***Better dynamic iem than IE8 out there?> & bunch of other Q.'s**
Mar 15, 2010 at 5:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

oneofthem

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, this is my first post and my English is no so well so please forgive me for my mistakes and big thanks in advance!

So im looking to purchase a dynamic hi end bass IEM (any price) for my Electronic>Techno-House (125-130 BPM) music (bassline is everything in this genre) like you didnt know this.. duhh

Most places and reviews recommend IE8 but some people say its slow for dance music so i hope its ok for up to 130 bpm beats (please need your opinion here)

Here i will try to describe how id like my iem to sound like.
BASS!!! of course id be happy with anything over 200$ since ive never heard iem over 50$ therefore id for sure take quality over quantity.

What is most important for me is punch/impact/attack so i hope u got the idea, basically i like not only to hear my beat but also to feel it ( if its even possible with IEMs)it must be supper fun clublike sound feel to it (i like to go rage when i listen to my dj mixes sets and working out)i also prefer
warm/deep/slower-mutted down dub with a nice bass driven rhythm sound like VS sharp clear in your face sound like.Also i feel like highs must be ubber quality too since all the space/trippy sounds are coming from it. Mid vocals i absolutely dont care bout because they are not existent in my listening genre
and i always used to mute them down like 10-15 db

so it looks like everybody recommends ie8 for my type of sound but id like to know for sure if is THE ubber teh ultimate phones money can buy today, before i spend my hard earned dinero blindly.

also "if" its the ie8 phones i go for what companies make custom tips and hi end replacement cables?

now a couple of other questions that doesn't really fit this section of the forum but i dont feel like creating multi threads
ph34r.gif
popcorn.gif

do you think S:flo2 is a good portable for my music type? do you know a better player (pocketble) that plays FLAC and good for bass music genres?

can you recommend a good amp that will pump up the combo even more, lets say up to 350-400$ new or used. (also must be ultra small or thin "pocketble")

so basically share your thoughts, like if you were me how would you spend your money having this info like any tips tweaks mods you would do to maximize your listening package. Your knowledge is my treasure so cant wait to see what you guys have to say on this one. Thanks for your time, cheers!
beerchug.gif

-Max

Mar 15, 2010 at 6:17 AM Post #3 of 20
Whatever you read about what anyone here has to say, it is only our opinions and you are going to have to make the difficult choice yourself. Also, every one of us comes to this issue with a biased opinion formed from our own experiences. So it seems that what we have to say is rather meaningless. True. Case in point, myself. Yesterday I went to a headphone audio meet and I listened to the best-of-the-best of headphone systems. I listened to several IEM's as well. Even after listening to systems that cost thousands of dollars, I walked away very impressed with my humble iPod and IE8 combination. The weak link between the two is definitely my iPod. I plugged my IE8 into several systems and was stunned with how well they scaled up. The sound was brilliant with HiFiMan's HM-801. I don't care what anyone here has to say, if you get the IE8, burn them in for two weeks straight, 24 hours a day in a audio receiver or proper burn-in equipment. The sound signature will improve dramatically. I have never heard custom IEM's, but to my ears, the IE8's have the potential to be the best universal IEM in existence. Like I said, though, I am biased.

Mar 15, 2010 at 7:05 AM Post #4 of 20
In my view the FX700 is better than the IE8. the former retains the bass of the FX500 but with much improved mids and highs. But as a new IEM there are only a couple of us here who have heard it so you are limited in opinions on it.

Mar 15, 2010 at 7:07 AM Post #5 of 20
The IE8 is a good choice for bass but less good for treble. The speed is good and will keep up fine. The problem is that it is slightly softened in dynamics, not so sharp. You don't quite get the impact and sharp edge to notes. The IE8 has good feel though, visceral, and will happily produce a 20Hz tone. It's main benefit is low frequency output and low frequency extension. Speed is not a problem, but dynamics and sharp detail is a problem. It is geared slightly more mild and smoother in sound. The treble is strong and extended, but it's smooth and is not sharp.

"punch/impact/attack" and "warm/deep/slower-mutted down dub" don't really go together. Warm, deep, slower-mutted is a smoothed over sound, thicker, fuller, and if to an extreme, sluggish. Punch, impact, and attack represent a sound that is faster, sharper, quicker. They don't really go together.

Something like the Westone 3 might be a better choice, focus on bass and treble and has stronger impact and attack then the IE8. It is more in your face though, but it should offer a lot of what you're looking for.

The Triple.Fi 10 might be another option, although the bass isn't super fast but also not really sluggish. It will give you strong bass and treble presence though and gives you a warm, thicker sound while still offering a lot of punch/impact and attack speed. It's an IEM I feel does very well for techno type songs. It's not as in your face or dynamic as the Westone 3, and it doesn't play as low as the Westone 3 can.

Amping will be important for good bass presence and speed. Too little wattage can really reduce the ability for an earphone to produce good bass notes.

