Better upgrade: Total Bithead or Grado 225i?
May 1, 2011 at 6:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

teambayern

New Head-Fier
I am an aspiring audiophile and in the last year I've ditched my low grade mp3's for lossless files and gone from Bose Triports to some Grado 60's for home and ATH-M50's for work (like that they are closed, but I much prefer the grados).  I've never enjoyed listening to music so much in my life!

Now i'm ready to make a next step.  Right now, I run music through either an ipod, macbook, or lenovo work computer.  I 'm thinking about either making the jump to a better headphone (the 225i) or a DAC/amp (Total Bithead).  Both are in the same ballpark for price.  Obviously I want both, but the budget won't allow it right now.

I've done research on both the bithead and the 225's, but I wanted another round of opinions before making a decision.  The two biggest questions i have are whether a macbook driving some sr60's (with such low impedence) will benefit from a Bithead, and whether some 225's without an amp will sound better than the 60s?  All advice welcome and appreciated.

May 11, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #3 of 3
In the SQ for money stakes its usually better to spend the extra money on transducers.  Grado's are easy to drive and if any of your sources had a glaring deficiency you'd have already spotted it with your M50s so its probably best to go with the headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back