Beyer DT-660
Mar 29, 2004 at 11:29 AM Post #31 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by lini
Nicely verbalized...
wink.gif

Grinnings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

lini, VERY OT, but i just picked up a pair of 240s - they're really groovy 'phones. they imo sound like a 'hi-fi' version of the ksc35.
wink.gif

Mar 29, 2004 at 2:58 PM Post #32 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by pikawel
I consider the Beyer DT250-250's to be heaven. I was just searching "DT-660" to see if anyone had compared them or said anything like "If you loved the DT250-250's, you'll rush to the altar Visa card in hand for these babies."

I haven't found that yet. Oh well :p Thankfully, that means all I need now is about $450-500 for a new be-all-end-all portable amp
smily_headphones1.gif

What qualities do you like in the 250-250's?

Scott

Mar 29, 2004 at 6:12 PM Post #33 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by Snufkin
...they don't hang and push the pressure points under my ears like the 831/931 did (my major comfort complaint against them)

Huh?

Are you saying that there wasn't enough lateral pressure to keep the pads centered, (not enough clamping force)? Or did you just forget to take up the slack by adjusting the headband? I found that I had to wear the DT880 really tight (least amount of "clicks" as possible) to get "good" sound - it was probably positioning the driver axis above my ear canal axis.

I just put the DT931 headband on the DT880 and it makes a world of difference. It feels a pound lighter; no more scalp burn.

Mar 29, 2004 at 7:24 PM Post #34 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by scottder
What qualities do you like in the 250-250's?

Scott

In a word: everything.

It has a nice, thick bass that's never overwhelming. They're not the least bit sibilant nor do they sound rolled off or pinched (ala ATH-A9X). Everything sounds balanced.

I don't mean to say that they simply "allow me to hear the music" but I've never really tried to put into words what I love about them.

Maybe I'll try a review sometime...

Mar 30, 2004 at 1:40 AM Post #35 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by wallijonn
Huh?

Are you saying that there wasn't enough lateral pressure to keep the pads centered, (not enough clamping force)? Or did you just forget to take up the slack by adjusting the headband? I found that I had to wear the DT880 really tight (least amount of "clicks" as possible) to get "good" sound - it was probably positioning the driver axis above my ear canal axis.

I just put the DT931 headband on the DT880 and it makes a world of difference. It feels a pound lighter; no more scalp burn.

It might be something to do with the shape of my head, but I find the DT880/DT770 headbands to be perfectly comfortable, no scalp burn at all
smily_headphones1.gif

The DT531 uses the same headband design as the 831/931 but has lighter cups so I don't get the same pressure.

What would happen with the 831/931 is there were 3 main points of contact - the middle of the headband on the top of my head, and the bottom of each earcup just under my ears. It felt like most of the weight was in fact pushing against the pressure points under my ears. Not uncomfortable initially, but terrible for long periods.

May 17, 2018 at 1:17 AM Post #37 of 43
There's no "premium", but if the headband padding bothers you, you could try replacing it with a thin strip of adhesive foam (to avoid leaving a hole), then add an adhesive HD280 headband pad from ebay to improve comfort.

May 17, 2018 at 2:23 PM Post #42 of 43
Newer DT 440’s and the DT 860’s are sibling headphones. The DT 831(closed) and DT 931(open) are older dual entry cable and 250 Ohm siblings with a different headband.

It seems the DT 860 is also hard to find; I couldn't find any for sale. Curious, I had never even heard this, which makes them all the more desirable. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back