best sq for under $300
Sep 1, 2010 at 1:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

candc07

Caution: Incomplete trades.
What portable player has the best sound quality for under $300?  I already have an iPod 5th diymod with internal elna silmic caps.  What would be better sq wise that i can use with an ibasso d2+ boa?

Sep 5, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #4 of 18
If you ever find yourself wanting an eq, a Cowon S9 is probably tops... If you don't believe in using eq, it will likely convert you! unfortunately, there is no line out functionality, though with such a clean powerful headphone output, I have never been able to see the advantage of using one.

Sep 5, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #5 of 18
J3 → S9 in my opinion - but besides - they don't have true line outs so you never reach the full potential of a portable headphone amp. Also they sound the same as any other player (if not worse in some cases) without any EQ effects.

Anyhow I'd say the Nationite s:flo2 aka Telecast T51 would be a safe bet. Read up about it, understand the downfalls of the UI and battery life and decide if its worth it for you.

Other than that I'd say consider the HiFiMan HM-602 if you can stretch your budget...

Jan 5, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #8 of 18
If you are willing to put up with the UI and battery life, I would go with the S:Flo 2. The only other players that have a LO feature (AFAIK) are the iPod/iMod, Hifiman series, and the Sansa Fuze (a great player, but not better than your iMod). See if the Hifiman HM-601 suits your fancy.

Jan 5, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #11 of 18

Quote:
No one even mentions the Hifiman-601? The thing is beastly! Amp not required, either.

The HM-601 is great, but since the OP is going to amp it anyways, I think the S:Flo 2 is a better deal.

Jan 7, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #13 of 18

Quote:
SQ is on par with the Hifiman 601 IMO.

Interesting... I found the S:Flo 2 to have a very different sound signature than the HM-601. While they were both very technically proficient, the S:Flo 2 seemed colder and leaner whereas the HM-601 seemed warmer and more musical. That applied to both the HO and LO for both devices. Or were you simply saying that the SQ for both was equally technically proficient. Because I agree with you on that.

Jan 8, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #14 of 18

Quote:
If you ever find yourself wanting an eq, a Cowon S9 is probably tops... If you don't believe in using eq, it will likely convert you! unfortunately, there is no line out functionality, though with such a clean powerful headphone output, I have never been able to see the advantage of using one.

1+ Or J3 for the additional slot/better build with a more polished UI

Jan 8, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #15 of 18
@Violin: If you don't mind, care to share a little about the differences between the two players? I have a sflo2 sitting in the room thats collecting dust at the moment and I'd love to give it another go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back