Best Version of Ave Maria
Dec 17, 2005 at 8:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

lextek

Headphoneus Supremus
I love this song at the holiday time (and all year). Wondering what versions you folks like?

Dec 17, 2005 at 8:36 PM Post #2 of 24
[size=xx-small]anyway in before the lock/delete. (religion related topic)
i agree it is a beautiful theme. there is only band i listen to that have a song called ave maria, called sol invictus, if its possible to find or buy the mp3 online.[/size]

Dec 17, 2005 at 9:13 PM Post #3 of 24
Wayne Newton? It's on the same album with "Danke Schoen", I think . . .
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 19, 2005 at 5:24 AM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevesurf
Hayley Westenra has a slightly different take on this wonderful classic, and she may leave a lasting impression with her amazing voice
icon10.gif

How is the new album? Do you have the first to compare it to? I didn't think they did a very good job with the mastering on the first album. IMO her vocal completely overpowered the instruments, making the recording as a whole really suffer.

Dec 19, 2005 at 8:50 AM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
How is the new album? Do you have the first to compare it to? I didn't think they did a very good job with the mastering on the first album. IMO her vocal completely overpowered the instruments, making the recording as a whole really suffer.

The new album is so very much better SQ wise. The instruments and vocals are much more balanced. The album in general has a more "Fun" tone to it as well. Only real note that I don't think too highly of is when she does the duet "Dell'Amore Non Si Sa" with Andrea Bocelli and he rather overpowers her voice to an absurd extent. My 2 cents.

Dec 19, 2005 at 2:22 PM Post #9 of 24
Yoshikazu Mera -a Japanese counter tenor. His voice is simply amazing. The entire album is worth getting.

B00000DDLN.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Amazon has some short clips here which, of course, do not do justice to this incredible voice.

Dec 20, 2005 at 10:17 AM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Naris
The new album is so very much better SQ wise. The instruments and vocals are much more balanced. The album in general has a more "Fun" tone to it as well. Only real note that I don't think too highly of is when she does the duet "Dell'Amore Non Si Sa" with Andrea Bocelli and he rather overpowers her voice to an absurd extent. My 2 cents.

Thanks, guess I'll check it out.
biggrin.gif

Dec 20, 2005 at 12:53 PM Post #11 of 24
I hate to say it, but Perry Como. I've got an old (((stereophonic))) Christmas LP of his which includes it. The man has definitely got a wonderful voice.

Ave Maria is without a doubt my all-time favorite individual piece of music to listen to. Harry Connick Jr (of all people) actually has a very nice rendition of it.

Jimmy- I've got to check out that disc... I'm intrigued.

Dec 20, 2005 at 1:12 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
Yoshikazu Mera -a Japanese counter tenor. His voice is simply amazing. The entire album is worth getting.

Thanks, Jimmy. Just ordered my copy! All of the reviews on Amazon simply glow about her voice, which is often described as hauntingly beautiful. Someone even mentioned that he divides his listening experiences into pre and post Mera, meaning that once he heard her, everything changed. I'm at least mildly intrigued.

Dec 20, 2005 at 7:08 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
Thanks, Jimmy. Just ordered my copy! All of the reviews on Amazon simply glow about her voice, which is often described as hauntingly beautiful. Someone even mentioned that he divides his listening experiences into pre and post Mera, meaning that once he heard her, everything changed. I'm at least mildly intrigued.

That's funny, Wayne. You probably don't recall your brief audition of that CD way back at the first NYC meet that you attended. I believe it was using the Krell SACD player + boze's modded Cary 300sei w/Sony R-10's. I know there was (and always is) lots more to concentrate on at those meets.

Btw, he's a "him".

Dec 20, 2005 at 8:13 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by lextek
I love this song at the holiday time (and all year). Wondering what versions you folks like?

Which Ave Maria? The Shubert or the Gounod? Personally, I prefer Pavarotti's version of the Shubert.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back