best TWS under $100
Feb 23, 2021 at 1:25 AM Post #61 of 84
That actually makes a lot of sense, and is very unfortunate for this segment even if it's slightly true. I wonder when I'm just going to bite the bullet and get one of those MMCX/IPX bluetooth dongle/adapters and just rig IEMs to be "wireless" :D
it's a good thought, I was about to purchase a powerful portable amp to use my headsets with then I thought I have $120+ of TWS and would be buying this so I could use my headphones inside my house mainly while cooking since they are open back and thought

>well then what in the crap is the point of my $120+ of TWS's if I buy a freaking $100 porto amp powerful enough to power my $1k+ of headphones.... when it came down to it I just don't need a porta amp, TWS fit the need better.... I think if you want something waterproof or small or long battery life then TWS but to me it sounds like a major requirement is sound quality (it's not while I am using TWS's, honestly just like owning the flashy but crappy TWS600 I just want it to flex with my $600 headphones and have an excuse to use my DT1990's :p no shame in the truth) so a rig like that would be good if something like $40 tin T2's can satisfy your itch and be disposable enough vs $100+ TWS and as a side benefit you get to use very nice IEM's

so the exact opposite of my case since I have no real reason to pay more to use my nice sound systems even if it's not "that much much money"/"can afford it" etc paying $100 when I have already payed $100 to fill my need and for you paying $100+ vs (how much do those things cost like around $100 maybe bit less) to fill the same need twice

from where I stand if i didn't care about waterproof and had nice IEMs i'd get the porta/TWS dac/amp/receiver unit but I never use corded IEMs so TWS replaces IEMs for me since I don't care much about sound quality on the go it's like nice white noise

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #62 of 84
Got them Sunday and gave them about 4 hours of listening. Then I returned them today.

I actually liked them. Exactly how you described them, fun! Bass heavy with pretty decent quality, but not too overboard in my opinion. I wish they had an app to EQ or I played with EQ some more so that I could get the upper mids and highs to be more pronounced.

The reason why I returned them was because when playing DnB or anything with fast treble/highs, it sounds like the drivers were clipping or getting distorted.

That's now 2 for 2 on TWS's I've tried and had to return them.

I want to try the Cambridge Melomania and the Sennheiser CX400BT/MWT2 next, but not sure if I should buy both at the same time to do a side by side or just keep buying one at a time and continue the "buy, try, return" cycle.
I always find A/B testing to be helpful -- if it doesn't drive you insane. :)

I literally sat at my kitchen table in early December and popped the Lypertek Tevi and Cambridge Audio Melomania 1 in and out of my ears for nearly two hours before deciding the Melomania 1 was better for me. It was THAT close, and I'm THAT obsessive.

Feb 23, 2021 at 11:17 AM Post #63 of 84
I'm starting to wonder if I'm approaching TWS with the wrong mindset. Are we just that spoiled by IEM and over ear quality and performance for the prices we pay for TWS?

I'm honestly expecting something similar to Monster Turbines, RevoNext RN-QT2, or (for those that remember) Soundsoul S-018.
Could be. I've yet to hear a TWS earbud that comes close to a $150 wired over-ear.

I'm diving into wired IEMs now. Just ordered Moondrop Starfield. Eager to hear them.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #64 of 84
it's a good thought, I was about to purchase a powerful portable amp to use my headsets with then I thought I have $120+ of TWS and would be buying this so I could use my headphones inside my house mainly while cooking since they are open back and thought

>well then what in the crap is the point of my $120+ of TWS's if I buy a freaking $100 porto amp powerful enough to power my $1k+ of headphones.... when it came down to it I just don't need a porta amp, TWS fit the need better.... I think if you want something waterproof or small or long battery life then TWS but to me it sounds like a major requirement is sound quality (it's not while I am using TWS's, honestly just like owning the flashy but crappy TWS600 I just want it to flex with my $600 headphones and have an excuse to use my DT1990's :p no shame in the truth) so a rig like that would be good if something like $40 tin T2's can satisfy your itch and be disposable enough vs $100+ TWS and as a side benefit you get to use very nice IEM's

so the exact opposite of my case since I have no real reason to pay more to use my nice sound systems even if it's not "that much much money"/"can afford it" etc paying $100 when I have already payed $100 to fill my need and for you paying $100+ vs (how much do those things cost like around $100 maybe bit less) to fill the same need twice

from where I stand if i didn't care about waterproof and had nice IEMs i'd get the porta/TWS dac/amp/receiver unit but I never use corded IEMs so TWS replaces IEMs for me since I don't care much about sound quality on the go it's like nice white noise
I look at TWS and wired, over-ear headphones like a daily driver and a sports car in the garage.

