better sound @ late night?
Sep 28, 2005 at 9:21 PM Post #16 of 32
there was a post a while back the exact opposite of this one, IIRC it was along the lines of does bass sound thin in the mornings. Perhaps that thread could provide some insight

Sep 28, 2005 at 9:22 PM Post #17 of 32
I definitely have noticed this myself. I started noticing this a few years ago with my two channel speaker system when it got closer toward midnight. Suddenly everything just sounded better. I've noticed this with my headphone rig too, in fact just last night I noticed things sounded awesome toward midnight. There has been a lot of discussions on this at Audio Asylum and a lot of the same points we are discussing as to "why" were the same things discussed over there - with the electricity factor being the most noted reason why.

Sep 29, 2005 at 12:32 AM Post #21 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbobuk
also dont overestimate electrical interference... in most (?) houses you wont really notice any difference due to electrical changes.. whether this susceptibility changes from country to country i don't know.. all i do know is that Russ Andrews tries to make you spend as much money on mains cables and filters as equipment.. i've got his silencer which is about the best for price to performance.. its no longer in use.. I swore i could hear a difference, as i did with the yello cable i then brought my dad for christmas for his little portable music system. I'd tested that too and swore i could hear it.. i was so convinced i commisioned a blind listening test on Christmas day to see.. and was rubbish, and didn't have a clue.

I fear placebo a lot of the time now, less so with hardware changes.. i've got more i can spend my money on to be worrying about cables and the like..

Back to the topic tho, perhaps i'm lucky, tho the mess of cables in my room suggests otherwise.. thankfully i hear no problems with my sound whenever i listen..

I do however agree with everyone here that late night listening is best.. heck, early morning listening why not!! A bit of alcohol seems to help me too
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes you probably are lucky. We don't simply deal with just the placebo effect here. We have measurment tools. Get an AC noise filtering tool, or an ingress meter and check out the amount of disturbance in your AC line. It changes radically for many of us, aand AC is not a particularly clean source of power, its just safer and more stable and can be run long distances.

Neil

Sep 29, 2005 at 12:48 AM Post #22 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by neilvg
Yes you probably are lucky. We don't simply deal with just the placebo effect here. We have measurment tools. Get an AC noise filtering tool, or an ingress meter and check out the amount of disturbance in your AC line. It changes radically for many of us, aand AC is not a particularly clean source of power, its just safer and more stable and can be run long distances.
Neil

I rented a noise sniffer when buying the silencer, it gave out audible noise for the noise in the electical line.. i tried it in various places around the house, plugging in the silencer lowered it to be inaudible.. all very good.

I never bothered to check to see if it was worse in the day or at night.. dammit wish i had now.

I'm not saying that electrical load (you sometimes dont get the required voltages when the system is under load by lots of users) or electrical noise doesn't vary with time of day or with all these things that supposedly improve/fix it.. All i'm saying is its not clear whether fixing these things has an audible result on the music you're listening to.. its something that should be measurable, but to my experience i've never seen anything proven by measurements.. and again without blind tests its hard to be sure you're not suffering from placebo.

With audio and hifi its almost a faith system, you can believe in placebo, or believe in fixes, or even varying equipment being plainly audible.. i'm not sure where i stand on this.. there was a time when i was all for everything, "programmed" as it were by hifi mags and companies like Russ Andrews into thinking it was right to spend, hundreds, nay thousands on things... I've since realised personally myself that placebo plays a big role in my audio listening perceptions.. on equipment and heck even headphones.. i choose to embrace it when i want that "free" buzz from "believing" its better cause i've got some new kit that should be.. but for me personally i draw the line at equipment now, leaving interconnects and issues like power for others to explore. If there was a real shift where something was measured or proved in proper blind tests then i'd take a bit more notice of such things and perhaps start spending money in those areas again.. until that day i'm happy not to.

As you said tho, in this case.. perhaps i am lucky.. its just my room is full of electrical things... as far as localised potential problems with power, my room's about as bad as i could imagine (4-5 PCs, tv, wifi routers, consoles, various amps etc etc.. interconnects going near power blocks) but i'm happy to accept a bit of electrical calming late at night and more the biggest thing for me, my state of mind and how i'm keen to fall into the music.

