go_quote.gif

..Alright so I'm reading up on the Beyer's and Im pretty much set on them hehehe

What are some amps that sound good with Beyer dt880?

Thx

Good choice, the dt880´s are some of the best cans in the price area. Well go for a Meier amp... they all sound good, and only better the more you spend on them.
If you could strech your budget a bit, then get the Aria
wink.gif

BTW welcome to the forum, and sorry for your wallet

Jun 25, 2007 at 2:38 PM Post #4 of 17
whatever one you decide on, stick with it, unless you must return it. otherwise....in my case I sold the 880's for the 701's and I love the 701's, but after hearing the 880's it feels like i'm missing something and i'm wondering if i made the right decision in selling them.

Jun 25, 2007 at 7:47 PM Post #7 of 17
Hi=]
See here for a short comparison between the two fones, and here for a longer one.

For the music you listen to, I'll recommend the dt880s. Yes, it has some HF harshness at times, but I've read that it can be fixed using tube amps(which I'm looking into). The reason I recommend the dt880s over the k701 in this case is because with electronica, the dt880s' bass is much more satisfying and head-bobbing, even though I do sometimes miss the extra detail found in the k701's bass. This is only with my setup, however, so YMMV
580smile.gif

Jun 25, 2007 at 9:13 PM Post #10 of 17
my other headphones are the measley AKG K81 Dj
and I need more soundstage and an airy live feel

thanks for advice guys and for the review link denl82

the meier amps look prime to me, I'm thinking of the Corda Move because I need something that's mildly portable

I'll prbly have to get the k701's eventually tho anyway
lambda.gif

Jun 25, 2007 at 10:29 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by XENOPHOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
whatever one you decide on, stick with it, unless you must return it. otherwise....in my case I sold the 880's for the 701's and I love the 701's, but after hearing the 880's it feels like i'm missing something and i'm wondering if i made the right decision in selling them.

well... where did I hear that??
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers!

Jun 25, 2007 at 10:31 PM Post #12 of 17
Jun 25, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #13 of 17
Hi.
They are a little over your designated budget perhaps, but you might also consider the Audio-Technica ATH-AD1000.
I recently got the AD2000 and they are very good for jazz and electronica, I think the AD1000 will share many similarities.
They are lower impedance that the Beyerdynamics so you can use them quite happily without an amp, until you save up to get one. Just another idea top throw in the pile
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm sure the DT-880's would be great as well.

Adenl82: Thanks for your review thread.

Jun 26, 2007 at 12:39 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

my other headphones are the measley AKG K81 Dj
and I need more soundstage and an airy live feel

the meier amps look prime to me, I'm thinking of the Corda Move because I need something that's mildly portable

I'll prbly have to get the k701's eventually tho anyway
lambda.gif

I think you will be very happy with them, just as long as you're prepared for "reference" quality bass.

Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Adenl82: Thanks for your review thread.

Quote:

thanks for advice guys and for the review link denl82

My pleasure!!
icon10.gif

Jun 26, 2007 at 6:48 AM Post #15 of 17
So I now am thinking of the Corda Aria because I realized that the Beyer dt880's aren't the most portable cans, and I might as well go for the gusto

But will the Corda Aria equalize some of the brightness that dt880's are notorious for?
What are other amps that would?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back