I use TWS while doing chores, exercising -- mainly when music is just the accompaniment, and I don't want wires interfering with the task. A daily driver. I use my Meze 99 Classics wired over-ears when I just want to sit down and truly ENJOY music, to get lost in it for the sheer pleasure. A fun ride on a sunny afternoon or at sunset in a Porsche 911 GT3.

Since I'm not close to owning that Porsche yet, the Meze 99 Classics will do! :)

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #65 of 84
I use TWS while doing chores, exercising -- mainly when music is just the accompaniment, and I don't want wires interfering with the task.
The Galaxy Buds + are great for me in this scenario. A small bud that stays in ear well, provides an enjoyable listen while busy doing something other than analyzing music.

Feb 23, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #66 of 84
The Galaxy Buds + are great for me in this scenario. A small bud that stays in ear well, provides an enjoyable listen while busy doing something other than analyzing music.
Yep. The Helm Audio True Wireless 5.0 do the same for me. Good fit, fun sound, the best range of any Bluetooth TWS I've tried. Perfect for chores and exercise!

Feb 24, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #67 of 84
Just got my mitts on Moondrop Starfield. VERY impressive sound for $110. Seems to hug the Harman Curve pretty well, with slightly elevated bass, clear, accurate mids and treble that rolls off just before becoming harsh and grainy. Good imaging. Soundstage is within the head, but I'm probably spoiled by over-ears.

No doubt the Starfields sound better than my Helm Audio True Wireless 5.0. More clarity and less mud. But the Helm's fit a smidge better and are more convenient for chores and exercise due to being truly wireless.

Decisions, decisions. Keeping both would be ideal. It also would be frowned upon by The Boss. :)

Feb 24, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #68 of 84
The Boss... The Queen Bee... The Accountant... etc, ect, etc. lol

I'm liking your description of the Starfield, might be my next grab off the of chi-fi shelf. They appear to be a good pick (based on many reviews), but reviews are one thing and in my ears is quite another. I guess jumping off the cliff and splashing into the audio water is the only way to know for sure. :sunglasses:

Feb 24, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #69 of 84
The Boss... The Queen Bee... The Accountant... etc, ect, etc. You just paint the Helms blue and none the wiser, lol.

I'm liking your description of the Starfield, might be my next grab off the of chi-fi shelf. They appear to be a good pick (based on many reviews), but reviews are one thing and in my ears is quite another. I guess jumping off the cliff and splashing into the audio water is the only way to know for sure. :sunglasses:

Feb 24, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #70 of 84
The Boss... The Queen Bee... The Accountant... etc, ect, etc. You could just paint the Helms blue and none the wiser, lol.

Feb 24, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #71 of 84
The Boss... The Queen Bee... The Accountant... etc, ect, etc. You could just paint the Helms blue and none the wiser, lol.

I'm liking your description of the Starfield, might be my next grab off the chi-fi shelf. They appear to be a good pick (based on many reviews), but reviews are one thing and in my ears is quite another. I guess jumping off the cliff and splashing into the audio water is the only way to know for sure.

Feb 24, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #72 of 84
The Boss... The Queen Bee... The Accountant... etc, ect, etc. lol

This sounds obvious, but tip fit is more vital with the Starfields than other IEMs/earbuds I've tried.

Sure, every IEM/bud sounds best with a properly fitted tip. But the Starfields sounded absolutely terrible -- no bass and thin as hell -- when I used the small tips. The medium tips transformed the sound into something beautiful.

Grab them from Amazon, if you can. I got mine in one day with Prime, and you can't beat the return policy if you don't like them!

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #73 of 84
Sorry about multiple posts.... some kind of server error at the time.

I had the same encounter with tips on the Tin T3... thought I had wasted $58, but after 4 different ear tip changes everything came together. Also, I believe that when an IEM's tune leans a bit towards neutral (like the Tin T3), tip choice is even more critical.

Feb 28, 2021 at 4:06 AM Post #74 of 84
So I got the Cambridge Melomania Touches a couple of days ago. I'll have to say, these are actually pretty good. I guess I'll stick with these until I'm feeling like trying something new in the TWS space

Feb 28, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #75 of 84
So I got the Cambridge Melomania Touches a couple of days ago. I'll have to say, these are actually pretty good. I guess I'll stick with these until I'm feeling like trying something new in the TWS space
No problems with connections? I read about a ton of connectivity problems in various forums upon release. Maybe Cambridge Audio issued a firmware update.

Not surprised the Touches are nice. The Melomania 1's remain the best-sounding truly wireless IEM's I've heard for less than $100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back