Best Studio Headphones
Jan 29, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #17 of 601

LFF's Paradox.

Didn't you describe them as mid-forward (rather than linear) in your review? 

I find them to be very natural. Why would you include the AD's then? They aren't linear
tongue.gif

Jan 29, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #18 of 601
  I find them to be very natural. Why would you include the AD's then? They aren't linear
tongue.gif

They're supposed to be, very much so. We'll know soon for sure, with Tyll's measurements.

Can you describe what you mean by natural (if it is different from neutral)? Are the Paradox's mids forward or not? What makes you think the Paradox would make a good pair of monitoring headphones? (I'm not challenging you; I do wish to know.)

Jan 29, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #21 of 601

tongue.gif

They're supposed to be, very much so. We'll know soon for sure, with Tyll's measurements.

Can you describe what you mean by natural (if it is different from neutral)? Are the Paradox's mids forward or not? What makes you think the Paradox would make a good pair of monitoring headphones? (I'm not challenging you; I do wish to know.)

Natural meaning that it sounds very realistic, with the mids being a little forward, but not too much. They're also VERY comfortable(rivals the DT880) and they're durable. 

Jan 29, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #26 of 601

LFF's Paradox.

Correct me if I'm wrong but luis has quite the background in recording. I think the paradox or my mad dog rev. 3.2 would/are awesome for recording (have not heard the paradox).

Yes, Luis does. Also, https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1wi8M-HSeK0JF33P-5ypydQjQ4OshRQhvWM0IX2h0NQ8/edit?pli=1#slide=id.g25f83b2cd_0342 and next slide.. Ehh, Don't think MD's would fit the bill. THis is from Innerfidelity: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/one-enthusiasts-take-top-line-headphones-state-flagships

Jan 29, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #28 of 601
  Yeah I read that but I believe measurements only tell half of the story, if that. I don't remember seeing the paradox in that review and I doubt it gets a much higher grade than the mad dog. The srh1840 I think got an even worse grade but I love it. I'm sure luis does do a great job modifying headphones but I still think he's a bit pricey. You can get an hd800 for what he wants for the codex and a hd600 and then some for what he wants for a paradox. Again I have not heard his headphones but he has some really stiff competition from sennheiser imo.

Okay, having the HD650 here, I can tell you that I prefer the Paradox to the HD650 for all genres, and comfort. I cannot speak of the Code-X, as I have not heard it, so I'm not going to assume anything at this point.

Jan 29, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #29 of 601
  Okay, having the HD650 here, I can tell you that I prefer the Paradox to the HD650 for all genres, and comfort. I cannot speak of the Code-X, as I have not heard it, so I'm not going to assume anything at this point.

not surprised here! The ZMF mod has better instrument separation than the hd650
  Yeah I read that but I believe measurements only tell half of the story, if that. I don't remember seeing the paradox in that review and I doubt it gets a much higher grade than the mad dog. The srh1840 I think got an even worse grade but I love it. I'm sure luis does do a great job modifying headphones but I still think he's a bit pricey. You can get an hd800 for what he wants for the codex and a hd600 and then some for what he wants for a paradox. Again I have not heard his headphones but he has some really stiff competition from sennheiser imo.

you would be surprised!... not that I have heard it but I have heard other mods that sound totallllllly different than the mad dog... like a whole new hp. When they first compared the alpha dog to the paradox the paradox was still said to be supreme in detail retrieval, neutrality, sq.

I dont like to regurgitate stuff but I am just saying that you may be really surprised!

My only thing is that really flat or recessed bass doesn't translate to speakers in a mix well... specially modern music. 

Some t50rp should be listed. 

Jan 29, 2014 at 11:41 PM Post #30 of 601
  This is a good thread however studio headphones would have to have two categories, recording/tracking and monitoring. 

Yeah, I thought about that. On the other hand, if you're in a place quiet enough to use open headphones, why not use near-field monitors?

For someone that wants one to do both the best is probably the German Maestro because it is moderately accurate for monitoring, will stand up to the tests of different people coming in and using them to track, and the isolation is easily the best out of the bunch. The yamaha and sony will do very well in translating to the near field monitors. 

I thought about including other criteria than sound -- i.e. comfort, isolation, durability, price -- but finally decided to downplay (not ignore) those factors, in order to simplify the comparison process. Ideally, I'd be rich, buy all of them, then make a table giving each of them a grade for each criteria, like |joker| does for IEMs and average_joe for CIEMs.

So, if I understand correctly, you place the Sony and Yamaha above the German Maestro, sound-wise, but would give the German Maestro precedence because of other criteria (durability, isolation). Correct? How would you rate them for long-term comfort, while we're at it?

In all honestly headphones that have weak/flat bass don't translate to the monitors in the low end that well. The sony has the mid bass texures and upper bass resolution. It has good sub bass but above 35hz is where it is most relative to near field monitors ...they don't extend as low as headphones so I will give it to the sony for bass monitoring and the yamaha for all around accuracy.

The don't extend as low as headphones? The Sony headphones don't? I'm ... confused.

The latest Audez'e LCD-XC should be on this list, since it's probably one of the best headphones on the planet right now, regardless if sealed or closed-back: http://www.audeze.com/products/headphones/lcd-xc

Yup. Sorry. I meant to check reviews to find out if those were neutrals; I have now, and apparently they are. I've added them to the list.

Natural meaning that it sounds very realistic, with the mids being a little forward, but not too much. They're also VERY comfortable(rivals the DT880) and they're durable.

All right, then.
smile.gif
 I added them.

If you want the best of the best hd800's or lcd-3's. Electrostatics are actually more preferable (detail mainly) but off the beaten path. The hd600's and srh1840's are great if you are on a budget. I know the 1840's have terrible graphs but to my ears they are a more comfortable version of the hd600's. HD650's are dark and have more bass than ideal, HD700's were not my cup of tea period, lcd-2's have treble rolloff and it and the he-500 are not the best in detail and weight. Just my 2 cents.

None of those would work as monitoring headphones, though, due to their open nature. But I added a "mixing/mastering only" section to my first post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back