Best Tube Amps Under $1000?
Mar 3, 2021 at 12:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Renegadeblue

Head-Fier
Hey all,

I’ve never owned a tube amp before. I currently am running a Topping a90/d90 stack. My two sets of cans at the moment are the Audeze LCD-4 and Hifiman HEKSE. I want to start experimenting with a tubes but don’t really know where to start. I’m really looking for good suggestions between 500-$1000. Also interested in used options that could be had in this price range. Any suggestions very much appreciated!

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2021 at 12:32 AM Post #2 of 9
Nice headphones, both very revealing. If I recall, the impedances are 200 ohms for the LCD-4 and 35 ohms for the HEKSE...close to opposite ends of the spectrum. To allow for using both headphones, you may consider a tube hybrid headphone amplifier: tube pre-amp stage followed by solid-state amp in one chassis. In your budget lies the Monoprice Liquid Platinum: a tube hybrid currently at $799.99 (before shipping, taxes, etc). It has been on sale (down to $399.99) periodically: keep an eye out. The LP has a wide following and ownership among Head-Fiers, including me. The LP allows for tube substitution (“rolling”). Some LP owners have had the capacitors upgraded and also use external power supplies:......me. There are within Head-Fi discussion threads on the Liquid Platinum and on tube rolling with the Liquid Platinum. The sound quality of the LP is very good and upscales to outstanding with tube and other modifications. I hope that this helps!

Mar 3, 2021 at 12:39 AM Post #3 of 9
Nice headphones, both very revealing. If I recall, the impedances are 200 ohms for the LCD-4 and 35 ohms for the HEKSE...close to opposite ends of the spectrum. To allow for using both headphones, you may consider a tube hybrid headphone amplifier: tube pre-amp stage followed by solid-state amp in one chassis. In your budget lies the Monoprice Liquid Platinum: a tube hybrid currently at $799.99 (before shipping, taxes, etc). It has been on sale (down to $399.99) periodically: keep an eye out. The LP has a wide following and ownership among Head-Fiers, including me. The LP allows for tube substitution (“rolling”). Some LP owners have had the capacitors upgraded and also use external power supplies:......me. There are within Head-Fi discussion threads on the Liquid Platinum and on tube rolling with the Liquid Platinum. The sound quality of the LP is very good and upscales to outstanding with tube and other modifications. I hope that this helps!
Thanks so much. Very helpful! I actually had my eye on this one. I didn’t see the Black Friday price of $400 and almost took it. I’ll keep an eye out for the next sale. Appreciate it!

Mar 3, 2021 at 12:40 AM Post #4 of 9
Schiit Lyr 3

Single tube for easy tube-rolling, and it's a hybrid with plenty of power for pretty much any headphone.

Mar 3, 2021 at 12:47 AM Post #5 of 9
Thanks so much. Very helpful! I actually had my eye on this one. I didn’t see the Black Friday price of $400 and almost took it. I’ll keep an eye out for the next sale. Appreciate it!
One more consideration: the LP was designed by Alex Cavalli as a balanced amplifier. To get the best sound quality with the LP, the input cables and the headphone cables should be of the “balanced” XLR variety. The single-end connections are offered as a “convenience”.

Mar 3, 2021 at 1:30 AM Post #6 of 9
Scratch that recommendation - OTL amps won't pair well.

Mar 3, 2021 at 1:38 AM Post #7 of 9
...with a few exceptions. If the output tubes have a low internal resistance and the amp is capable of delivering a decent amount of current, it should work.

My WBA Tzar should arrive sometime next week. It’s supposed to be able to drive HE-500s well (the original, “proper” ones, not the Drop tribute act...).

We shall see.

Mar 3, 2021 at 3:45 AM Post #8 of 9
Why not put a Tube Preamp in between. Cost less.

Schiit amps are wel regarded and very good quality. Their top tube balanced hybrid Mjolnir is uner $1K.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #9 of 9
So far, I’m impressed:

C5F99B33-6555-4D87-900C-84E3F6FADE51.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back