best vintage brands?
Jun 21, 2007 at 11:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

uzziah

Headphoneus Supremus
for speakers? amps/recievers?

myself i'm searching craigslist for an amp for my new energy c-9's

i've heard marantz, mcintosh, sansui

Jun 22, 2007 at 1:48 AM Post #3 of 25
Too many to list. I think you can get some overlooked brand at a better value.
Amp/Receivers
Nikko
Nakamichi
Luxman
Kyocera
Hafler
and some Realistic (Radio shack) with MOSFET output

Jun 22, 2007 at 2:57 PM Post #5 of 25
vintage QUAD is very nice indeed
biggrin.gif

What about vintage Stax?
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 22, 2007 at 7:10 PM Post #6 of 25
Vintage Quad is indeed very nice. Haven't heard the Stax. But for vintage shopping is pure luck or unless you wanna pay the big bucks. I'm always looking for a deal.

I just bought a Nakamichi receiver with STASIS (licensed from Nelson Pass of the Threshold fame). A Threshold will cost you much more.

Jun 24, 2007 at 7:21 AM Post #7 of 25
Just curious... Are these vintage brands comparable in quality to new equipment?

I'm interested in stuff like signal-to-noise ratio and relative signal neutrality/accuracy. A lot of new equipment seems to be taking steps backward...

Here's an example. I saw a B&K ST-140 MOSFET power amplifier from the early '80s on sale for $320 at a local hi-fi store, which seemed a bit high to me (I'm used to eBay). Are deals like these worthwhile, or is it more a matter of being able to find an amazing deal simply because the equipment is older?

Jun 24, 2007 at 8:05 AM Post #8 of 25
Spendor speakers

Jun 24, 2007 at 10:47 AM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just curious... Are these vintage brands comparable in quality to new equipment?

I'm interested in stuff like signal-to-noise ratio and relative signal neutrality/accuracy. A lot of new equipment seems to be taking steps backward...

Here's an example. I saw a B&K ST-140 MOSFET power amplifier from the early '80s on sale for $320 at a local hi-fi store, which seemed a bit high to me (I'm used to eBay). Are deals like these worthwhile, or is it more a matter of being able to find an amazing deal simply because the equipment is older?

In general, some experts say that older equipment is even better then some new stuff. In the older equipment better products are used. Now everyone is scimping on components to maximize profit. At those days, they just used what they saw fit. means better resistors, transformers etc. Some old stuff still sounds very good.

If you wanna have a good sounding dac nowadays you HAVE to mod the cheap components. Replacings caps, resistors etc.

Jun 24, 2007 at 10:49 AM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif

In general, some experts say that older equipment is even better then some new stuff. In the older equipment better products are used. Now everyone is scimping on components to maximize profit. At those days, they just used what they saw fit. means better resistors, transformers etc. Some old stuff still sounds very good.

If you wanna have a good sounding amp nowadays you HAVE to mod the cheap components. Replacings caps, resistors etc.

Some older speakers, like the quad esl 63 for instance are still very sought after and sound great. They sell quickly on the second hand market voor very good prices.

Jun 24, 2007 at 10:55 AM Post #11 of 25
Pioneer, Sansui, Marantz, Harman Kardon, Trio (Kenwood), Luxman, Fisher..etc..

Jun 24, 2007 at 11:24 AM Post #12 of 25
Stax, McIntosh, Sansui, Luxman, Nakamichi, ...

Jun 28, 2007 at 4:40 PM Post #15 of 25
For amps -

McIntosh (receivers 1900 and 4100 are the best values, also look for integrated amps 6100 and 6200)

Sansui (not quite the same level as Mac, but less expensive while still providing excellant performance for the money) - look for AU-717, AU-719, AU-919, AU-9900 integrated amps

Accuphase E-202 integrated amp is a screaming deal right now if you can one in good condition. The build quality of this amp is top notch and will smoke most modern "entry level" amps.

As far as speakers go, I am a big fan of ADS' line from the 1970s. The 810 and 710s are especially good speakers that still hold their own today but can be purchased for far less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back