Beware: Current state of PenguinAmps
Dec 31, 2008 at 3:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

iammikeDOTorg

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

I have been a lurker for years when I have needed to do research... It saddens me that my first post here is what it is.

Something is awry with PenguinAmps. I would suggest not ordering from them for now.

October 21 - Ordered a Royal.
November 20 - Received confirmation that my amp had shipped.
December 5 - Contact them, receive no response.
December 15 - Contact again, am notified that the tins are sitting on his desk waiting to be drilled. He was going to get right to it.
--- Wait, then why did you tell me it shipped a month ago?
December 31 - Still no amp or update, contacted again.

Will update when news comes in. I've been really excited to finally get an amp, but would have stayed far away from a PA if I knew it would take 1/4 of a year.

Dec 31, 2008 at 3:58 PM Post #2 of 24
I've been doing quite a bit of research on portable amps. But this is the very first time I heard of PenguinAmps.

Better stick with the well-known makers. Hope your issue gets worked out.

Dec 31, 2008 at 4:19 PM Post #3 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Signal2Noise /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been doing quite a bit of research on portable amps. But this is the very first time I heard of PenguinAmps.

Better stick with the well-known makers. Hope your issue gets worked out.

Wow, they have been talked about and discussed many, many times. There are even some on the for sale forums. Do a search. They are a tin version of the lyrix amp. The op is'nt the first person to complain about getting their amp from him.

Dec 31, 2008 at 4:39 PM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Signal2Noise /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's very odd, they're one of the bigger names. Take a look at the site: PenguinAmp.com, they are really nice looking and apparently sound pretty good for the buck. If you can find one used, you'd be doing no wrong by jumping on it.

I too read a few people having issues with getting their stuff, but nothing like this. As a matter of fact, most of what I read was people absolutely astonished by the amps getting built and shipped overseas to their doorsteps in a matter of weeks.

Dec 31, 2008 at 5:29 PM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by nvkid909 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow.

yeah i was looking at them too. cheers for the heads up.

sounds like a project one should probably do themselves.

some of us have more money than time
beerchug.gif

Dec 31, 2008 at 5:44 PM Post #7 of 24
Cool. Thanks for the link and setting me straight. I just had never heard of them in all the threads I was searching thru.

Cheers!

(It's unlikely I'd consider them based on the OP's experience however.)

Dec 31, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you can buy them off ebay as well. type in "cmoy" and you'll find some results.

You can, but many that you'll find are fakes. Look for internal pics that match what is on their website.

Dec 31, 2008 at 6:27 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by iammikeDOTorg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello all,

I have been a lurker for years when I have needed to do research... It saddens me that my first post here is what it is.

Something is awry with PenguinAmps. I would suggest not ordering from them for now.

October 21 - Ordered a Royal.
November 20 - Received confirmation that my amp had shipped.
December 5 - Contact them, receive no response.
December 15 - Contact again, am notified that the tins are sitting on his desk waiting to be drilled. He was going to get right to it.
--- Wait, then why did you tell me it shipped a month ago?
December 31 - Still no amp or update, contacted again.

Will update when news comes in. I've been really excited to finally get an amp, but would have stayed far away from a PA if I knew it would take 1/4 of a year.

strange how this happens...i've seen a few warnings re other sellers like xin and power...sth (can't remember the exact name) - seems like they are all sellers who make good gear, but simply get overrun with orders and then they fail to communicate the situation honestly/they don't want to loose business - why not just tell the truth and let the buyer decide is he/she wants to wait that long...anyway this is the first time i hear it re penguinamp - i've heard before that the wait is long, but at least it was honestly communicated...he is reputable - so i wouldn't be worried re that the product will eventually reach your doorstep, but if i was you i'd ask for some compensation re the long wait and poor communication...
k

Dec 31, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #12 of 24
I think the comment re "good gear but gets swamped etc " has hit the nail on the head!! I have bought 3 times from Robert Gehrke and generally been satisfied - though had a longer wait than quoted. I ordered a Caffeine/Penguin Ultra at the end of October - quoted approx 3 weeks - arrived 17 December!!

In general I'd say he makes good amps -- and eventually gets round to answering emails. So maybe like the Xins -- it's a case of "be prepared to wait a little longer than you think/are told!"

PS I've posted the above to present my fair view - unfortunately ( as another thread I started says) I have an issue with my Caffeine Ultra -it works at low volumes but when I turn the volume knob up the sound cuts out! Most odd. I've asked Robert G for advice - am assuming a repair/replace is needed. Will let this forum know what happens.Regards to all.

Dec 31, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

You can, but many that you'll find are fakes. Look for internal pics that match what is on their website.

There's some that use the Penguin Caffeine tin, but they don't claim to be Penguin amps.

Jan 1, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

First of, cmoy is not a Penguin Amp's design. We call them 'cmoy' because it is the hard labor of Chu Moy of Headwize.com. Just because Chu Moy allows others to use his amp design for DIY and commercial purpose freely doesn't mean other can claim the name for their own, nor is it makes any of them the 'real' deal - they are all genuine cmoy. Second, Robert (who runs PenguinAmp.com) isn't the only one who even used the name PengaAmp or Penguin Amp, especially a few years back on eBay (though he might be the most success of them all). He is most definitely not the first and only person who have the idea of putting an amp inside a tin can, so please don't call others fake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back