Best value in Custom?
Sep 18, 2010 at 6:27 PM Post #16 of 17

Quote:
I don't have JH5s but have auditioned a pair setup for universal. I preferred it to the 3 ways of non custom Shure, Westone, and UE. Frequencies are only divided into 3 ranges for descriptive purposes not for drivers. If 2 can do the job in one model better than 3 in another, who cares how many are used. 3 can become 4 ranges and 4 can become 5. People get too caught up in numbers. Just listen. Of course, do research and audition as much as you can but go in unbiased. I said JH5 because it's the best sub $500 IEM that I've heard custom or not. Simple as that. I didn't tell him to go out and buy without a listen. Just my vote. He wants value and altough the JH13 is better, I't would be difficult to find a better value than the JH5 which has been $200 price reduced to compete pricewise with the 2 way UE. I have a live chicago green mill recording of Kurt Elling that was done for him personally, is very revealing and I know very well that I used for audition along with some HD tracks downloads. Didn't need to listen for more than a few to know these are very good.

Where can one audition a pair of JH5's? I am quite nervous about dropping the money to buy them before hearing them first.

Sep 18, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #17 of 17

Quote:
Where can one audition a pair of JH5's? I am quite nervous about dropping the money to buy them before hearing them first.

Call JHA and see if they can direct you or work something out. I wouldn't extrapolate from 2 vs 3 way of particular makes. You'll find that there are those here tha prefer the 2 way ATs, Earsonics or even Westones to their 3 way counterparts and vice versa. You really do need to decide for yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back