best TWS under $100
Feb 13, 2021 at 7:32 PM Post #46 of 84
Just got the Tevi in today. Sound was alright and the call quality from the caller side and the called side were horrible in my opinion.

Music/sound quality, yeah they were good, I just wasn't impressed by them for the amount I paid.

As a person listening to someone using the Tevi for calls, it picks up every piece of background noise and not the user itself and the person sounds like they were miles away from the microphone.

As the person making the call with the Tevi, it sounds like you are listening to the person in a vacuum. I've tried all the tips that came with it, same result.

I'm going to return these and get the CX400BT or probably give up my search on a TWS.

Feb 13, 2021 at 7:41 PM Post #47 of 84
Just got the Tevi in today. Sound was alright and the call quality from the caller side and the called side were horrible in my opinion.

Music/sound quality, yeah they were good, I just wasn't impressed by them for the amount I paid.

As a person listening to someone using the Tevi for calls, it picks up every piece of background noise and not the user itself and the person sounds like they were miles away from the microphone.

As the person making the call with the Tevi, it sounds like you are listening to the person in a vacuum. I've tried all the tips that came with it, same result.

I'm going to return these and get the CX400BT or probably give up my search on a TWS.

I actually just canceled my order lol, also I found another pair of tips that are about as good as the second best to the TWS600 is salvaged i'm going to let this burn in, figure out where exactly it sits and then go over the top ones people ITT use and order a pair of those unless I want neutral since the TWS is mostly neutral excluding the weird top end

If you have some IEM’s you like with a detachable cable you could check out the Fiio UTWS3 but obviously you have no IPX rating on your IEM. You can fit most IEM with tips into the charging case but the case is large in comparison to even a large TWS.
I remember zeos made a 30 min vid ranting about how TWS are a waste of amp and dac and laughing because he has like 20 ****ing amps and dacs he talked about how there were better, but didn't those at one time cost like $50, like maybe the v1 or something I was about to say thats the best for price but then I saw it's like $150+ fuuuuu def. best for sound quality I imagine but for that price the feature set of TWS is too damn good IMO tech wise

EDIT-holy **** I put these stupid bass cannon buds on my cheap set and it's suddenly soundstage and bass monster no detail but it's actually got some imaging and great resolution **** I am so happy I got so many stupid buds

EDIT2-AAANNND OF COURSE
they don't fit IN THE ****ING OTHER CASE REEEEEEEEEE

time to go back to square 1
does anybody sell like a little tip holder box with double sided tape I can just slap onto both of these things like **** now I need a TWS case HOLDER to hold my cases and my tips lord have mercy

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2021 at 9:40 PM Post #48 of 84
I just got those same Senns in the same sale and wasn't impressed. Excellent soundstage and imaging, but damn, the sound is SO thin. There's no bass. I'm not a basshead, but those buds have the classic Sennheiser sound -- clear mids and highs, with thin bass. Plus they have no IPX waterproofing rating and a weird fit because of their square shape.

At your price range, I recommend the Cambridge Audio Melomania 1 or Helm Audio Truly Wireless 5.0.

The Melomania 1's have nice, balanced sound. Bass is present but not bloated. Clear mids and highs. Three negatives, though. One, the bullet-like shape isn't for everyone and could lead to a weird, uncomfortable fit. Two, the Melomania's don't get very loud. If you like to harass your ear drums, these aren't your buds. Three, the Melomania's don't come with an app.

Since October, I've tried quite a few earbud models, including the Lypertek Tevi (very good despite hot mids), Cambridge Audio Melomania 1 (excellent), FIIL T1X (mids a bit too hot and elevated), Sony WF-1000XM3 (bloated, uncontrolled bass, just like Sony over-ears), Anker Soundcore Liberty 2 Pro (crap - unbelievably overrated), Soundpeats TruEngine 3 SE (not bad for $50) and Sennheiser CX 400BT (excellent soundstage but tinny sound -- no bass).

None of the above worked just right for me, either for sound or comfort, so I gave up on IEMs for a while and just focused on the sweet sound from my Meze 99 Classics closed-back over-ears. But then I saw a Flash deal on Amazon for the Helm Audio True Wireless 5.0 last Wednesday for $90, down from their normal $130. I watched and read a few reviews online, and they were largely positive, so I thought: "What the hell? These look solid. I'll give them a go on sale."

My initial reaction after about three or four hours of listening with the Helm True Wireless 5.0 is, "Why the hell aren't more people talking about these?" I think they're excellent, rivaled only by the Cambridge Audio Melomania 1 in my list above. And I still think the Helm's are slightly better.

Many reviewers either complain or praise the Helm's for a lot of bass. It's true -- these babies go down low in ample supply. But it never bleeds or bloats into the mids like the Sony's, and it doesn't sound artificial as hell like the Anker Liberty 2 Pros. The midrange and highs are solid.

I would describe the sound quality as U-shaped. It's not nearly as V-shaped as some reviewers describe. It's vibrant, fun -- much like the Meze 99 Classics that I adore.

