Better Sound for Mac Users- Pure Music Player
Mar 13, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #16 of 150
Yeah, I downloaded and gave it a try as well.
But it only lasted some few minutes, and it's now gone. For one the UI was not to my liking, taking over the upper part of the screen with scrolling song title and more. Second of all I do not get why it has a volume control, as I though it was all about bit-perfect playback.
"PREFS" button in the Docking control did not work either.

That does not say it will not be a match for other users of course.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 13, 2010 at 11:59 PM Post #17 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by stringgz301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I downloaded the demo and tried it. It is really intended for users that want to control the volume on their Mac. It appears to have a highly configurable and sophisticated set of algorithms for adjusting the volume and EQ (along with a number of other features). It also appears to integrate tightly (although using a highly non-Mac-like interface) with iTunes.

For those of us that just want a bit-perfect audio player and control the volume using an external headphone amp I don't really see anything that I'd pay money for. iTunes or VLC both do that just fine.
wink.gif

I just wanted to point out a few things that may be misleading in your note. There is no EQ functionality with Pure Music. And 0db volume setting is bit perfect with no dither applied. In fact all volume control dither settings can be bypassed and turned off. This is akin to running itunes at full volume.

As for paying money for a volume control? Hmmm itunes and VLC came out sounding much less natural in my listening tests. For me it is all about the sound quality, but I do respect ones preference for something else. At least you gave it a try.

cheers

Mar 14, 2010 at 12:07 AM Post #18 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I downloaded and gave it a try as well.
But it only lasted some few minutes, and it's now gone. For one the UI was not to my liking, taking over the upper part of the screen with scrolling song title and more. Second of all I do not get why it has a volume control, as I though it was all about bit-perfect playback.
"PREFS" button in the Docking control did not work either.

That does not say it will not be a match for other users of course.
smily_headphones1.gif

FYI the scrolling info and meters can be turned off. Yes, the user interface is different in that it require itunes to be open so you can use it to find your songs. You just need to re-size things a bit. Not sure why it disappeared on you.

The reason it has a volume control and a good one is for those folks who do not use a preamp and run their dac directly into their amp. This allows one to skip the added component of a pre and still have good control of volume with minimal loss of resolution.

I use a pre so 0db is the setting I use all the time and it is bit perfect.

At least you gave it a spin

cheers

Mar 14, 2010 at 2:22 PM Post #20 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You guys say it is 64 bit but I just went into my activity monitor and it is not reported as a 64 bit torrent.

I am not technical but does this help? It is from the Pure Music "read me" file.

With the Monitor setting in Pure Music at 0 dB, the
original audio isn't altered at all: you get direct playthrough via a lossless, 64
bit audio kernel to your high-end DAC.

The iTunes Music Server feature uses iTunes as a music database and user
interface, while all audio is rendered and played via Pure Music's low CPU
overhead audiophile quality 64 bit resolution playback engine (64 bit resolution
audio is an entirely different thing than the 64 bit memory addressing now
available in Apple's Snow Leopard OS 10.6).

Mar 14, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #21 of 150
Quote:

Originally Posted by stringgz301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For those of us that just want a bit-perfect audio player and control the volume using an external headphone amp I don't really see anything that I'd pay money for. iTunes or VLC both do that just fine.
wink.gif

I agree, why would you be using anything else? Is there even a noticible difference in quality using a different playback device?

Mar 14, 2010 at 7:21 PM Post #22 of 150
I downloaded this software yesterday after finding this thread. After listening for a while, my impression is that the sound is a bit more natural and that both soundstage and imaging are better than with iTunes (I'm using an intel macbook from 2007 running snow leopard). By better I mean that the soundstage appears a bit wider and it is easier to pinpoint instrument location in the recording. The bass also seems to be a bit better fleshed out and fuller. Qualitatively, I seem to be enjoying the music more and switching between the two, iTunes seems a bit dynamically flat by comparison. I'm curious to hear other impressions about this software and also how it compares to Amarra. As a frame of reference, I listen to primarily classical music.

Mar 14, 2010 at 9:01 PM Post #23 of 150
I tried Amarra on my rig (mini-version with key) and could not perceive any differences via headphones or via a very revealing speaker-based system in a dedicated room. My friend had the same experience in the latter (speakers) and could not hear a difference. We were using only standard rez files...not hi-rez downloads. I tried WAV, AIFF and ALAC. I could not hear any difference with Amarra on vs. iTunes playing the same cut. There's an article on Amarra in the current Absolute Sound. I haven't tried PureMusic.

Sep 4, 2010 at 7:16 AM Post #25 of 150
Am using Pure Music to allow the automated switching of audio encoding schemes without having to close iTunes, fire up Midi Setup etc. 

Have not downloaded iTunes 10 yet as am unsure whether they are compatible. Anyone tried?

Sep 4, 2010 at 7:59 AM Post #26 of 150
iTunes 10 and pure music 1.61 seem to be working fine together for me!

Sep 8, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #30 of 150
Dynobot,
Unfortunately I don't listen to internet radio so I'm not much help here!!
frown.gif

Quote:

How does internet radio work???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back