Best speakers for $500?
Nov 19, 2012 at 12:23 AM Post #62 of 77
A crossover is the circuitry inside a speaker that decides how the signal is divided between the different drivers (in this case, tweeter and woofer).

Crossovers can be either active (a separately powered electronic circuit) or passive (inline with the audio signal using resistors/capacitors/inductors) to modify the signal. 

There are benefits and drawbacks to each system. 

The Music Hall Marimbas are the most common type of speaker. Unpowered (no internal amplifier) and passive crossover. 

Nov 19, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #63 of 77
Quote:
A crossover is the circuitry inside a speaker that decides how the signal is divided between the different drivers (in this case, tweeter and woofer).

Crossovers can be either active (a separately powered electronic circuit) or passive (inline with the audio signal using resistors/capacitors/inductors) to modify the signal. 

There are benefits and drawbacks to each system. 

The Music Hall Marimbas are the most common type of speaker. Unpowered (no internal amplifier) and passive crossover. 

Hm, do you have any ideas on how to set up everything?

Nov 19, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #64 of 77
Not quite sure what you mean. How to connect your stereo together? These things are pretty standard. 

Nov 19, 2012 at 10:35 AM Post #65 of 77
Quote:
Not quite sure what you mean. How to connect your stereo together? These things are pretty standard. 

I'm not sure how to do that.

Nov 19, 2012 at 10:51 AM Post #66 of 77
Ok - generally - working backwards from your turntable.

Turntable --> Stereo RCA cables --> Phono Pre-amp --> Stereo RCA cables --> Amplifier --> Speaker cables (2 pairs, two channels each) --> speakers

Stereo RCA cables: something like this is fine
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021814&p_id=2869&seq=1&format=2

Speaker cable:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10239&cs_id=1023902&p_id=2819&seq=1&format=2

Across the board, make sure red connectors and red jacks stay together (white and black are usually interchangeable here).

Nov 19, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #67 of 77
Thank you! Calling and buying in about 2 hours and 30 minutes.

Nov 19, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #69 of 77
Ok, just ordered. I got the Rega RP1, the Music Hall Marimbas, and a Parasound ZPhono Preamp. Has anybody heard of the preamp? Everybody at the store highly recommended it and loved it so I decided to get that.

Nov 19, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #70 of 77
I don't know about the current production Parasound ZPhono - the original one I heard a few years ago had a lot of background noise. I felt that the NAD, Cambridge Audio and others in the same price class performed better. Maybe they have improved it. 

I'm sure it will be fine for starting out with.

Nov 19, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #71 of 77
How about the ZA5.2 kit from Madisound?  The midranges in these measure extremely well compared to some of the best drivers one could buy.

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/2-way-speaker-kits/zaph%7Caudio-za5.2-tm-2-way-pair-with-cabinets/

Nov 19, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #72 of 77
Quote:
I don't know about the current production Parasound ZPhono - the original one I heard a few years ago had a lot of background noise. I felt that the NAD, Cambridge Audio and others in the same price class performed better. Maybe they have improved it. 

I'm sure it will be fine for starting out with.

Hm, thats not good. I feel like they are very well informed though. I guess they could have improved it a lot. I hope so. The person I talked to had one at his house and highly recommended it. Just read a review on the ZPhono by Sterophile in March. Whoever wrote it loved it.

Nov 19, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #73 of 77
I'm sure it will be fine. :) It was around '08 that I heard it, and it wasn't my set up - so there could have been other factors at play.

tf1216 - the 10 litre vented box numbers look good. But I've never heard these speakers. 

Nov 19, 2012 at 5:27 PM Post #74 of 77
I'm loving the looks of this preamp. I can't wait till Christmas, being 13 I have to wait till Christmas for things. The turntable is for the whole family, basically I caused a audio revolution in my family. Getting so many audio things for Christmas for either me or the family. Can't wait!

Nov 20, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #75 of 77
Quote:
I'm sure it will be fine. :) It was around '08 that I heard it, and it wasn't my set up - so there could have been other factors at play.

tf1216 - the 10 litre vented box numbers look good. But I've never heard these speakers. 

In case you would like to do some research please see the measurements posted in the link.  There is more information to be found by using Google searching for terms like "Zaph Audio", "ZA14" or by going to zaphaudio.com.
http://www.audioheuristics.org/measurements/Testing/Midrange4/midrange_4_test_data.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back