Best Street headphones with Detachable Cable?
Aug 27, 2012 at 1:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

bluedolphin

100+ Head-Fier
Since Forever i always had problem with one side of the head or earphone stopping working
because the soldering of the cable to the headphones get loose

This happens mostly after 6-7 months of use, the longest they lasted with everyday use is 2 year (Sony)
I'm 35 years old and since in the 80s i got my first Walkman  i have been using different brands since then.
In the 80-90s  I used a lot of Sonys and Aiwas and some Philips and Panasonic
I went over to better sounding headphones such as Audio technica,Koss and Sennheiser
The best sounding bassy headphone i used outdoor was some big Aiwas and Koss KSC-35

I have used few earbuds as i not find them comfortable because of a health condition also i have to clean them more often
and most of them (low range) just popped out of my ears (only one that was comfortable was apple ones but they sounded bad)

I used all kind of headphones system  over ear, clip-on, earbuds etc...
even those popular earbud with headbands back in the 90s
All had the same problems wire soldering loosing breaking down in 6-7 months and music only then come from one side.
Sony for some reason has a more solid cable and did better than other lasting up to 2 months but usualy 12-15 months
(exception is studio headphones in door use that last longer because i dont move them so much or the cable is so fat)

I am so fed up of having to buy new headphones because of the Wire soldering i try to find a permanent fix

So Can you recomend me a Good Headphone with Detachable cable that is not too big to wear on the street
sound good and is not extremely expensive.

I be willing to check out audiophile earplug too just keep in my i find plugs extremely unpleasant and i dont like anything inside my ears, Also i have to clean my ears more often as they produce much more vax (health condition i had since child) than normal so i think i be better of either with some Headphones or some earphones that are easy to clean

As Audiophile headphones goes i cant try them in local store here dont have them so i have to rely on reviews and opinions.

But what i need is something that sound good with Pop and a little Bassy without distortion
(somewhat like Koss Ksc-35 or better)

I dont feel like using the Koss lifetime warranty all the time cause then i have to use it every 4-5 months the headphone problem happen.

So please anyone that has detachable cable and one that is easy to buy extra cables
so i can stock up on some cables and just Easy unplug the cable from the ear or headphone when they break

Suggestion?

Aug 27, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #2 of 29
The SMS Audio headphones use a standard female TRS plug on the headphone, and will work with any TRS cable (they're also built to survive some horrible catastrophic amount of abuse - they're like the Panasonic Toughbook of headphones). Sound isn't too bad either.

Bose, Ultrasone, Shure, AKG, and Sennheiser all produce headphones with replaceable cables, but you're chained to using their connectors and buying cables either from them (and in most cases this is fairly cheap (e.g. Bose and Ultrasone cables are only a few dollars)), or aftermarket suppliers (which are usually very very expensive).

Aug 27, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #4 of 29
I dont mind buying propietary cables but standard TRS plug sound like a better idea
where can i get the SMS?

I think they're still on Amazon - just look up SMS Audio. Might try their website too (I remember hearing something about them donating food or something if you bought on their website, but I'm sure the price is higher since it'll be whatever MSRP is). They also have hard-cases for the cans (which, tmk, are not available with any of the headphones in their retail packaging - which is odd, but it is what it is) - claimed to be water resistant too. No idea if that's true (never laid hands on the cases, and even if I had, I wouldn't have tested the water proofing claim with headphones in the bag).

Aug 27, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #6 of 29
Both the M-80 and Sennheiser HD-25-1-ii should work. Those two are absolute tanks! I'm not sure which one is more durable, but the HD-25 is easier to fix because parts are so readily available and super easy to fix. 

Aug 28, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #8 of 29
Havent decided on a Budget yet but not more than V80 that be for sure

But hey look what i found this look Amazing
http://hypebeast.com/2012/01/diesel-x-monster-vektr-on-ear-headphones/

This video show them having a detachable cable
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGZHbN7Y13Y

Diesel is one of my favorite clothing brand, however not sure if is worth to spend that much on some Diesel by monster headphones
but one thing for sure they do look futuristic

Now my options are  so far SMS audio, Diesel monster or Vmoda V80 true blood

I like them all now i just have to pick one :)

Aug 28, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #9 of 29
Quote:
Havent decided on a Budget yet but not more than V80 that be for sure

But hey look what i found this look Amazing
http://hypebeast.com/2012/01/diesel-x-monster-vektr-on-ear-headphones/

This video show them having a detachable cable
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGZHbN7Y13Y

Diesel is one of my favorite clothing brand, however not sure if is worth to spend that much on some Diesel by monster headphones
but one thing for sure they do look futuristic

Now my options are  so far SMS audio, Diesel monster or Vmoda V80 true blood

I like them all now i just have to pick one :)

Monster's headphones aren't usually known for having great build quality even though they have a detachable cable...though I don't know much about the SMS.  But from what I understand, they aren't quite as good as the V-Modas (based on Tyll's review at Innerfidelity, at any rate.  He hasn't reviewed the Vectr yet)

Of all the headphones in the on-ear segment, the M-80s probably have the best build quality along with the HD25-1s, although I'd say the strength of the HD25-1 is more that all of the parts are replaceable so it's easy to repair, since it still is mostly made out of plastic...

Aug 28, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #10 of 29
Thanks for the input I will look for the V80 then
I am however a little confused at the buying option here
http://v-moda.com/true-blood-v-80/

First option easy just pick the shell
Second option optional type a name 

What i dont get is the option 3 upload design?
Do i have to pick between Option 1 or 3 or can i choose both, and if paying both do i pay more?

How many shells are included realy 1 or more?

Aug 28, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #12 of 29
Quote:
Thanks for the input I will look for the V80 then
I am however a little confused at the buying option here
http://v-moda.com/true-blood-v-80/

First option easy just pick the shell
Second option optional type a name 

What i dont get is the option 3 upload design?
Do i have to pick between Option 1 or 3 or can i choose both, and if paying both do i pay more?

How many shells are included realy 1 or more?

If you want to customize, the V-80, and if you don't care about customizing, M-80. Apparently if you upload a design, they will do it for you.

Aug 28, 2012 at 3:32 AM Post #14 of 29
Hm, normally custom shields cost money...but it doesn't seem to right now?  Whatever the case, you can upload anything you want as long as it's not some sort of copyrighted logo or character or something like that (unless you get permission from the creators), and it has to be in greyscale.

Aug 28, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #15 of 29
Heya,

Are you looking for a fashion accessory, or a really good audio reproduction device?

(serious question)

I ask because you can get virtually any headphone that simply sounds like what you're looking for and have it modded to be as portable as you want. I would suggest getting yourself a really good headphone for all purposes and then work into it and alter it to really suit your needs, rather than buying something that is marketed for "urban/street show". I guess it all comes down to taste, but if you want that gaudy design, and like it, that's one thing. But if you want something a lot classier and subtle, there's a lot more options and they can be modded to be as portable as you want.

But it depends if you want most of your budget to go towards the headphone's marketing and style/material, or if you want most of it to go towards the sound reproduction it does.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back