Beyer DT-660
Feb 26, 2004 at 4:29 AM Post #16 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by scottder
Ok well a context would help too, is it good bad? just a piece of PR fluff?

The DT770 uses a bass-reflex design as well.

You should shoot some emails to Dr. Meier about their sound.

Feb 26, 2004 at 4:47 AM Post #17 of 43
I would probably buy them too but for one thing. they are relatively heavy. 350grams? as opposed to 270g for the dt770 and dt880.

I mean, their foldability is a positive but the weight is a negative.

Feb 26, 2004 at 4:50 AM Post #18 of 43
The extra weight is due to the new headband from what I can tell.
It's the same headband that Ultrasone (among others) use on their headphones.
The earcups look like DT531 cups with new colour and a new grille on them.

The weight is well distributed though so they have a fairly solid feel to them.

Oh, also they include 2 sets of earpads - one whateverthefabrictheyuse is set and a (p)leather pair.

I can't remember if the DT831 used a "bass reflex" design, but the 660 definately has more punchy bass than the 831, but nothing like the dt770.

Feb 26, 2004 at 5:33 AM Post #19 of 43
I've never heard the 831, and only briefly heard the 770, how would you describe the sound to someone whose never heard either?

Feb 26, 2004 at 7:11 AM Post #20 of 43
Well overall they have a typical Beyer sound to them - it's very difficult to describe how they sound without a benchmark, and the DT770 is way off in terms of similar characteristics
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't have my pair handy while typing this so I can't go into great detail I'm afraid - I'll see if I can get time later today to bash something out.

Feb 26, 2004 at 7:28 AM Post #21 of 43
If there's any way to test it (pref. vs. 770), I'd be interested in their soundstaging/positioning capabilities. As for the bass - does it have impact? I assume so from your GF's description
basshead.gif

Might be what I'm looking for.

- Forgot to ask about the build quality. What material are those joints?

Feb 26, 2004 at 7:54 AM Post #22 of 43
Build quality is all plastic, but seems solid enough.
Not quite DT770pro quality
frown.gif

Bass quality is good, but not obtrusive. As much as I love the DT770pro bass, I often find that after a while it's a little too much
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 26, 2004 at 9:13 AM Post #25 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by luukas
All plastic, yet it weighs 80 grams more than the 770 Pro?
eek.gif

Yeah, but remember the 770pro headband is basically a thin piece of lightweight (but strong and springy) metal surrounded by some foam and pleather
smily_headphones1.gif

Also, while the DT770 cups are quite strong, they aren't heavy - the more recent Beyers (831/931/440/660/860) all have heavier cups, however the headband design of the 440/660/860 is more ergonomic (at least to me) than the 831/931 so they don't hang and push the pressure points under my ears like the 831/931 did (my major comfort complaint against them)

Feb 27, 2004 at 2:34 PM Post #26 of 43
Sorry if it seems that I'm rushing things here, but have you had time to test them out yet Snufkin? I'm basically stuck between the DT770 and DT660 right now, one being a gaming/movie can and the other more versatile. Of course if I'd keep my Grados I would have music and gaming headphones... hmm.

Feb 28, 2004 at 3:57 AM Post #27 of 43
Ok, well I'm still not sure how to describe the DT660, I wish I still had an 831 around to compare because from what I recall it's the closest sound from what I remember.

I'll start by saying they don't pair well with brighter amps.

The bass definately isn't the most impressive feature of these headphones, it's fairly subdued. Detailed and fast, but not particularly visceral.
Some types of music just don't sound right with these headphones - Trance/Dance/Electronica etc just seem to be missing something.
However tracks like Massive Attack's Angel seems to have plenty of impact and resonance. Rock style bass has impact and detail, but not a lot of slam.
I'm not sure if that makes sense btw, it's hard to describe
wink.gif

Midrange is fairly neutral, nicely detailed and not overwhelmed by other frequencies. Not intimate and lush like the DT880 though.

Upper end is quite crisp, not grado type snappy upper end, just a little bright. Lots of detail though.

Overall things sound pretty good, but the DT660 sounds a lot better for some types of music than others. For some rock they're great (The The, Jesus Jones etc) yet for some acoustic rock they aren't so good (Paul Kelly). For some more dancey music they're good (Severed heads, some NIN) but others they aren't (trance such as astral projection).

I'm a little at loss to describe the 660 really and even after extended listening I'm not sure if I like them or not - sometimes I love what I'm hearing, other times I'd much rather be listening to something else!

Also, I have to say I've got a bit of headphone fatigue at the moment, I've been testing out AKG, Alessandro and new Beyers so everything's starting to blur together a little
frown.gif

One last thing - I mentioned the DT660 being fairly comfortable despite the weight - after a few hours they really do start to get uncomfy, mainly on the top of my head. Going back to my lighter DT531s is bliss!

Forgive me for a not-so-informative post, it's a lot easier when I really, really like a pair of headphones
smily_headphones1.gif

added: ok, so I stopped listening to the DT660 and went back to the DT531 - the puzzled frown the DT660 was causing has instantly been replaced by a smile - not only do the DT531 feel like a comfy pair of slippers for my ears, they're the audio equivalent
biggrin.gif

Feb 28, 2004 at 7:37 AM Post #28 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by Snufkin
(...) not only do the DT531 feel like a comfy pair of slippers for my ears, they're the audio equivalent
biggrin.gif

Nicely verbalized...
wink.gif

Grinnings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Feb 28, 2004 at 8:57 AM Post #29 of 43
Quote:

Originally posted by Snufkin
...but others they aren't (trance such as astral projection).

Ah! Finally something that makes me not want to get those headphones
evil_smiley.gif

Thanks for taking the time to evaluate them
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 29, 2004 at 5:51 AM Post #30 of 43
I consider the Beyer DT250-250's to be heaven. I was just searching "DT-660" to see if anyone had compared them or said anything like "If you loved the DT250-250's, you'll rush to the altar Visa card in hand for these babies."

I haven't found that yet. Oh well :p Thankfully, that means all I need now is about $450-500 for a new be-all-end-all portable amp
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back