Best-than beats mixr at less price, and equal passive isolation
Feb 12, 2013 at 12:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ggerard

New Head-Fier
Hi everybody,

I have decided to buy my first on-ear headphones, after having been a regular user of in-ear ones. Then, I've gone to my shop here and been able to compare the beats mixr with a bunch of 50-100€ other ones.

1) I didn't know that on-ear could provide such a good passive isolation. I've found the one in beats really suprising for me. Now that I know, I really want an on-ear headphone with good passive isolation
2) I've found the clarity of the mixr very nice, just listening the beginning of Nude (Radioheads) song
3) I don't want to buy the beats (It is too obvious you are paying an extra tax), so I've tried other sub-100 € options
4) All these options were dramatically worse in comparison. Just mixed and messy.

So in conclusion, my non-expert ears do not want more than what mixr offers (probably wouldn't appreciate?), but definitively need something similar in quality. I also need a similar passive isolation, and I expect to spend less (-> better quality-per-euro ratio).

Based on this, looking at the threads here it is like there are hundreds of options. After a while looking (I am still there), I've decided to ask for advide with my specific case.

Which one would you buy?

Any help is deeply welcomed :)

Feb 12, 2013 at 7:26 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:
I am going to go for the AKG K550, almost half the price and similar quality. Am i wrong??

Those will be much better then the Mixers. One problem is it is very hard to get a seal on the K550.

Feb 13, 2013 at 2:10 AM Post #5 of 10
Thanks for your replies :)

1) I've just read the innerfidelity review. But it seems that at the end it is achievable, isn't it? If it is so, then I guess it is not a problem

2) fundamentally to be isolated from background noise, and to listen pop, alternative rock, rap/hiphop, jazz and classic. No BT, no active isolation wanted. Music source will be either a phone (LG android) or a computer (imac) (mp3 and flac). Not to be listened outdoors.

*A very related post here, where the K550 seems just too neutral? But the Denons seem out of the price range (and not good for isolation).
Perhaps the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 are the way to go? Are they good on isolation? -> good review here, based on a price tag of 100$. In my case, the price would be the same as the K550, 160€

K550 is an excellent product , but it geared towards classical opera performances rather than mainstream hip-hop RnB with thumping bass. We called it balanced sounding.
I already tried, if you like that thumping tight very deep bass even dt1350 execute much better than K550.
Denon usually geared towards loose big deep thumping bass but still the impact way better than K550 on that genre.
Shure is neutral sounding with very lack of thumping bass, definitely not for modern genre music

*A "cnet" list of best headphones, at least a starting point for newcomers (like me) here

So, I am thinking I am going for the BEYERDYNAMIC CUSTOM ONE PRO (review), even though it is slightly too expensive (200€), but I think this is the best I can get.

->->-> Am I wasting money??

Feb 13, 2013 at 7:34 AM Post #6 of 10
bump
ksc75smile.gif

I was going to buy them in few hours
popcorn.gif

Feb 13, 2013 at 7:45 AM Post #7 of 10
Have you considered Audio-Technica ATH-A900X?
tongue.gif
I know I am suggesting them everywhere, but they really impressed me after a direct comparison against the K550. Same price, much richer and full-bodied, much bassier. Good for music-listening, movies, games.

K550 is a lot more neutral in comparison, yes. And a lot thinner. I think it's more ideal for video editing for me, because the sound is very clean and relaxed (no fatigue).

See my review here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/650499/comparison-review-ath-a9x-ath-a900x-akg-k550-three-way-shootout

Feb 13, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #8 of 10
For 200 euro you might as well be getting the Sony MDR-1R (which on amazon DE is down from 249 to 200 euro). I like the COP (though i only heard it very briefly) but for the few minutes i heard it, i liked the Sony much more.

Feb 13, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #9 of 10
If you really want a good isolating on-ear look into the HD25/Amperior (there are Amperior refurbs going for under $200 on VMinnovations) or the Beyerdynamic DT1350. The DTs are more neutral and flat while the HD25/Amperiors have a more v-shaped energetic presentation with a bigger bass punch and sparkly treble.

Feb 14, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #10 of 10
Thanks all for your reply. Thanks for the review of ATH-A900X, very very interesting. BUT, the price I found was of 250€, too high for me. The Sony MDR1R is not at 200€, but at 180€ in amazon.es, it definitively "was" a direct competitor (from what I´ve read). But I don´t want to read more, because yesterday I ordered the BEYERDYNAMIC. I am flying and I wanted them before, so I didn´t have the time I would liked.

*Thanks for the link (VMinnovations), I didn't know them. However, I ignore if a similar shop exists in Europe. Such a shame that Europe and the states seem to live in different planets in terms of buying stuff.

Thanks again, I know I will be satisfied with these cans because I will have nothing to compare with, that's always a good trick :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back