Best upgrade from Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro/250?
Jul 24, 2012 at 11:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Turbocharged

New Head-Fier
Possibly interested in upgrading from my DT-770's to something new. The main requirement is that they have to isolate (primarily to keep the sound in) at least as well as the DT-770's...so closed back is a must. I'm also looking at upgrading from my BSG CMOY amp to something that could power 600 ohm cans as well...so hard to drive headphones are on the table as well.

Would probably entertain the idea of something up to $400, but would like to spend less if possible. Suggestions welcome. Thanks.

Jul 24, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:
DT990 are open-back, so won't work for me.

Right now I am looking a lot at the AKG K550's for $299...seem to be some really good reviews out there.

You can get the AKG K550 cheaper if you order from Thomann in Europe, $229 (includes shipping).

Sep 6, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #5 of 12
Bump this up.

Just ordered a Aune T1 DAC/Amp, so now I'm really looking more closely for a pair of cans. Still interested in the K550, but will have to wait until the end of the month to order them since Thomann is out of stock right now.

Sep 8, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #6 of 12
Seriously giving myself a headache researching this...seems like the options for good isolating (for work) headphones that respond well to an amp is a very tall order.

Was contemplating just getting a set of the DT770 600ohm Consumer models since I can power them properly, but would like to try something non-Beyerdynamic (though I do love my 770's). Also, a little worried that the Consumer model won't isolate as well as my Pro model.

Who else makes a good set of closed back headphones that isolate well and respond well to amping?

Sep 9, 2012 at 9:45 AM Post #7 of 12
Went ahead and picked up a set of used DT770 Premium 600-ohm cans which should sound great with the tube amp.

Sep 9, 2012 at 10:49 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:
Seriously giving myself a headache researching this...seems like the options for good isolating (for work) headphones that respond well to an amp is a very tall order.

Was contemplating just getting a set of the DT770 600ohm Consumer models since I can power them properly, but would like to try something non-Beyerdynamic (though I do love my 770's). Also, a little worried that the Consumer model won't isolate as well as my Pro model.

Who else makes a good set of closed back headphones that isolate well and respond well to amping?

Closed headphones were the hardest find for me.  I had the MDRV6 for the longest because i had a hard time finding a suitable replacement...then a little birdy made the K550s.

Sep 10, 2012 at 8:41 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:
Closed headphones were the hardest find for me.  I had the MDRV6 for the longest because i had a hard time finding a suitable replacement...then a little birdy made the K550s.

Yeah, it's tough. I really feel like I would like the K550's, but with a dedicated desktop amp I thought I could find something that would benefit more from it....and I already love the Beyerdynamic sound.

Dec 10, 2012 at 8:40 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:
How is the 600 Ohm comparing so far? A fair upgrade, or more like a side-grade?

I guess I could write a full review of my own comparing the 250-Ohm Pro model to the 600-Ohm Consumer model next week sometime since I have had a lot of time listening to them both. The main thing holding me back on that is that I listen to them using very different equipment in very different settings. The Pro/250's usually get played through my computer (using a Creative Titanium HD sound card in "audio creation mode" for music and "game mode" for games). If not through my computer, then through my Gen. 5 iPod with LOD and Biosciencegeek CMOY. The 600-Ohm guys are permanently at work where I have a netbook as a media player and a Aune T1 tube amp/dac. So, pretty different setups. This doesn't mean that I haven't listened to them back to back on the same setup...I just don't in normal use.

I guess without going into any long winded explanations (might do that later)...The two sets of headphones really don't sound all that different to my ears (very subtle). The real difference I hear is in the amps/source. Listening to both through the CMOY gives a very similar experience, but through the Aune T1 the differences are more apparent. I believe this can be attributed to the fact that with the 600-ohm headphones I can push more power through the tube in in the Aune T1 and get more tube saturation and tonal influences. The difference is still subtle, but in short, the 600-ohm consumer models seem to sound more clear overall with a little more meat to the bottom end (probably due to the extra power from the amp) and slightly mellower treble.

I love both sets of headphones and listen to both for several hours a day. The 600-ohms are pretty much music only at work and the 250-ohms are my do everything (music, games, tv, audio books) at home. Comfort level is about the same (though my 250-ohms are much more worn in) and I can't tell much difference in isolation (in or out). I love both and don't feel the need to upgrade anytime soon. Only thing I wish is that the 600-ohm consumer model came with a coiled cord like the Pro/250's...but that is obviously a personal preference.

Hope that helps somewhat...maybe I'll write a longer review later if enough people want it.

Also, I see you have the 80-ohm Pro model which I hear sounds significantly different than the 250-ohm Pro model, but I can't confirm or deny this myself.

Dec 10, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #12 of 12
Thanks Turbocharged, that was a pretty good comparison! My DT770/80 is at repair; I sent them in because after getting them for a day, they just didnt sound like what everyone has been describing of them at all. Turns out both drivers are bad, and is in repair currently. I should be getting them Thursday or Friday, then will finally be able to hear what the DT770s are all about!

Great review nevertheless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back