Other plusses of the Helm Audio are separation and imaging. While the soundstage isn't massive, you definitely get a good sense of where each instrument is placed. Plus there's also minimal grain in the treble. I'm not a basshead -- I like rich, smooth bass that stays in its place -- but I'm also sensitive to shrill and grainy treble. These roll off at just the right spot, with good detail.

The Sennheiser CX 400BT that I've most recently tested have wider soundstage and slightly better separation than the Helm's, but their sound is thin and tinny. Prominent mids -- the usual Sennheiser sound. Clinical but not engaging. Plus they're $200 at full price, with no IPX rating.

These are the first buds I've heard that have rich, warm bass that resembles those of a quality over-ear can. No, they're not as resonant or clear as my Meze 99 Classics. But they have a fun sound signature that works with a lot of different kinds of music.

Yes, much like the Meze 99 Classics, these are not buds for those who want a totally neutral sound signature or who worship the Harman Curve like a deity. But also like the 99 Classics, holy hell, they're a fun listen that is far more entertaining than some neutral, studio cans and buds I've tried. Isn't that what this hobby is about?

The Helms have AptX and AAC. They have battery life of about six to eight hours, with about 25-30 in the charging case. I like the diamond-cut look of the exterior, and the button is tactile and less finicky than many touch controls on buds. The fit also is excellent, as the one-size-fits-all wing locks the bud into your ear. And these buds have the best Bluetooth range of any I've tried, reportedly 60 feet. These stay connected in areas of my house where other buds lose signal.

Frankly, these buds have stunned me. They're the best I've heard in the price range, and they're on sale pretty often for less than $100. Helm also offers a 50 percent discount to first responders, which is cool as hell. About the only thing lacking with these buds is no app. That would have been a big plus, but I'm happy with the stock sound signature. Plus I can use music app-based EQ to tune the sound on my iPhone.

I'm pleased as hell with the Helm Audio True Wireless 5.0. I'm also surprised more people aren't talking about them in this and other headphone/earbud subreddits.

I'm going to try the Helms based on this post. Should be getting them Thursday, can't wait!

Feb 13, 2021 at 10:07 PM Post #49 of 84
I'm going to try the Helms based on this post. Should be getting them Thursday, can't wait!
I'm glad someone made up their mind :p
I just had an epiphany after I took $10 HE400 pads that sucks ass on my sundara and put them on MY DT990s I legit think I found a new meta
the bass is about as good as my sundara' the extra filter lowers the treble and the stiff pads bring the mids forward with still great soundstage

gunna try DT990 pads on my DT1990 now

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2021 at 10:18 PM Post #50 of 84
DT990 pads on DT1990 -> higher treble slightly hot, maybe a bit less than A pads, even more detailed mids, dynamic slap is gone but sub bass is completely fix

also they feel much better sorry for posting this on the TWS but damn I'm glad where all this somehow lew

Feb 13, 2021 at 10:25 PM Post #51 of 84
aaannnndd now im about to put DT990 pads on my sundara

i'm going to **** off to the open back forum for a bit but before that

pads and tips I didn't think it be like that but it do
they-dont-think-it-be-like-it-is-but-it-do.jpg

Feb 14, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #52 of 84
great now i get to choose between too much upper mid and too little bass because I can't fit either of the big tips in the freaking charge case
:rage:

EDIT- legit upper mids stay a little hot but both larger earpieces actually make it sound good I dare say the longest makes it sound like it's a more expensive set
:rage: :rage: :rage:
WHYYY HIFIMAN WHYYY JUST MAKE A BIGGER CASE

gunna let them burn in and see what happens but this is pretty sad, I will keep it because everything else is great and female vocals sound good on all buds but WHYYYY

Sturdy, smart build quality and quality control aren't specialties of HiFiMan, sadly.

Feb 14, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #53 of 84

Hope you like them. They'll never be mistaken for quality, audiophile over-ears, but I really dig them for $90 wireless IEMs. I'm not a basshead, but one of the biggest flaws in most wireless IEMs is either thin bass or no bass. There's nothing wrong with bass, especially if it doesn't bloom and boom into the mids.

I'm 55 and still love to stand next to the amps at a club rock show and get my face melted (pre-pandemic). So, yeah, I don't mind a bit of controlled bass!

Feb 17, 2021 at 7:43 AM Post #54 of 84
THIS IS NOT A DRILL SAMSUNG GALAXY BUDS NEW $50 WALMART FREE 1 DAY SHIPPING, NEW $60 BEST BUY THIS IS NOT A DRILL SAMSUNG GALAXY BUDS NEW $50 WALMART FREE 1 DAY SHIPPING, NEW $60 BEST BUY THIS IS NOT A DRILL SAMSUNG GALAXY BUDS NEW $50 WALMART FREE 1 DAY SHIPPING, NEW $60 BEST BUY THIS IS NOT A DRILL SAMSUNG GALAXY BUDS NEW $50 WALMART FREE 1 DAY SHIPPING, NEW $60 BEST BUY THIS IS NOT A DRILL SAMSUNG GALAXY BUDS NEW $50 WALMART FREE 1 DAY SHIPPING, NEW $60 BEST BUY

Feb 23, 2021 at 12:43 AM Post #56 of 84
Hope you like them. They'll never be mistaken for quality, audiophile over-ears, but I really dig them for $90 wireless IEMs. I'm not a basshead, but one of the biggest flaws in most wireless IEMs is either thin bass or no bass. There's nothing wrong with bass, especially if it doesn't bloom and boom into the mids.

