Beyer DT770 Pro/ 80 Detachable cable MOD
Mar 11, 2013 at 5:32 AM Post #31 of 315
You think so? I can't find a single example of someone using RCA instead of a proprietary option or mini XLR. It concerns me and makes me wonder if I am missing something. I want to do the RCA because I can easily switch cable length and output type. I can even make my own cables if I want to mess with custom gauges and compositions. As a plus, I can use the cable to interface an ipod on the fly. 

I think I will stop hijacking this thread and start my own.

Mar 11, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #32 of 315
Quote:
You think so? I can't find a single example of someone using RCA instead of a proprietary option or mini XLR. It concerns me and makes me wonder if I am missing something. I want to do the RCA because I can easily switch cable length and output type. I can even make my own cables if I want to mess with custom gauges and compositions. As a plus, I can use the cable to interface an ipod on the fly. 

I think I will stop hijacking this thread and start my own.

http://moon-audio.com/JustAskDrew/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Detachable_Split_Mod-425x280.jpg

I just googled RCA headphone mod and this was in the images ^ :)

This thread below has a pair of Hifiman HE-500 about halfway down that appear to have RCA inputs, but I may be wrong. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/648968/a-headphone-shootout-from-a-speaker-listener-testing-eight-headphones-from-80-to-1-200

I'm sure it can be done, give it a try and you'll have a very rare mod! And still post those pics up here, or link up your thread so I can follow it.

Jun 12, 2013 at 2:22 PM Post #35 of 315
You inspired me! I always hated the obnoxiously long chord and was very glad to stumble upon your beautiful example of a successful surgery.

I do have a question though. When you remove the cable, you end up with a square hole. I wouldn't want to dust or liquid to end up in there. It seems like your solution, at least in the DT880 mod, was to use a bigger nut. Do you think using some sort of sealant is a bad idea?

Also, next question: The paint job on your 880's is beautiful. Did you use nail polish or did you use some special craft paint?

Jun 12, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #36 of 315
I cut some 3m foam strips to seal the hole in my 770s. Using hot glue would work well, You should definitely try to seal them somehow because they are a closed headphone. It would make the sound a bit different than the other cup if you don't.
The paint I used on my 880s was a metallic red paint made by rustoleum. I used a bunch of clear coat to get the high gloss finish. Here's the thread I made for the paint job. It was a tedious process. http://www.head-fi.org/t/656914/diy-manufaktur

Jun 13, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #38 of 315
Quote:
does this mod affect the sound quality at all because of the new hole or new cable? 

It didnt affect mine at all. Actually, if you do the mod and get a 3.5mm male to male cable that has better wire in it than the stock cable the sound quality would be better. I didnt notice a difference going from my stock cable to the VModa cable I was using though. The vmoda cable probably wasnt made with a very high quality wire, I got it for $15. Also, there isn't a "new hole" its the same hole that was there for the stock cable, I just filled it with a 3.5 chassis and 3M foam pads. 

Aug 25, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #41 of 315

I just finished this mod yesterday. I used the fiber washer from home depot to cover the square hole. I also went with the radioshack panel jack.
You NEED to grind toward direction going OUT from velour pad. I made a mistake of grinding toward the velour pad and realized that the jack needs to be flush with inside ring.
It was a pretty ugly looking hole but the fiber washer hid my mistake so I'm pretty happy with the end result.
Happy modding!

Sep 26, 2013 at 1:14 PM Post #42 of 315

I just finished this mod yesterday. I used the fiber washer from home depot to cover the square hole. I also went with the radioshack panel jack.
You NEED to grind toward direction going OUT from velour pad. I made a mistake of grinding toward the velour pad and realized that the jack needs to be flush with inside ring.
It was a pretty ugly looking hole but the fiber washer hid my mistake so I'm pretty happy with the end result.
Happy modding!

Nov 27, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #43 of 315
What kind of wire are those wires coated with red plastic?, the ones you use to attach the headphone to the panel mount jack?. Sorry if that is a dumb question, but I'm totally new at this, and as winter has reached Norway I want to use fullsize cans on the go, to keep my ears warm, but the portability sucks. I will try this on my own but does anyone know if there are any repair shops in Norway that can do this mod?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back