Better Sound for Mac Users- Pure Music Player
Jun 8, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #136 of 150

Quote:
For many users, players like Amarra and Pure Music WILL make a difference. It all boils down to iTune's rather iffy audio engine that doesn't always nicely handle the higher bitrate files it accepts. Basically, something like Pure Music or Amarra will natively play these files and not do some on-the-fly conversion for the 24 bit files in your library.

If you define "nicely" as playing the native sampling rate without shutting down iTunes, re-setting to the rate of the file, then re-launching, this is absolutely correct. And if you have enough hi-res files to pay for this convenience it is a good reason to own Pure Music. But the implications here are inaccurate; there's nothing iffy about iTunes' audio engine and nothing unpredictable about the process. iTunes never changes automatically from one sampling rate to another; this has to be re-set in the operating system. 

P

Jun 8, 2011 at 2:24 PM Post #137 of 150
In my case, all my sound quality comparisons have been with CDP's e.g. Meridian, Ah!, etc. My assumptin about iTunes is that it is a multi-media (audio and video) SW player designed for the masses; it is primarily tuned for compressed media. I want a dedicated music only foundation. Pure Music, Amara, et al, are designed with one purpose only, music reproduction. However, iTunes a an excellent media library management tool.  

Recently, I took my Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2, MacBook Pro and external HD full of lossless media to a buddy's house. We spent the next six hours in a music fest evaluating and just having fun listening to all sorts of music, everything from standard Rebook to 24/192KHz. It was an ear-opener for my friend to hear what computer audio could provide, so much so, that the next week he ordered a bunch of new audio toys! 

We listemed and compared CDs, the equivalent hi-rez versions, as well as upsampled versions (via Pure Music). Much of the CD equivalent hi-rez material is often remastered, so sadly, it's not a direct comparison. But heck, even 44.1 material sounds excellent on the Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2! Media mastered in hi-rez just sounds superb! There are no worries that there might be something lacking, since it's as close to the master as it's gong to get. The new SW playback possible with the likes of Pure Music means that we are as close to the master as we can possibly get, without sitting in the same room as the likes of Bob Katz, and other audio engineers.

Not only is sound quality at a new pinacle using Pure Music (and other's), but the ability to instantly, and randomly cue music tracks is a godsend. I use my silver (and gold) CDs to rip to the hard disk (using XLD). If I ever revert to disc-based playback, it will be for the black, oil-based vinyl variety, amongst other reasons, partly for nostalgic reasons. Although, to attain a similar level of fidelity possible even with CD Redbook playback, you'd have to spend litereally thousands more than the equivalent SW solutions! 

Jun 8, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #138 of 150

Quote:
My assumptin about iTunes is that it is a multi-media (audio and video) SW player designed for the masses; it is primarily tuned for compressed media. I want a dedicated music only foundation. Pure Music, Amara, et al, are designed with one purpose only, music reproduction. However, iTunes a an excellent media library management tool.

Interesting. How do you assume iTunes, or any other digital media player has been "tuned" for compressed media or for higher fidelity?

P

Jun 8, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #139 of 150
popcorn.gif

Jun 12, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #142 of 150
Hi all...  I was seeing a lot of opinions and comments on "integer" on the discussions here and the "Mac Players" thread, some of which seemed hyperbolic or misinformed, so I thought I'd drop a note to Channel D to see what the deal was.  Here's the reply, for anyone wanting to understand what "Integer Mode" actually is...  Bottom line: integer is "bit perfect."  No DSP, no modification to floating point.

--------

"Integer" as used in this context simply means using the device driver's nonmixable native integer format instead of floating point. (This is not provided by all device drivers or audio devices because Apple does not require that this be supported.) In Integer mode the audio is read from disk as integer format audio and conveyed to the device driver as integer without any alteration. As such, there is no opportunity for any signal processing, which could be as complex as real-time upsampling, or as simple as volume control, both of which require floating point (and upsampling done properly requires 64 bit floating point to avoid rounding or accumulation errors). Without Integer Pure Music loads the audio information in the same manner, as memory efficient packed integer audio (taking considerably less memory than would floating point format), but passed to the driver as floating point audio, after any optional signal processing, such as volume control, dithering, signal processing by plug-ins, etc.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jan 1, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #143 of 150
Hey guys! I'm new to Mac and Pure Music and I'm trying to import some FLAC files to iTunes using this app. FLACs are imported successfully and play normally, but the original FLAC tags (artist name, composer, track title etc.) won't get imported at all... Am I missing some step?

Jan 2, 2012 at 9:49 AM Post #144 of 150
Anyone?

Jan 3, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #145 of 150

Quote:
Hey guys! I'm new to Mac and Pure Music and I'm trying to import some FLAC files to iTunes using this app. FLACs are imported successfully and play normally, but the original FLAC tags (artist name, composer, track title etc.) won't get imported at all... Am I missing some step?

I've had pure music for a while now and have never imported FLACs into Itunes before so i can't really offer much help. However, i usually convert all my FLACs to ALACs in order to play them on my iDevices and all tags are imported smoothly and without fanfare.

Jan 3, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #146 of 150
Just press <command> <F> from within PM. The input dialogue pops up. Then drag a folder or a selection of FLAC files on top of the dialogue window. Poof! They are in iTunes!

Remember, PM only uses iTunes as a database.  

Quote:
I've had pure music for a while now and have never imported FLACs into Itunes before so i can't really offer much help. However, i usually convert all my FLACs to ALACs in order to play them on my iDevices and all tags are imported smoothly and without fanfare.

Jan 3, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #147 of 150

Quote:
Just press <command> <F> from within PM. The input dialogue pops up. Then drag a folder or a selection of FLAC files on top of the dialogue window. Poof! They are in iTunes!

Remember, PM only uses iTunes as a database.  

Thanks for that mate! :)

Aug 17, 2021 at 2:49 AM Post #148 of 150
Has anyone compared latest versions of Amarra, Fidelia and Pure Music?

Aug 19, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #149 of 150
Has anyone compared latest versions of Amarra, Fidelia and Pure Music?
I compared Amarra, Audirvana 3.5, Roon, HQP Desktope and JRMC.
The Amarra Luxe has the most natural and comfortable sound, with a slight accent on the bass.
Behind it I would put Audirvana and HQP.
I listened to Fidelia a few years ago, in my opinion it was inferior to Audirvana 2.x

Aug 20, 2021 at 9:45 AM Post #150 of 150
I compared Amarra, Audirvana 3.5, Roon, HQP Desktope and JRMC.
The Amarra Luxe has the most natural and comfortable sound, with a slight accent on the bass.
Behind it I would put Audirvana and HQP.
I listened to Fidelia a few years ago, in my opinion it was inferior to Audirvana 2.x

I have preferred Fidelia to Audirvana so far, but did not use Amarra or Pure Music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back