Better deals than 963SA?
Nov 8, 2003 at 4:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Silver

500+ Head-Fier
Are there any pure SACD players within the price range of 963SA sound equal or superior to it? I don't need DVD playback, all I need is kick-ass redbook/SACD performace.
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 8, 2003 at 6:20 PM Post #2 of 24
I think you'll be hard pressed to find anything cheaper than the 963SA. Sure, you could pick up a used Sony CE755 or NS500v, which were all the rage a short while ago, but with those you'll get decent SACD and very crappy redbook.

Are you oppossed to buying used? A used Sony 333es/222es may fall a bit under $350 on occasion, but in that case why not just get a refurb 963SA? In any case, try audiogon.

Nov 8, 2003 at 6:25 PM Post #3 of 24
I think you will be hard pressed to find a better player for what you can get the 963SA for. AN added bonus is that it is one of the best DVD players out there. The picture quality surpasses units at many times the price.

Nov 8, 2003 at 6:53 PM Post #4 of 24
I can vouch for the picture quality of the 963SA. Even my only slightly techy girlfriend commented on the quality of finding nemo (963SA > Infocus X1 > Da-lite Cinemavision Screen).

Nov 9, 2003 at 9:19 PM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
I can vouch for the picture quality of the 963SA. Even my only slightly techy girlfriend commented on the quality of finding nemo (963SA > Infocus X1 > Da-lite Cinemavision Screen).

How do you have the X1 connected to the 963SA?
280smile.gif

Nov 20, 2003 at 2:20 AM Post #9 of 24
Tortie --

Do you have a link for the Phillips 963SA on Amazon.com?
I search all over Amazon and couldn't find anything by Phillips.
If you could provide a link, that would be awesome.

BANGPOD

Nov 20, 2003 at 10:47 AM Post #11 of 24
Thanks, you are the man
biggrin.gif

I just might have to buy this baby...

If I got an EarMax Pro paired with this, would the Pro be under-provided and not sound up to full potential with a 963SA? What about with a Denon DVD2200 or a NAD 541i? I simply want to provide a great, afforable source for use if I buy an EarMax Pro... I have heard great things about this amp and am thinking about pairing it with my ER-4P and adapter.

What do you think?

BANGPOD

Nov 20, 2003 at 11:16 AM Post #12 of 24
Yes, the DVD 963SA is good enough even for the EMP. You don't necessarily need the ER-4P --> S adapter, since the amp's output impedance is around 80 ohm. Try what sounds best. Also a good pairing with Philips and Etys is the Corda HA-2, BTW.

peacesign.gif

Nov 20, 2003 at 11:35 AM Post #13 of 24
How would the EMP compare to the HA-2?
Also, would the PREHEAD smoke the EMP?

I am just wondering because my source purchase depends upon my amplifier purchase. I would like synergy between the two, not simply pairing up an amplifier and source and seeing if it sounds the way I like. JaZZ, have you listened to the EMP or the HA-2; have you heard the PREHEAD; have to listened through any of said amplifiers with the aforementioned sources?

BANGPOD

Nov 20, 2003 at 12:09 PM Post #14 of 24
EMP vs. HA-2... it really depends on your personal taste, they're both great amps. If you prefer a colorful, juicy sound with very good detail and extension (and the possibility to fine-tune via tuberolling), go for the EMP; if you prefer great transparency, accuracy and a rather unobtrusive, nevertheless detailed presentation, go for the HA-2. These are the two amps I know very well, but there are other good amps around, of course. I don't think the Etys are extremely picky in terms of amps though. A side note: the Corda HA-2 would be the less expensive solution, because tuberolling is a logical consequence after an EMP purchase and not cheap.

I had to decide between PreHead and HA-2 and chose the latter because it's said to sound almost identical. And I like it a lot, just that sometimes I wish it had more than one input -- like the PreHead.

My source is the DVD 963SA, and I'm extremely happy with its sound (not quite so with its audio handling convenience). Most of the time I listen through the Bel Canto DAC2 (24/192 upsampling) connected via coaxial digital cable, but switching to the Philips' own analog out doesn't make much of a quality jump -- there are recordings I even prefer the Philips with. Upsampling is great and always on in my case (96-kHz setting, BTW). So if I hadn't already had the DAC2 before buying the Philips, I probably would be happy with the Philips alone. It also sounds great in the transport section, much better than its predecessor, a dedicated high-end transport. -- I don't know the other players mentioned.

peacesign.gif

Nov 20, 2003 at 2:20 PM Post #15 of 24
By the way, what does D.A.C. stand for?
How does your Bel Canto alter the sound of the 963SA?
Is the Bel Canto or any other D.A.C. worth me purchasing?

I am looking solely looking for transparent and extremely detailed (without fatiguing) sound. That is the single reason I bought the Etymotic's: so I can get clear, transparent, and extremely detailed sound in one package. If anything, I am looking for an amplifier/source combination that will give me that: detail, clarity, and transparency. From what you said, and my preferences, I am assuming it would be better for me to go with the CORDA HA-2, since my preferences are said amplifier's strong points. Also, I don't think I would need the CORDA PRE-HEAD because I only plan on hooking my amplifer up to one source and one pair of headphones. I do not have the need for extravigant wiring, so I doubt all the extra RCA inputs would suit my needs.

If I left anything out or am mis-informed, please inform me, JaZZ
wink.gif

Thanks again,
BANGPOD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back