Best speakers for Asus Xonar Essence ST below 500$????
Sep 8, 2010 at 5:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Aleksnor

New Head-Fier
I just bought an Essence ST (will arrive on saturday or on monday) and I'm planning on getting for it some AKG 701 cans, but I'd also like to buy a great pair of speakers. The music I like the most is Electronic (Trance, Vocal, Hard Dance, House, Psy-Trance, Progressive, etc) but I also like some other stuff as well, I don't care about gaming since I'll buy a Soundblaster Arena for that. Music is the priority.

Also, would a stereo amplifier be necessary?????.

Thanks a lot in advance

Sep 11, 2010 at 3:14 PM Post #6 of 21
I highly recommend the Tannoy Reveal 501a!
They go for around $179 each. Sound quality is fantastic!
I owned the BX8a Deluxe, but they were a little too big for my desk.

Sep 15, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #8 of 21
The BX8a Deluxe were better in terms of bass response. They are pretty powerful.

The Tannoy's have very good lows as well. I prefered the Tannoy's because they are the perfect size for my desktop. 

The BX8a's are ridiculously huge.

Sep 15, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #9 of 21
Thanks for the info, what do you think of these ones?

JBL LSR2325P

M-Audio BX5a (smaller than the BX5a's?)

Polk Audio RTI A1

I received today the Essence ST and I noticed that I really need to upgrade my speakers...

Nov 22, 2010 at 12:37 AM Post #11 of 21

Quote:
And between the Tannoys and the BX8as, wich one is better?

BX8's better but really big. Tannoy's use a lot of bass boost in there amps to get thier bass but run out of power way early if you are talking thier 5 inch woofered model that is.

The JBLs you list later are good but not nessessarily outstanding in thier price class. They do have some features though that I like such as the bass port that doubles as a heatsink, something I've been thinking of for years but this is the first time I actually seen one set up like I dreamed of. This is good because it gives some forced air cooling that is proportional to the signal level. Bass on these was crisp, tight & extended but above that the mid & highs were somewhat muffled sounding though this may have been due to the qualty of the soundcard that was driving them as it was definately not top quality.

Nov 22, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #13 of 21
Thanks for the advice, speaker size is not an issue for me since I'm moving to a bigger house and I'm planning on getting some speaker stands. About the JBLs, it's hard to find info about them, discarded that option after seeing that there is an optional sub and the price + shipping of the speakers + sub to Guatemala would be of around $1200...

So, I guess the BX8as would be my best choice, or is there any better choice?
Quote:
Quote:
And between the Tannoys and the BX8as, wich one is better?

BX8's better but really big. Tannoy's use a lot of bass boost in there amps to get thier bass but run out of power way early if you are talking thier 5 inch woofered model that is.

The JBLs you list later are good but not nessessarily outstanding in thier price class. They do have some features though that I like such as the bass port that doubles as a heatsink, something I've been thinking of for years but this is the first time I actually seen one set up like I dreamed of. This is good because it gives some forced air cooling that is proportional to the signal level. Bass on these was crisp, tight & extended but above that the mid & highs were somewhat muffled sounding though this may have been due to the qualty of the soundcard that was driving them as it was definately not top quality.

Nov 22, 2010 at 11:10 PM Post #14 of 21
Yes, you will need an amplifier. You should be able to find an old receiver for little money that will work. Another choice is to buy self-powered, or active, speakers. Those have an amp built into them.

Nov 23, 2010 at 8:34 AM Post #15 of 21
The receiver would be nice if you have a Tv in your room, so you can connect everything to the
receiver, every passive bookshelves around 300 woud be ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back