best tube amp under $1000 not needing all upgrades
Jan 26, 2010 at 2:22 PM Post #16 of 44
I think the $800 Decware CSP-2 is a great headphone amp, and requires no "upgrades", although I do prefer it with about $100 worth of NOS tubes versus the Russian tubes that it came with. But even with the stock tubes, it is very good sounding, and mine has worked flawlessly.

Jan 26, 2010 at 9:42 PM Post #18 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seamaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$1000 for a great tube amp? That's kind pushing it.

Wires, capacitor and resistors don't cost THAT much (some irony here)

I think you will be able to get an EXCELLENT amplifier for 1000$

Jan 26, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #19 of 44
I know exactly what you mean...except for the power tube upgrade, my WA2 will be stock when I purchase this year. I'm sure I will be happy with it as I have already heard it stock w/o the tube upgrade.

Jan 27, 2010 at 1:34 AM Post #20 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the $800 Decware CSP-2 is a great headphone amp, and requires no "upgrades", although I do prefer it with about $100 worth of NOS tubes versus the Russian tubes that it came with. But even with the stock tubes, it is very good sounding, and mine has worked flawlessly.

Ditto...

It was Skylab's review of the CSP2 that had me pull the trigger on one. Combined with my DT880 600 Ohm cans they are magic.

Granted these are the first HQ headphones and amp I have owned but I'm able to listen to them all day long with no complaints and resulting in pure audio Nirvana.

Upgraded tubes make a huge difference in the sound signature...

Jan 27, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #21 of 44
From my experience, the Woo 6 SE ($1,050) is the best I've heard in the price range. There could be other amps better but i found the Woo 6 SE the most addictive during a meet. I would try to audition first or make a trek out to a meet to judge yourself. If you are investing $1000 for an amp, do not rely on other people's opinions.

Jan 27, 2010 at 3:15 AM Post #22 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seamaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$1000 for a great tube amp? That's kind pushing it.

Mine is pretty awesome..... Seamaster you is funny sometimes
tongue.gif

Jan 27, 2010 at 4:56 AM Post #23 of 44
I have met Donald at a meet. I liked how the amp sounded even before he introduced himself. The Sonnett sounds a lot like the SP Extreme, which I've had. I found him to very open about the design. The $$ aspect is subjective, IMO. It's all about the sound.

Back to the OP, you did not say what cans and DAC you have. I find the Mk VI a real sleeper. With the right tube combo, it makes magic. Of course, going balanced is a requirement.

Jan 27, 2010 at 5:03 AM Post #24 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by paara /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Good power supplies do. Most of what you are paying for (or most of what you are paying for in a well designed tube amp) is the power supply. In the case of a tube amp, transformers are expensive. It gets worse if you need output transformers.

Jan 27, 2010 at 5:26 AM Post #25 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by paara /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Wires, caps and resistors don't cost all that much.

Power transformers, chokes, output transformers, and potentiometers do.

Pick up a decent power transformer, choke and two output transformers and you can easily get in $500-700 without buying anything else. A stepped attenuator can run $150-$250 or more. Then you need to spend at least $60-$100 for a case.

When I get the time, I'm going to put together Ciuffoli's SESS amp with 417A tubes. The plans are over at HeadWize.

I spent $700 for a power transformer, three chokes and two output transformers. Another $250 for a stepped attenuator. I picked up around $100 of aluminum for the case, and around $100 for the caps, resistors and wire. I figure there will be another $100 in incidentals (tube sockets, jacks, feet, etc.) to finish it. That doesn't count labor or tools. I figure I'd have to sell it for $2,500-$3,000 to justify building one for someone else.

Jan 27, 2010 at 5:52 AM Post #26 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wires, caps and resistors don't cost all that much.

Power transformers, chokes, output transformers, and potentiometers do.

Pick up a decent power transformer, choke and two output transformers and you can easily get in $500-700 without buying anything else. A stepped attenuator can run $150-$250 or more. Then you need to spend at least $60-$100 for a case.

When I get the time, I'm going to put together Ciuffoli's SESS amp with 417A tubes. The plans are over at HeadWize.

I spent $700 for a power transformer, three chokes and two output transformers. Another $250 for a stepped attenuator. I picked up around $100 of aluminum for the case, and around $100 for the caps, resistors and wire. I figure there will be another $100 in incidentals (tube sockets, jacks, feet, etc.) to finish it. That doesn't count labor or tools. I figure I'd have to sell it for $2,500-$3,000 to justify building one for someone else.

2nd time in head-fi history, I have to agree with you 101% Uncle Erik. No amp builder is at community service (I did 20 hours for my DUI case
frown.gif
that sucked), they have to make living some how. The idea, design, and craftmanship are what you pay for, as I am very happy with Woo product.

Jan 27, 2010 at 9:37 AM Post #27 of 44
I greatly appreciate all the feedback from my query, a lot of interesting amps have been mentioned, Sonett, Decware csp-2 among others, but once again, the woo special version of the WA6SE is $1050 a modest $400 over the WA6, but they also offer another $900 of upgrades that is already supposed to be a special edition of an already good amp, the WA6, soooooooo they have a WA6 ($620) or (950) the WA6SE (1050) or ($1975), so they have a WA6 for less than $700, but if you want what they consider the best version of the same amp starting with WA6, it's almost $1300 more. I just don't see it, don't get it, find it somewhat dishonest, or at least misleading, and I find it somewhat irritating. I would much prefer to buy from someone else who makes no illusions as to what they are selling, Woo just seems way to complicated a choice for me, because I would just have to have the best version. Than again the WA5 LE is only $500 more than the jazzed up WA6 SE with all the upgrades

Jan 27, 2010 at 9:47 AM Post #29 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by keithhr1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I greatly appreciate all the feedback from my query, a lot of interesting amps have been mentioned, Sonett, Decware csp-2 among others, but once again, the woo special version of the WA6SE is $1050 a modest $400 over the WA6, but they also offer another $900 of upgrades that is already supposed to be a special edition of an already good amp, the WA6, soooooooo they have a WA6 ($620) or (950) the WA6SE (1050) or ($1975), so they have a WA6 for less than $700, but if you want what they consider the best version of the same amp starting with WA6, it's almost $1300 more. I just don't see it, don't get it, find it somewhat dishonest, or at least misleading, and I find it somewhat irritating. I would much prefer to buy from someone else who makes no illusions as to what they are selling, Woo just seems way to complicated a choice for me, because I would just have to have the best version. Than again the WA5 LE is only $500 more than the jazzed up WA6 SE with all the upgrades

I'am in the same boat as you, send a few e-mails to Jack to explain me the differences, to summarize get the WA 6 with the sophia tube rectifier, that is all you need, as the other upgrades will make hardly any difference if any.
The WA6 SE is more op power, Jack reckons you will not need it for any headphone currently present,I'am feeling this should help you a bit.

Jan 27, 2010 at 10:04 AM Post #30 of 44
these are all really good replies, especially about the WA6 with sophia rectifier. The sonett is almost double and I don't see anyone talking about darkvoice. I just thought i would throw in one additional thought, I have access to the Lehmann supply line, a purchase of course, do any of the Lehmann headphone amps compete sonically with the better tube stuff. I've been using a heed for standard late night tv and stuff but I really want to have a more provocative sound. Especially when I grew up in the tube generation, we had to constantly take tubes up to a local drug store and use the testers which were everywhere, my how things have changed, all there were, were tubes, maybe I should bit the bullet and buy a woo with the sophia rectifier upgrade, I know they will work well with my sennheiser headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back