There are a LOT of amp choices. There are also a LOT of audio player choices. You will have to spend some time researching the audio players to find one that offers all the features and sound quality you want. A lot of them are decent. For amps, there's a portable amp forum section you can go to that has a lot of threads about all the portable amps available. The forum section also includes a lot of amp reviews. Small size may limit the quality of amp you can get. If a deck of cards is too big, then you might have a limited number of really good options. Also, you need to decide if you want a built in DAC or not. The need for this depends upon if you plan to listen to the earphones from other sources like your laptop. Most laptops only have mediocre sound quality, some rather poor sound quality. An amp with a built in DAC will plug in the USB and use the DAC instead of the laptop's onboard sound card. The audio quality will be much higher. If you only intend to use the earphones with your portable player (Walkman, I-Pod, etc.), then a DAC is not important. The DAC built into the amp simply allows more versatility.

Could you give us a couple songs you really like and describe how they sound to you if you could hear them in the most ideal way?

Mar 15, 2010 at 8:11 AM Post #6 of 20
here are some bass happy tracks (can be heard@ youtube)
Rainer Weichhold - Bamboo Format B Remix
moonbeam - the bats eyes
Kid Dub - Perverted Ways
Boys Noize - Don’t Believe The Hype (Proxy remix)
24skorpionz_ft._chamillionaire-we_some_playerz_(brayn_cox_remix)
azzido_da_bass-dooms_night__timo_maas_remix
Britney Spears - I'm A Slave For You (Instrumental)
Claude VonStroke - Who's Afraid of Detroit - Tanner Ross Remix
Justice _ Genesis
mike_foyle_-_for_your_eyes_only_(original_mix)
noisia-stigma
polymorphic--technomusic_(polymorphic_trash_remix)
proxy-dance_in_dark
Rammstein - Du hast (Brachial-Mix)
Ewun - Screw Up (Evol Intent A-Town Down Edit)
sub_focus-acid_test
The Prodigy - Medusa's Path
The Prodigy - Their Law (Featuring Pop Will Eat Itself) (Remastered)

Mar 15, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #9 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by oneofthem /img/forum/go_quote.gif
here are some bass happy tracks (can be heard@ youtube)
Rainer Weichhold - Bamboo Format B Remix
moonbeam - the bats eyes
Kid Dub - Perverted Ways
Boys Noize - Don’t Believe The Hype (Proxy remix)
24skorpionz_ft._chamillionaire-we_some_playerz_(brayn_cox_remix)
azzido_da_bass-dooms_night__timo_maas_remix
Britney Spears - I'm A Slave For You (Instrumental)
Claude VonStroke - Who's Afraid of Detroit - Tanner Ross Remix
Justice _ Genesis
mike_foyle_-_for_your_eyes_only_(original_mix)
noisia-stigma
polymorphic--technomusic_(polymorphic_trash_remix)
proxy-dance_in_dark
Rammstein - Du hast (Brachial-Mix)
Ewun - Screw Up (Evol Intent A-Town Down Edit)
sub_focus-acid_test
The Prodigy - Medusa's Path
The Prodigy - Their Law (Featuring Pop Will Eat Itself) (Remastered)

not a bad list.. any idea what bitrate/quality youtube videos use?

Mar 15, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #10 of 20
I think Sflo2 will work fine with external AMPs and some other DAPs play FLAC like Sansa Fuze, Cowon D2+ and Samsung P3. These IEMs are bassy like IE8, Westone 3, Sony EX700LP, Turbine Pro Gold, FX700, Hippo VB. The AMPs like RSA P51 Mustang, Pico Slim, XM5 and Headstage Arrow. BTW cables are very important too and ALO made great cables like 18AWG CXS, Jumbo Cryo 18AWG ect. To me Sennheiser IE8+ALO 18AWG CXS+Sflo2+Mustang or XM5 willbe great combo.

Mar 15, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by mvw2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The IE8 is a good choice for bass but less good for treble. The speed is good and will keep up fine. The problem is that it is slightly softened in dynamics, not so sharp. You don't quite get the impact and sharp edge to notes. The IE8 has good feel though, visceral, and will happily produce a 20Hz tone. It's main benefit is low frequency output and low frequency extension. Speed is not a problem, but dynamics and sharp detail is a problem. It is geared slightly more mild and smoother in sound. The treble is strong and extended, but it's smooth and is not sharp.

I would agree with this assessment of the IE8 treble. It is nice and extended but definitely lacks bite.

I feel the bass of the IE8 is very strong especially in the mid-bass but I would not call is a fast bass.

If you need fast bass I would recommend the Monster Turbine Pro Gold as it is the bassy version of the MTP line and has very nice treble and midrange. I find it has nice sharp dynamics and bass that is very present when required that is also snappy.

Mar 15, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rip N' Burn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Final Audio Design FI-DC1601SB

Google Translate

wooooow! after i saw your post and checking out that iem i couldn't sleep last night lol, but damn even the ss model is like 1k...and 16mm driver wow..maybe i will skip the ie8+cable+custom tips and go for the ss model.

Do you guys know some hi end shop in Toronto that have a good amount of iems that i can hear (maybe even this phones)?

now i wish next senn top model iem will come with like 16mm+ driver and wood or fancy metal housing, how long do you think it will take them before they release a new model?

Mar 15, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #14 of 20
nvm from the review its totally not worth it.

but i just found out that there is a custom dynamic iem Future Sonics MG4+ but cant even find a single review
frown.gif

can you guys point me to one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back