better sound @ late night?
Sep 28, 2005 at 7:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

tola555

100+ Head-Fier
All day I love music of senn. hd 600 but at night they start to impress me. I wear them for hours but they sound after 22.00 a lot better. Why? I have some long listening at morning but nothing same.

Electricity has less parasitics, psychological case, etc ... ?

Sep 28, 2005 at 7:38 PM Post #2 of 32
There are a few reasons:

1. Less ambient noise.
2. More mentally and physically relaxed.
3. Less hash in the electrical grid.

Sep 28, 2005 at 7:45 PM Post #3 of 32
I love listening to music at night... later the better. I think it's probably mostly to do with ambient noise and mental state rather than electrical noise, but it does make sense. Either way... i find after 2am music sounds that much better.

Sep 28, 2005 at 8:11 PM Post #5 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Neverender
ah god. i have to buy a nice pair of Hd 600s for night music now. i wonder if you'd have the same experience with RS-1s

I dont think it can ever get late enough for the RS-1 to sound as good as the Senn. 600 or 650.
wink.gif

Sep 28, 2005 at 8:16 PM Post #6 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by viper_45
I love listening to music at night... later the better. I think it's probably mostly to do with ambient noise and mental state rather than electrical noise, but it does make sense. Either way... i find after 2am music sounds that much better.

do not understimate the electrical noise, in some houses it can drastically affect the audio quality, in some hours of the day i give up listening to music, and i'm totally relaxed with total silence around me.
however i reduced this issue with some schaffner filters

Sep 28, 2005 at 8:17 PM Post #7 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins
I dont think it can ever get late enough for the RS-1 to sound as good as the Senn. 600 or 650.
wink.gif

Does this mean we need to have another poll ......

What cable do you have on your senns?
What time is best for your Senns?

Only joking .... they always sound good to me but they're just a bit more precious in the night time because you take nothing for granted at that time for some reason!
600smile.gif
600smile.gif
600smile.gif

Sep 28, 2005 at 8:24 PM Post #8 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins
wink.gif

True, at that time of night one would want a can on their head that can induce sleep easier.
wink.gif
(touche!,
tongue.gif
)

Sep 28, 2005 at 8:27 PM Post #9 of 32
I find that late night listening just before I go to bed is the best time. At that time it's dead quiet in my home and I can just relax and listen to the music.

Sep 28, 2005 at 8:34 PM Post #10 of 32
that's the only time i have to really listen - but i actually prefer the ambient din of stuff going on - because the dead silence punctuated only by my whirring hard drive is starting to get to me hehe.

Sep 28, 2005 at 8:34 PM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oski
There are a few reasons:

1. Less ambient noise.
2. More mentally and physically relaxed.
3. Less hash in the electrical grid.

Probably all of the above, and some. tola555 don't forget, there are lots of different ways to alter your state of mind before listening!
biggrin.gif

Sep 28, 2005 at 8:36 PM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by tola555
All day I love music of senn. hd 600 but at night they start to impress me. I wear them for hours but they sound after 22.00 a lot better. Why? I have some long listening at morning but nothing same.

Electricity has less parasitics, psychological case, etc ... ?

Maybe that's why most concert halls/bars are dark? to provide optimal audio perception?
k1000smile.gif

Sep 28, 2005 at 8:43 PM Post #13 of 32
I find all of this to be true. I can barely get to sleep at night if I'm not listening to music.

Sep 28, 2005 at 8:46 PM Post #14 of 32
Remember, especially if it is dark, the perception of the sound field and the imaging will seem better. Since there are less visual cues competing for your attention, your ears will be able to accept the 'illusion' better and perceive more.

Also, I agree, do NOT underestimate electrical interference, noises, ingress, etc... These are massive factors in some areas and if you are not plugging your equipment into AC filters/cleaners etc... (which do not current limit the amps) you are probably getting less noise at night than during the day.

Also, at night, we tend to be calmer, and the din of the day has gone down and I for one believe that different times of the day induce subtle yet very potent psychological states or tendencies which in general are conducive to headphone listening (unless the music is abrasive).

Neil

Sep 28, 2005 at 9:08 PM Post #15 of 32
also dont overestimate electrical interference... in most (?) houses you wont really notice any difference due to electrical changes.. whether this susceptibility changes from country to country i don't know.. all i do know is that Russ Andrews tries to make you spend as much money on mains cables and filters as equipment.. i've got his silencer which is about the best for price to performance.. its no longer in use.. I swore i could hear a difference, as i did with the yello cable i then brought my dad for christmas for his little portable music system. I'd tested that too and swore i could hear it.. i was so convinced i commisioned a blind listening test on Christmas day to see.. and was rubbish, and didn't have a clue.

I fear placebo a lot of the time now, less so with hardware changes.. i've got more i can spend my money on to be worrying about cables and the like..

Back to the topic tho, perhaps i'm lucky, tho the mess of cables in my room suggests otherwise.. thankfully i hear no problems with my sound whenever i listen..

I do however agree with everyone here that late night listening is best.. heck, early morning listening why not!! A bit of alcohol seems to help me too
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back