Best Traveling Full Sized Earphones
Jan 24, 2012 at 5:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

sammyman

New Head-Fier
I am about to spend a couple days on a plane traveling to a number of places and want something to keep out the sound.  Was thinking of getting one over the ear headphones to keep out the noise. 

I was thinking of Sennheiser HD25-1 II's.  Any other suggestions?  

Jan 24, 2012 at 6:38 PM Post #3 of 12

Quote:
I am about to spend a couple days on a plane traveling to a number of places and want something to keep out the sound.  Was thinking of getting one over the ear headphones to keep out the noise. 

I was thinking of Sennheiser HD25-1 II's.  Any other suggestions?  

Some basic questions: music preferences? Price range?

Knowing neither of these, here are my thoughts:

The HD-25 I II is on-ear, so it bascially won't black out anything. I'd suggest the Fischer Audio FA-003, which has gigantic earpads to keep out even the worst. LFF remarked that he couldn't hear anything while wearing them, and that the person next to him could never hear anything from them either. I feel equally. However, the FA-003 is a bit large for travel, but it's very light and the sound quality makes up for its cumbersome size.

Sincerely,

Jan 24, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #4 of 12

Quote:
Some basic questions: music preferences? Price range?

Knowing neither of these, here are my thoughts:

The HD-25 I II is on-ear, so it bascially won't black out anything. I'd suggest the Fischer Audio FA-003, which has gigantic earpads to keep out even the worst. LFF remarked that he couldn't hear anything while wearing them, and that the person next to him could never hear anything from them either. I feel equally. However, the FA-003 is a bit large for travel, but it's very light and the sound quality makes up for its cumbersome size.

Sincerely,

Thanks for the suggestions.  I would like to keep it around $200, but $300 would be ok if I really loved them.  I actually keep getting sucked into the Bose 15 headphones, but I know better!  

Noise canceling would be great, but I don't want to be replacing batteries.  I would prefer a lighter weight smaller headphone as well.  Big honking earphones wouldn't be great for the way I travel.  

Jan 24, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #6 of 12
Honestly for a plane you might you might actually want to go with noise cancelling cans or deep insertion IEMs. I dont think anything else will be good enough to kill the droning sound.

Jan 24, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #7 of 12
I echo the IEM suggestion, but if you're looking exclusively full-size and care about audio quality, a passive-isolation full-size like the FA-003 should do it.

Jan 24, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #8 of 12
Within the $200-300 range DT1350 is significantly better sounding than HD25-1 for me, it is priced higher though.  Sennheiser is introducing a new variant called the HD25 Amperior with an expected street price of $300-ish which may be worth a look.

Jan 24, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
Within the $200-300 range DT1350 is significantly better sounding than HD25-1 for me, it is priced higher though.  Sennheiser is introducing a new variant called the HD25 Amperior with an expected street price of $300-ish which may be worth a look.

However, such on-ears will barely isolate any noise if that's a priority. If isolation isn't needed, I also endorse the DT1350.

Jan 24, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #10 of 12
I like wearing tight-fitting over-ears as a kind of earmuff and them wearing an IEM underneath... But I might be weird.

etysmile.gif

Jan 24, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #11 of 12
This is probably the only situation that would warrant me considering the Bose Quiet Comforts. Though the audio quality in general isn't anywhere near as good as anything we typically look at in the price point, I have to hand it to Bose that they are extremely lightweight and comfortable, and the noise cancellation is fairly well executed, although I don't particularly like active noise cancelling, since it makes me feel funny (your head feels a bit like a vacuum, and you feel very slightly unstable). IEMs might actually produce better sound at your price, but I can't see them being comfortable for a long plane ride.

I'm a little on edge for the HM5s, I don't think I'd wear mine on a plane ride just due to the bulk.

Just my 2 cents.

Edit: Since Bose is a more mainstream brand, it's not too difficult to find a large electronics store where you can try them on. I've run into a Bose display quite a few times.

Jan 24, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #12 of 12
Just go for the HD-25 I II. They are my travel mates. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back