best sq for under $300
Jan 8, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #16 of 18
What would you like to know? In terms of pure neutrality, I preferred the S:Flo 2. But with the TF10 and RE0, I preferred the HM-601 for musicality. If you prefer a neutral/cold sound signature I would give the S:Flo 2 another chance. If you have warm headphones (in my case the SM3), I would also try them out with the S:Flo 2. Frankly though, I am probably going to end up selling the S:Flo 2. It sounds great, but the lack of stuff like gapless playback, dynamic scrolling, and a black background make me a little annoyed. But it is a rather inexpensive player for what it does. Another thing is the EQ. It is there and it works, but it is nowhere near as good as the stuff on Rockbox players, Cowon players, and Apple/Android players. It is also fairly good as a video player. It has excellent screen quality with the same SQ. It is a lot like a Cowon J3 ... if the manufacturers did not have as much experience making UIs for PMPs, were focused more on pure HO SQ, and were aiming the product at a lower price bracket.

If, after reading through that maze of words, you still have more want to know feel free and ask.

Jan 8, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #17 of 18
Cool thanks man, and yea I was asking mainly for the overall sound signature which you hit on so thanks again :)

I am using the SE535s now; when I get back to my room later on I'll definitely put it on the charger and load some songs onto it. Right now I'm using an iPad and a 6G Nano which I love in terms of sound quality and UI but it wouldn't hurt to fire the player back up again since you can just copy and paste songs from iTunes directly onto the player

Jan 9, 2011 at 7:17 AM Post #18 of 18

Quote:
Quote:
SQ is on par with the Hifiman 601 IMO.

Interesting... I found the S:Flo 2 to have a very different sound signature than the HM-601. While they were both very technically proficient, the S:Flo 2 seemed colder and leaner whereas the HM-601 seemed warmer and more musical. That applied to both the HO and LO for both devices. Or were you simply saying that the SQ for both was equally technically proficient. Because I agree with you on that.

Yes, that is exactly what I meant. My apologies, I should have bin more exact with my statement. The rest is all a matter of taste and can be changed with the build in equalizer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back