Best Studio Headphones
Mar 30, 2014 at 8:25 AM Post #212 of 601
Mar 30, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #214 of 601
They're lighter and much more comfortable. For some reason in the UK the 380 pro seem to be cheaper too.

Mar 30, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #217 of 601
  What about sound though?

I've only tried the 280 once so I can't really comment. But the fact is the 380 are a model higher so should sound better.

Mar 30, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #218 of 601
V6 became my worst hp purchase ever. I preferred every hp before and after it

They're good to use while recording I imagine. It's hard to believe some folks actually use them for listening to music though, but "different strokes...", I guess..Mine have a HUGE peak somewhere around 4 khz

Mar 30, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #219 of 601
  Actually I think it was in the 7520 thread on this forum, but this is just as surprising! People seem to get very attached to their V6' and 7506's. To an extent I understand it. Those phones are in a way very well balanced, and if you get used to the sound I can imagine it's hard to like other things. BUT, they lie! They lie extremely well, but they lie. Despite the fact that the FR seems quite flat, they nonetheless sound quite V shaped and coloured. And I really don't believe that the bass on the V6 is more extended than the 7520!

Some people are just used to their gear. Which is good ... for them. But not a reason not to make better gear. I very much agree with this Gearslutz post.

They become attached to V6 and 7506 because they are often their first decent pairs.

Indeed. They're workhorses. They're good for the price. They can be found as monitoring headphones everywhere. They're an easy first choice. Doesn't mean they're the best for mixing.

I've only tried the 280 once so I can't really comment. But the fact is the 380 are a model higher so should sound better.

Both are marketed as monitoring headphones, though. The HD 6 Mix is the one Sennheiser currently pitches for mixing duty:

The video starts by presenting all three as DJ headphones, but keep listening.

Mar 31, 2014 at 1:45 AM Post #222 of 601
I'll say it again. The 7506/V6 are AMAZING for vocal tracking, because the last thing you need is more bass from the headphones to muddy up your own exaggerated perception of your voice's bass frequencies. And they're not half bad for editing. Not a mixing headphone though, although some professionals have gotten really used to them for exactly that.

Mar 31, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #223 of 601
The HD380's are not at best buy, if I were to return my HD280's I would only get best buy store credit. So what are the best Best Buy headphones for under 150$ for studio use? Should I just keep the HD280's? I cant get market place items at Best Buy with store credit either.
I like these headphones but they are so uncomfortable and clunky

Mar 31, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #224 of 601
  The HD380's are not at best buy, if I were to return my HD280's I would only get best buy store credit. So what are the best Best Buy headphones for under 150$ for studio use? Should I just keep the HD280's? I cant get market place items at Best Buy with store credit either.
I like these headphones but they are so uncomfortable and clunky

Looking over what best buy has, I don't see anything I'd prefer over the HD280s in the $50-150 range. Though, if there is any way to shift your funds from Best Buy, I'd recommend picking up either an HD25-II or an Amperior for less clunkiness. 

Mar 31, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #225 of 601

Looking over what best buy has, I don't see anything I'd prefer over the HD280s in the $50-150 range. Though, if there is any way to shift your funds from Best Buy, I'd recommend picking up either an HD25-II or an Amperior for less clunkiness. 

I am actually glad to hear this because it means I can be satisfied knowing I have the best headphones I could get. I cant shift the funds from Best Buy, I got the funds from returning a previous purchase I made there. However, I don't think I will be buying from Best Buy again, since they have very little selection. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back