Better Seperation and Soundstage....
Nov 20, 2010 at 8:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Thommohawk

100+ Head-Fier
Can I get a list of headphones (up to $300 ish) that have better instrument seperation, soundstage and detail than the Beyer DT 990 Pro - I'm just curious. Also any with similar bass would be great but not essential to this.

Thanks.

Nov 20, 2010 at 8:16 AM Post #2 of 8
Don´t know about equal bass but a used Pro 900? Pro 2900 should most likely be even better but maybe hard to find within the budget.

Nov 20, 2010 at 11:24 AM Post #3 of 8
Well here a list for ya:

Sennhieser HD595, HD600

Audio-Technica ATH-AD900

Denon AH-D2000, D5000

Beyerdynamic DT 880

Ultrasone HFi 2400

AKG K 701

There ya go.  You know, a little research on your part goes a long way to answering your own questions.

Nov 20, 2010 at 12:26 PM Post #4 of 8

Quote:
You know, a little research on your part goes a long way to answering your own questions.

It does when you want to spend months agonizing over which headphones to buy based on your own needs, which I've just finished doing, but sometimes when a curiosity question pops up it's sometimes easier and quicker to just jot a quick post down and ask people directly based on their own experiences....and it saves me trawling through outdated threads for an hour or two looking for specific info that ends up leading me nowhere and really was it any less effort on your part or mine for that matter just to post a quick one ? Not at all. :)

But thanks for the list. Much appreciated. 

Nov 20, 2010 at 2:29 PM Post #5 of 8
Ah, the "Me" generation....

Quote:
really was it any less effort on your part or mine for that matter just to post a quick one ? Not at all. :)

Nov 20, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
Ah, the "Me" generation....

Quote:
really was it any less effort on your part or mine for that matter just to post a quick one ? Not at all. :)

If you'd read any of my posts since I've been here you'd know that I'm not one of these idiots that asks without researching, I've done nothing but research since I've been here. But when a lot of posts and info are from two years ago or more that entitles one to at least a little wiggle room. As it is I don't think my question deserved to be jumped on and if I'd known it'd get jumped on by the research brigade I wouldn't have wasted my energy in posting it as I'm certainly not desperate enough to know the answer if it means putting up with crap from unhelpful minorities who just like to create drama where there isn't any. I guess to this end you've completed your goal slaughter.

Nov 20, 2010 at 5:11 PM Post #7 of 8
Often, a high level of bass can obscure separation.  I mean, it's not always the case, but the headphones I've heard with the widest, clearest separation have always been bass-light.

Nov 20, 2010 at 5:48 PM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
Often, a high level of bass can obscure separation.  I mean, it's not always the case, but the headphones I've heard with the widest, clearest separation have always been bass-light.

Thanks joel I'll keep that in mind. :)

I must say though considering the Beyer DT 990 Pro is regarded as a bassy headphone I must say I find that not to be the case, *I* find the headphones to be spot on in that regard - not too much bass but crucially not too little either. I also find the seperation and sounstage to be the best aspect of this headphone, it's fantastic! :wink: 

Saying this though I'm not used to making such extravagant purchases where headphones are concerned, I had the Koss Porta Pro before these which were good. I emphasise the word were though. But these Beyer's for me are wonderful - I went in looking for bass and finding epic seperation and soundstage too in an airy presentation. Spot on. 

That's why I posted this quite specific question, so I could get a handle on how the others stack up, well of the ones that have bass. Lol. 

Also for what it's worth as much info as is drinkable in using head-fi search to find out information, and there's lots of that, I personally prefer and find 1 to 1 information much more helpful because obviously it's directed at me and my queries. Though I search more often than not. That's directed at the more uptight people on head-fi. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back