Beware: Current state of PenguinAmps
Jan 2, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #16 of 24
...sounds like they need to call themselves March of the Penguin Amps.

Jan 5, 2009 at 2:57 PM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First of, cmoy is not a Penguin Amp's design. We call them 'cmoy' because it is the hard labor of Chu Moy of Headwize.com. Just because Chu Moy allows others to use his amp design for DIY and commercial purpose freely doesn't mean other can claim the name for their own, nor is it makes any of them the 'real' deal - they are all genuine cmoy. Second, Robert (who runs PenguinAmp.com) isn't the only one who even used the name PengaAmp or Penguin Amp, especially a few years back on eBay (though he might be the most success of them all). He is most definitely not the first and only person who have the idea of putting an amp inside a tin can, so please don't call others fake.

Thank you for assuming I lacked this knowledge and attempting to give me a lesson, but you know what they say about assumptions...

Matter of the fact is if someone says to someone else [TODAY], "Hey, you should get a PenguinAmp!" we know what they're talking about. We know what's in it, we know it has good fit and finish, and we know the seller isn't going anywhere tomorrow. Any Joe Blow throwing his CMOY in to a Penguin tin [and on eBay] could be great or could be awful... One simply cannot know... I was merely warning prospective purchasers of this fact. I apologize for striking a nerve.

Jan 5, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by iammikeDOTorg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you for assuming I lacked this knowledge and attempting to give me a lesson, but you know what they say about assumptions...

...and Joe Blow who read you previous comment might start to 'assume' other cmoy builders are ripping of PenguinAmp brand name as the word 'fakes' is throwing around. I am just assuming not everyone who visit here will know that much, and I apologize if you feel offended.

Jan 5, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #20 of 24
I said in message #12 that I thought my dealings with PenguinAmps had been very reasonable ( though timescales had been rather longer than promised ) But I also mentioned an issue I'd got with a Caffeine Ultra amp. I got an email yesterday from Robert saying "am sending another one". Fair enough I think -- as long as you dont mind a little wait - then he's not a bad guy to deal with (IMHO).

Jan 16, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #21 of 24
10 days later, still nothing. His site says 5-8 days to North America (have heard folks say it got to them even more quickly), which I find to be very reasonable, but we've now exceeded that...

Sigh... never again. Am I wrong to ask for some sort of compensation?

Jan 16, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #22 of 24
I ordered a JDS Labs, Bass Boost cMoy v2.02 a couple of week back. Received it in Norway after 5 days. I was impressed
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't get why some small private companies don't understand that customer service is as important as their product. They are very dependent on getting good reviews by their buyers. If they start lying to their customers it is just a matter of time before their little business sees a drop in their sale.

Hope you eventually get your amp, and that you will be satisfied.

Jan 17, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...and Joe Blow who read you previous comment might start to 'assume' other cmoy builders are ripping of PenguinAmp brand name as the word 'fakes' is throwing around. I am just assuming not everyone who visit here will know that much, and I apologize if you feel offended.

You are correct, in any case.
smily_headphones1.gif
The history can be read by anyone from Chu Moy himself on Headwize:HeadWize - Project: A Pocket Headphone Amplifier by Chu Moy

Just to be clear, Jim Burruss is first credited with putting a CMoy circuit headphone amp in a mint tin -an Altoids Peppermints case in September, 1999. Head-Fi and Headwize user "Apheared", aka Michael Shelton, was the first to put a CMoy in a Penguin Mints tin in late 2000 - January 2001. He even sent an e-mail with pics to the Prime Mintister of Penguin Mints (Home of the Original Caffeinated Mint). He replied back and posted the e-mail with pics on Penguin's website at the time (Jan, 2001).

Jan 21, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #24 of 24
It arrived! One week short of three months.

It seems he threw in his USB DAC Cable for my troubles; I don't remember ordering it.

Can't wait until it opens up! Soundstage is noticeably wider and bass is much sharper and more powerful.

Have it powering my Grado SR80s here at work. Will also give it a shot on PX100s and a few other things I have lying around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back