Beyer DT880/600: Why no love for thes cans?
Jun 1, 2012 at 1:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

mayidunk

New Head-Fier
They sound great, look great, they're comfortable, light, not real expensive...  what's not to like?  So why do I get the impression that many people here just don't like them?

If you don't like them, tell us why.

Jun 1, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #2 of 15
Quote:
They sound great, look great, they're comfortable, light, not real expensive...  what's not to like?  So why do I get the impression that many people here just don't like them?

They're some of my favorite cans but they've been replaced by the more expensive T1s, people these days follow trends rather than their ears. If you go back quite a few years you will see just how popular they once were.

Edit: And they're a real farce to power properly.

Jun 1, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Gamers report that the DT880 has a poor six o'clock for gaming.

Jun 1, 2012 at 2:12 AM Post #6 of 15
Thanks for the replies!  I was a bit concerned that this post would be seen as trolling, which it really isn't.  I guess I didn't take into consideration how long these cans have been out, the introduction of the T1s, and the fact that, like many, people here also tend to follow  the trends.  (Heh... guess I really should've seen that one, eh? 
wink.gif
  )

For me, I love their sound!  However, I am finding myself being aware of them touching the bottom of my right ear, and that seems to be bothering me for some reason!  Indeed, I'm feeling the same thing on my left ear, but that doesn't seem to be an issue.  It's not that they're uncomfortable, or that I'm experiencing any pain!  It's just that I'm... aware of them.  Very strange.

beyersmile.png

Jun 1, 2012 at 2:29 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grado77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

...The DT-880 600's need good amping as you know, but even with that, I find they just don't carry the brute force of the other mentioned cans and end up sounding pretty thin throughout...

I'm curious about the "brute force" you experience with the other cans that you don't experience with the 880s.  Would you mind explaining it a bit more for me?

Jun 1, 2012 at 2:49 AM Post #9 of 15
Maybe because they have a treble that piercingly forces itself into your ears.  At least that's my impression after hearing them at meets.

Jun 1, 2012 at 3:13 AM Post #11 of 15
It does appear that the Little Dot amp may be running out of headroom with the 880s.  Have you tried them with any other amps?

Jun 1, 2012 at 3:29 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Just LD Mk III and Asgard. Not any different. And my sources feed the amps 2V.

I can go past 1 o'clock and it gets louder, just not fuller.

Yeah, these cans really do need a lot of oomph!  I drive mine with the headphone section of an old Kyocera receiver, and with the headphone section on an Onkyo C-S5VL CD/SACD player, and they both drive the 880s perfectly, IMO.  I was really happy to discover how good the headphone amp is on that Onkyo CD player!  When I got it, I really wasn't paying too much attention to the headphone section, figuring that I'd be using the receiver's headphone jack.  But, it's nice to not have to fire up the receiver when I just want to listen to CDs using the cans.  It really is an excellent CD player, and I definitely got lucky as regards its headphone amp!

Jun 1, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:
It does appear that the Little Dot amp may be running out of headroom with the 880s.  Have you tried them with any other amps?

I've heard them with quite a few different amps, both solid-state and tube and they really favor the slightly warmer sounding tube amps. I can say the LDIII does not power them very well, I have found the best mating with the 5998 Darkvoice amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back