Beyer DT770 Pro/ 80 Detachable cable MOD
Feb 1, 2014 at 12:58 AM Post #61 of 315
It's fairly flexible, definitely enough for a headphone cable. I prefer to use Mogami w2893 over it though, it's much more flexible. The canare is 4x24awg wires, and the Mogami is 4x26awg. Either is good though, both are very cheap and good quality.

I order from here: http://www.redco.com/Bulk-Quad-Microphone-Cable/

Feb 1, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #62 of 315
  It's fairly flexible, definitely enough for a headphone cable. I prefer to use Mogami w2893 over it though, it's much more flexible. The canare is 4x24awg wires, and the Mogami is 4x26awg. Either is good though, both are very cheap and good quality.

I order from here: http://www.redco.com/Bulk-Quad-Microphone-Cable/

Cool, I will go with the Mogami then.

Feb 1, 2014 at 6:18 AM Post #63 of 315
  How did you paint these? I just got some of these myself and am looking into doing some of this stuff

In brief...
1) Dismantle them 
2) Sand them with something like 400 grit sand paper
3) Spray with adhesion promoter or plastic primer - if you use primer sand that when it is dry to get a smooth surface
4) Paint them - I use autoair paint but you can use any paint suitable for use on plastics like humbrol model paint or some car paints
5) To get a nice shiny durable finish you should then lacquer or clearcoat them with a product compatible  with your paints

To get the paint effect on those I built them up in layers of silver, black and a few shades of green then distressed them and scratched them up before clearcoating 

Feb 1, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #64 of 315
Really? I found my DT770s more detailed, tighter bass, and noticeably bigger soundstage than the D2000s when I owned them. The D2Ks had fuller mids, but they sounded too thick to me with a weird resonance in the upper midrange.
They are awesome. They're a big step up from the DT770. I wouldn't really say they isolate well though, they are a "closed can" but there is a small gap around the cups that allows sound leak. It's supposed to be there, but people still say they're closed. I would call them semi-closed. My girlfriend can hear what I'm listening to across the room when I use them. If sound leak isn't a big deal to you, I say get them, they sound amazing. I can't hear anything from the outside world when I use mine. 

Feb 1, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #65 of 315
Really? I found my DT770s more detailed, tighter bass, and noticeably bigger soundstage than the D2000s when I owned them. The D2Ks had fuller mids, but they sounded too thick to me with a weird resonance in the upper midrange.

That is odd, I remember my DT770s having better mids than my D2000. The mids ate a little recessed on my D2K to my ears. I'm looking to buy another pair of DT770s here in the near future, I will be able to compare them side by side then for a more accurate differences between the two. This time I'm going for the 250 Ohm or maybe, if I'm lucky, a pair of 600 Ohm Premiums.

Feb 1, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #66 of 315
Yeah I think the DT770s have more detailed mids, but the D2Ks are warmer and have a fullness to them more like the Senn HD6X0s, whereas the Beyers mids are more neutral. I think both are recessed, but different in tonal character: the Denons are richer, the Beyers are more accurate.

Mar 14, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #69 of 315
Since the DT770 80 ohm was sold, I got a pair of DT770 Premium 600 ohm headphones and just installed 2 mini xlr chassis in them. I have a pair of Denon AH-D2000s that modded to 2x mini xlr pigtails, so now I can use the cables I have for those with these. I'm pretty satisfied with how these turned out.

Pay no attention to the blue tiger stripe effect in the pics, my HTC One's lens causes that unfortunately.

May 23, 2014 at 10:23 AM Post #71 of 315
  How did you paint these? I just got some of these myself and am looking into doing some of this stuff

Dismantle the cups
Sand them with 800 grit paper to give the paint something to key into
wash off all the dust and swarf from sanding
Spray with adhesion promoter or plastic primer 
automotive paint of your choice ( for one off jobs rattle cans shuld be fine
Clear coat or laquer to protect the paint work

Here is a vid of how I do it but it is what I do for a living so it takes a while as I have to get things just right and they have to be durable enough to last for years

Jun 6, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #73 of 315
I think you're going to need to do some trial and error or get a pin mapping. Closes I can find is this LINK. Looks like pins 3 & 5 is Left, 2 & 4 is right and 1 is ground.

Maybe? Wire at your own risk.

Jun 6, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #75 of 315
Beyer doesn't make them come with a detachable cable because they don't want the average consumer to think they can buy these and go walking out the door with them connected only to their iPhone. They're studio headphones and they require an amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back