best vintage brands?
Jun 28, 2007 at 4:44 PM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by peter braun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Accuphase E-202 integrated amp is a screaming deal right now if you can one in good condition. The build quality of this amp is top notch and will smoke most modern "entry level" amps.

I looked this one up and what do you know there's one in town-

http://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/msg/361144934.html

No idea if that's a good deal, but there ya go.

Jun 28, 2007 at 5:42 PM Post #17 of 25
I agree the Accuphase 202 is a great amp (the T-101 or T-100 tuner is great too) and you can still get them serviced at yamasinc.com, the Accuphase service center in Gardena California.

Jun 28, 2007 at 10:54 PM Post #18 of 25
Anything under $500 is a very good price for a E-202. Very clean amp with guts, combined with build quality up there with the best being made today. With the vintage equipment you also get a lot extra features that the minimalistic amps currently being offered will not give you. MM phono stages (and MC on the high end Sansui's), balance control, and equalizers (even if just for treble and bass) are quite useful. No two recording sound the same even on the best equipment, so I appreciate being able to adjust the sound to my room and personal preferences. The E-202 or a McIntosh 4100 would be my best recommendations under $700-800. For under $350 I would suggest one of the Sansui's I listed above.

Jun 29, 2007 at 6:37 AM Post #19 of 25
go browse the forums of audiokarma.org. So much good info on vintage stuff
smily_headphones1.gif

On saturday I will be the owner of a practically mint Kenwood KA-7100 integrated amp
biggrin.gif

Jun 29, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #20 of 25
Preamps- Dynaco, Audio Research, GAS, McIntosh, Quad
Amps- Dynaco, Audio Research, GAS, McIntosh, Quad
Turntables- Thorens, Acoustic Research, Gale
Cartridges- Shure, Grado, Micro Acoustics, Supex
Tape Decks - Nakamichi, Advent
Tuners- Sansui, McIntosh, Audio Research
Speakers- Dahlquist, Quad, Magnepan, Acoustic Research, Advent, Rogers, Acoustat, Vandersteen

Jul 1, 2007 at 3:57 PM Post #21 of 25
I do no think Audio Research made tuners, although I have seen a company from Canada use thier name on a tuner. I would add Pioneer to the tuner list.

The rest looks good to me.

Jul 1, 2007 at 4:37 PM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by tbonner1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do no think Audio Research made tuners, although I have seen a company from Canada use thier name on a tuner. I would add Pioneer to the tuner list.

The rest looks good to me.

Audio Research modified Dyna tuners a very long time ago.

Jul 1, 2007 at 11:24 PM Post #23 of 25
You would also be surprised just how good the vintage Quad tuners can be too, in addition to all those 405-2s and ESL 57s. The FM3 and AM3 are reasonable if you do them up and FM4 is excellent for the money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back