Beta22 Designing Idea - Need your opinion.
Jan 16, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #46 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by pila405 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@Steve - Thank you very much again. Helpful as always.

Can you tell me please the exact products' name YOU used for the painting [primer/flat black/clearcoat]?

And what are the beta22 dimensions?

If I paint the aluminium, should it be anodized black or natural?
Do you suggest on any other material?
What do you think about professional electrostatic painting?

Does the Beta22 you have includes the O22 inside the same chassis?

@Koyaan I. Sqatsi - It will be great! Thank you very much!

And an update:

Jan 17, 2010 at 12:21 PM Post #47 of 70
Is it a must having ventilation holes at the top of the amplifier? Will it be enough only at the bottom / back of the case?

and:
Quote:

@Steve - Thank you very much again. Helpful as always.

Can you tell me please the exact products' name YOU used for the painting [primer/flat black/clearcoat]?

And what are the beta22 dimensions?

If I paint the aluminium, should it be anodized black or natural?
Do you suggest on any other material?
What do you think about professional electrostatic painting?

Does the Beta22 you have includes the O22 inside the same chassis?

Jan 17, 2010 at 1:42 PM Post #48 of 70
Quote:

Is it a must having ventilation holes at the top of the amplifier? Will it be enough only at the bottom / back of the case?

and:

You'll want a lot of ventilation holes on the top and bottom - the ß22 gets hot (gotta love Class A).

Jan 17, 2010 at 2:21 PM Post #51 of 70
Quote:

ever FEEL the heatsinks on a b22?

I leave my top entirely off when I run mine
wink.gif
I have a top chassis cover I made but I leave it off most of the time. the heatsinks get VERY hot.

I could not imagine a b22 running in deep class-a and not having some serious venting on the top (at least).

Jan 17, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #52 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by deathg0d /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i did my b22 w/o ventilation holes. if your casing is gonna be aluminimum, the casing will act like a heatsink and dissipate the heat well enough

The mosfets might be ok by a blind stroke of luck (low bias, unique conditions, ect) but you are 100% definitely slow cooking your electrolytics...

Jan 17, 2010 at 2:29 PM Post #53 of 70
i have touch the heatsink, well to me without the holes and humid temp of 31 degrees here in singapore, i still find the whole casing hot like about 50 degrees and not more. i actually have another cover with holes but it dont really make much differences on the casing heat when i touch so to avoid small objects dropping into and dust from accumulating, i change the cover to fully enclose and aluminimum

Jan 17, 2010 at 2:56 PM Post #55 of 70
hahaha no worries man, 50 degrees are just my presume temp on the high side, as i place my whole palm onto the case, it not even burning my palm and i can stay on touching for as long as i like. for such temp i dont believe it will kill the components.
furthermore, i have quite a huge case dimensions of 400x350x100mm imo. plus i on the air con usually when using b22 so the air cool the case faster, having many vents but the surrounding air are stale does not help much. i think this is all about cooling and not about holes, heat dissipations has many methods. tube amps run hotter and even with vent holes, the casing are even hotter to touch but they still runs long many years.

Jan 17, 2010 at 3:17 PM Post #56 of 70
So what shall I do?
Can someone check his B22 temp while working with a thermometer please?

and Steve - Can you answer my previous question please? [in the quote]

Jan 17, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #57 of 70
I actually DO plan to run 'thermometers' (lm75a sensors, really, lol) to a few heatsinks and watch the diff of covered vs uncovered vs vented.

I'll post back when I have some data.

until then, though, the 'too hot to touch for too long' test will have to do
wink.gif

if you really have to have an enclosed config, I would suggest running external heatsinks and clamping the mosfets to that metal 'strip' that is part of that external heatsink. I'm visualizing the old hafler dh-xxx look with huge heatsinks on either side of the chassis. but then this starts to look a little like a b24.

Jan 17, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #58 of 70
But all the idea is the clean look - no holes or huge heat sinks....
frown.gif

Maybe Helium cooling ^^'...

Jan 17, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #60 of 70
well pila vent holes or not, it is up to your decision for as long as your casing is aluminmium or material that can dissipate heat well plus the casing is not seal tight with about 1mm gap for cover to slide in and out. components can take more temp then our hands do. soldering iron temp is much more higher and it even take a while for those resistors etc to melt under the heat if you continuously hold it to the iron, imo, it will not kill the componets so easily with internal temp of 30-40 plus this heat is not even trap or unable to get rid of, there is no gradual build up of heat in the case, it just remains constant after a while

Users who are viewing this thread

Back