better "strings" than IE80 ?
Nov 25, 2012 at 12:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

eyal1983

500+ Head-Fier
Hi all,
i'm not even talking about classical music, but when listening to alt. rock ("Belle and Sebastian - i'm waking up to us")
i can't stand those "strings".
What IEMs are there (100-500$), with FUN sig. (with deep bass), sweet on the mids, with big soundstage... that can give me better strings? (needs to be an upgrade over the ie80)
I don't mind going customs..

thanks!

Nov 26, 2012 at 9:07 AM Post #6 of 18
The sound of strings, instruments sounds natural than most iems. Vocal is in the back, a little drawback. Heavy on highs and lows but still respectable.
Classical music sounds fantastic on this iem!

Nov 26, 2012 at 9:45 AM Post #8 of 18
Well then the IE80 was a wrong pick to begin with. You could take a step back and save yourself some money. GR07 and EPH-100 come to my mind when talking about a natural sound with some musicality.

Either way, for strings I'd avoid most BA IEMs unless you're willing to spend all of your budget.

Nov 26, 2012 at 10:05 AM Post #10 of 18
I listen to a lot of acoustic music and I find the se535 fantastic for vocals while still having a very natural sounding guitar. The soundstage is wide(some find it too wide) and although the bass does not have as much slam its quite accurate and well layered, with the right fit I feel the bass has great impact. I have light headphone experience, my most recent being Momentums ,se535 hd280 and my brothers hd650.

Nov 26, 2012 at 10:12 AM Post #11 of 18
^ I agree that vocals sound nice with the SE535 but I also found them to be very fatiguing. As for strings, the sounded very artificial as with most BAs.
That's why I recommend dynamics for natural sound. They have a cohesiveness and harmony that multi-BAs lack... unless you got to the 500 $ range.

But even then I prefer the FX700 over Heir 4.Ai, any Shure and some custom demos I've tried.
You could try W4 or UE900 as they pull the notes better together than other BAs, from my perception. But both don't do vocals that well.

Nov 29, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #12 of 18
I'm currently listening via my ie80s to the Beaux Arts Trio play a Schubert Piano trio and the sound quality of the violin and cello is simply beautiful and so natural. Therefore I am somewhat puzzled by your post. Maybe your previous listening experiences have trained your ears to hear something else when you listen to string sound. If that is the case then the recommendations above will not be helpful to you as they will also produce a similar sound to what you are now hearing with the ie80s

Nov 29, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #13 of 18
hhhmmm..
then there is probably something wrong with the file itself.. i'll try to get another copy of it.

another problem i have with the 80's, is the recessed male vocals.

BTW 
I ordered Westone 4, should arrive next week.

Nov 29, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #14 of 18
OK
regarding to the strings question:
I got a copy of "Secret Garden - Nocturne"
it has gobs of strings in the song.. and after listening for the entire song... I can't complain there.

Nov 29, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:
hhhmmm..
then there is probably something wrong with the file itself.. i'll try to get another copy of it.

another problem i have with the 80's, is the recessed male vocals.

BTW 
I ordered Westone 4, should arrive next week.

Good choice on the W4. I feel they do strings and pianos (which in a way are strings too) really well. The bass has good extension, but I'm not sure if you'll miss the midbass of the IE80 (I had the IE8 before, and I'm assuming the IE80 is similar.) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back