Good luck with anyone else's philosophy on how to enjoy their music.. you may be right, as although i want blind test results, by partaking in them myself i know that they are a pain to do, and are very far removed from the process of settling down and enjoying music long term.. it leaves enough areas of doubt that genuine differences could be hidden from blind testing but having an effect long term.

All i wanted to do was to provide the original poster with reasoning that it may NOT be electrically related, which conveniently means all he has to do is relax, wait for that time of the night, get his brain in the zone.. and not have to spend any money on power conditioners and the like to try and get the same enjoyment at other times of the day.

Enjoy your music
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm off for some late night listening myself
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 29, 2005 at 5:40 AM Post #24 of 32
I suppose only one thing is for certain: are you enjoying the music? Right? Because after that who cares.. many an audiophile has succumbed to the downright sneaky disease "audiophilia nervosa". Many of us are recovering...

And on that note... I have seen it make a difference. But it usually does not make or break a system, and if you cannot enjoy listening to music because of low quality power cords or conditioners, you have bigger problems.

Neil

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimbobuk
I rented a noise sniffer when buying the silencer, it gave out audible noise for the noise in the electical line.. i tried it in various places around the house, plugging in the silencer lowered it to be inaudible.. all very good.

I never bothered to check to see if it was worse in the day or at night.. dammit wish i had now.

I'm not saying that electrical load (you sometimes dont get the required voltages when the system is under load by lots of users) or electrical noise doesn't vary with time of day or with all these things that supposedly improve/fix it.. All i'm saying is its not clear whether fixing these things has an audible result on the music you're listening to.. its something that should be measurable, but to my experience i've never seen anything proven by measurements.. and again without blind tests its hard to be sure you're not suffering from placebo.

With audio and hifi its almost a faith system, you can believe in placebo, or believe in fixes, or even varying equipment being plainly audible.. i'm not sure where i stand on this.. there was a time when i was all for everything, "programmed" as it were by hifi mags and companies like Russ Andrews into thinking it was right to spend, hundreds, nay thousands on things... I've since realised personally myself that placebo plays a big role in my audio listening perceptions.. on equipment and heck even headphones.. i choose to embrace it when i want that "free" buzz from "believing" its better cause i've got some new kit that should be.. but for me personally i draw the line at equipment now, leaving interconnects and issues like power for others to explore. If there was a real shift where something was measured or proved in proper blind tests then i'd take a bit more notice of such things and perhaps start spending money in those areas again.. until that day i'm happy not to.

As you said tho, in this case.. perhaps i am lucky.. its just my room is full of electrical things... as far as localised potential problems with power, my room's about as bad as i could imagine (4-5 PCs, tv, wifi routers, consoles, various amps etc etc.. interconnects going near power blocks) but i'm happy to accept a bit of electrical calming late at night and more the biggest thing for me, my state of mind and how i'm keen to fall into the music.

Good luck with anyone else's philosophy on how to enjoy their music.. you may be right, as although i want blind test results, by partaking in them myself i know that they are a pain to do, and are very far removed from the process of settling down and enjoying music long term.. it leaves enough areas of doubt that genuine differences could be hidden from blind testing but having an effect long term.

All i wanted to do was to provide the original poster with reasoning that it may NOT be electrically related, which conveniently means all he has to do is relax, wait for that time of the night, get his brain in the zone.. and not have to spend any money on power conditioners and the like to try and get the same enjoyment at other times of the day.

Enjoy your music
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm off for some late night listening myself
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 29, 2005 at 8:28 AM Post #25 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins
I dont think it can ever get late enough for the RS-1 to sound as good as the Senn. 600 or 650.
wink.gif

As long as you have to think, you will not see the light yet Tom. Try further.
tongue.gif

Cheers

Sep 29, 2005 at 5:10 PM Post #28 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
My favorite time to listen to my K1000's is around 2-4am, it is the most quiet then.

-Ed

Where the hell do you live????

LOL

Neil

Sep 29, 2005 at 5:54 PM Post #30 of 32
I don't have ambient noise problem, I live almost in wood
biggrin.gif
15km from city. And my AC power IS horrible. We have transformer station and it gives power to 7 houses, main fuse is 40 amps
confused.gif
and last on the line sometime can't get enough power. BTW, I'm first on the line.
One day my dish washing machine died and technician said
eek.gif
eek.gif
about the AC. It's jumping from ~195V...230V
plainface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back