Best Way to Preserve Lettering on HP-1000
Dec 2, 2006 at 10:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

insomniac

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm fortunate enough to own a pair of Grado HP-2's with all of the lettering intact. But it seems many pairs lose parts or all of that red lettering over time. Is there any general advice on how to make sure all of that lettering stays in place over the long haul?

Dec 2, 2006 at 11:02 PM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brutus Alphonz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about some kind of clear lacquer? I would think a thin layer applied with a fine brush would protect it for quite a while.

I imagine that the lacquer would not adhere very well since the surface is so smooth and shiny. It will likely chip off, taking the lettering with it. Also, IME, applying anything with a brush will always leave unsightly brush marks no matter how sparing you are with the paint/lacquer. I learned this over the years trying to repair scratches on cars with bottles of touch up paint.
icon10.gif

My advice would be to always handle the cans with extreme care. I always pick up my MS-Pros only by the pads.

Dec 2, 2006 at 11:06 PM Post #4 of 18
I think it goes without saying that if you want to preserve the quality of something delicate you should be very careful when handling it, and personally, I would be hesitant to put anything as such on my HP-1000's (which sadly don't exist). But, it is possible, especially with something like nail lacquer to get a nice shiny coat without brush marks. I do think it would be wise to test some on a small spot with no lettering just to check adhesion, if you decided to go this route.

Dec 3, 2006 at 3:32 AM Post #5 of 18
The problem is that if you want good adhesion of a lacquer (or other protectant) the surface will have to be extremely clean before you apply. If the surface isn't clean, it's liable to peel in the future. Thing is, a thorough cleaning can damage the paint. Another factor you have to consider is that any lacquer/coating will change color over the years.

So, the best thing to preserve the originality is really not to do much of anything. Keep the sides clean and be careful not to touch them. Store out of direct sunlight, too.

Also, it might be a good idea to take more of the antique furniture/preservationist approach to life. Evidence of wear and use isn't necessarily bad. Personally, I love the fact that my dining room table bears the evidence of 100+ years of meals. The dings and scratches don't detract. I just keep it clean and wax it 2-3 times a year. Even auto shows are warming to the notion that a well-preserved original is something special.

Dec 3, 2006 at 4:00 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Also, it might be a good idea to take more of the antique furniture/preservationist approach to life.

Maybe, but some Head-Fi'ers tend to resell their headhoness - a special risk for the GS1k, which seems to polarize some listeners. (Or maybe I spend too much time looking at the For Sale lists.) Many (like me) even keep their boxes in pristine shape in the event of a possible sale down the road.

Lacquer typically leaves a shiny residue, as mentioned above, and application of a new layer can be overly shiny and offer unpredictable protection. But the GS1k offers a special challenge in that the phone's so wide and the ends so ovoid that it can be difficult not to rub the lettering. It look likes the best solution would be to pull from outside edges of the wood. I do that almost exclusively with my K701s (even though I don't have to), and it works just fine.

Dec 3, 2006 at 5:27 AM Post #9 of 18
The lettering on my pair is almost all gone. What I'm really worried about is the L and R indicators... I'll have to come up with a way to remember which is which if they disappear. Fortunately, I generally avoid touching those pieces (on the adjusters). I wonder if uncle Joe or John are willing to re-do the lettering?

Dec 3, 2006 at 2:03 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiWire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The lettering on my pair is almost all gone. What I'm really worried about is the L and R indicators... I'll have to come up with a way to remember which is which if they disappear. Fortunately, I generally avoid touching those pieces (on the adjusters). I wonder if uncle Joe or John are willing to re-do the lettering?

Get a tie wrap & just put it on the headban on the rightor left side & rember which side to put it on.
The Lettering on the matt finished HP1000s seem to hold up better then the polished ones.A silkscreen place may be able to duplicate the lettering,thats how it was origionally done.

Dec 3, 2006 at 2:24 PM Post #11 of 18
Gosh, why couldn't they make the lettering stay on in the first place
blink.gif
The same problem is present in the SR/HF-series gold/silver lettering
frown.gif

Dec 3, 2006 at 3:17 PM Post #12 of 18
Any why not removing the whole paint and make someone laser engrave it, it will be expensive, but not more than the headphones themselves, and will be forever...

Dec 3, 2006 at 3:22 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any why not removing the whole paint and make someone laser engrave it, it will be expensive, but not more than the headphones themselves, and will be forever...

you would have to take the headphones apart to do this.

this is likely not dificult, but you may inadvertently brush off some of the mystery material that is in the cup and on the back of the mesh.

Dec 3, 2006 at 3:46 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you would have to take the headphones apart to do this.

this is likely not dificult, but you may inadvertently brush off some of the mystery material that is in the cup and on the back of the mesh.

Well putting thme appart is not dificult, but IIRC, you do not need to brush off the paint, usually the paint comes off just with the nails..
biggrin.gif
if ti is not off completelly by then...

Dec 3, 2006 at 5:25 PM Post #15 of 18
I'd rather not risk damaging the sound - I can distinguish the sides because the cable has lettering on the left side. It's not a major concern for me, since I don't plan on selling them. Ever.
580smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back