I'm 55 and still love to stand next to the amps at a club rock show and get my face melted (pre-pandemic). So, yeah, I don't mind a bit of controlled bass!

Got them Sunday and gave them about 4 hours of listening. Then I returned them today.

I actually liked them. Exactly how you described them, fun! Bass heavy with pretty decent quality, but not too overboard in my opinion. I wish they had an app to EQ or I played with EQ some more so that I could get the upper mids and highs to be more pronounced.

The reason why I returned them was because when playing DnB or anything with fast treble/highs, it sounds like the drivers were clipping or getting distorted.

That's now 2 for 2 on TWS's I've tried and had to return them.

I want to try the Cambridge Melomania and the Sennheiser CX400BT/MWT2 next, but not sure if I should buy both at the same time to do a side by side or just keep buying one at a time and continue the "buy, try, return" cycle.

Feb 23, 2021 at 12:48 AM Post #57 of 84
Got them Sunday and gave them about 4 hours of listening. Then I returned them today.

I actually liked them. Exactly how you described them, fun! Bass heavy with pretty decent quality, but not too overboard in my opinion. I wish they had an app to EQ or I played with EQ some more so that I could get the upper mids and highs to be more pronounced.

The reason why I returned them was because when playing DnB or anything with fast treble/highs, it sounds like the drivers were clipping or getting distorted.

That's now 2 for 2 on TWS's I've tried and had to return them.

I want to try the Cambridge Melomania and the Sennheiser CX400BT/MWT2 next, but not sure if I should buy both at the same time to do a side by side or just keep buying one at a time and continue the "buy, try, return" cycle.
you tried the $50 galaxy buds?

lol god I am shilling hard samsung should pay me!

but honestly EQ apps would fix so many TWS it's a huge misstep by the makers not to include it, my TWS600 could be bearable to use, god they are bad

Feb 23, 2021 at 12:54 AM Post #58 of 84
I'm starting to wonder if I'm approaching TWS with the wrong mindset. Are we just that spoiled by IEM and over ear quality and performance for the prices we pay for TWS?

I'm honestly expecting something similar to Monster Turbines, RevoNext RN-QT2, or (for those that remember) Soundsoul S-018.

Feb 23, 2021 at 12:58 AM Post #59 of 84
I'm starting to wonder if I'm approaching TWS with the wrong mindset. Are we just that spoiled by IEM and over ear quality and performance for the prices we pay for TWS?

I'm honestly expecting something similar to Monster Turbines, RevoNext RN-QT2, or (for those that remember) Soundsoul S-018.
No your not spoiled, its that the TWS market wants something diffrent and rewards those who have good features and marketing over pure sound unlike hte high end IEM I doubt high end IEM makers can afford to keep reasonable prices and compete in the TWS market when most would flock to brand names like samsung for slightly worse performance and pay even more... Also I think IEM makers don't really want to enter the TWS market, I mean at some point it just becomes an upcharge, why wants to buy $1000 IEMs when a TWS version just as good is $1100? then that manufacturer has gimped themselves vs others whose products remain only as IEMs, audiophiles will still buy others IEMS meanwhile they have to live up to headache TWS quality standards/warranties in addition.... it really is a different ballgame for smaller companies who have experts for sound and drivers but not TWS tech.

basically there is no need for it and no real demand for higher quality audiophile for most TWS consumers where B tier items are seen as more than good enough and their description of good audio is "gets loud"

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2021 at 1:16 AM Post #60 of 84
No your not spoiled, its that the TWS market wants something diffrent and rewards those who have good features and marketing over pure sound unlike hte high end IEM I doubt high end IEM makers can afford to keep reasonable prices and compete in the TWS market when most would flock to brand names like samsung for slightly worse performance and pay even more... Also I think IEM makers don't really want to enter the TWS market, I mean at some point it just becomes an upcharge, why wants to buy $1000 IEMs when a TWS version just as good is $1100? then that manufacturer has gimped themselves vs others whose products remain only as IEMs, audiophiles will still buy others IEMS meanwhile they have to live up to headache TWS quality standards/warranties in addition.... it really is a different ballgame for smaller companies who have experts for sound and drivers but not TWS tech.

basically there is no need for it and no real demand for higher quality audiophile for most TWS consumers where B tier items are seen as more than good enough and their description of good audio is "gets loud"

That actually makes a lot of sense, and is very unfortunate for this segment even if it's slightly true. I wonder when I'm just going to bite the bullet and get one of those MMCX/IPX bluetooth dongle/adapters and just rig IEMs to be "wireless" :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back