Best speaker for $500 or less...
Jul 18, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #16 of 22
iirc a used magnepan (forgot what model) costs around 500usd hehe... but it wont work with your setup D=

Jul 18, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #17 of 22
Quote:
iirc a used magnepan (forgot what model) costs around 500usd hehe... but it wont work with your setup D=

I was going to recommend that as well (I want a pair so badly), but you're right, it wouldn't work with his situation. The limited space would probably be an issue, plus he'd need a good amp on top of the $500 or so for the speakers.
There are older maggies for $200 sometimes, though.

Jul 18, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #18 of 22
I have run the PSB alpha B1 from a T-amp for many years, via an M-audio 2496, Kingrex UD-01 and other computer audio options. For near-field I found it very very good, and have not yet found anything that competes for sitting on my desk while at my computer. when I put this together everyone was telling my to go Axiom and Onkyo, however I found that way too bright, but it is another option which gets some favorable reviews.

What I like is tonal accuracy that seems to extend all the way up, a nice balance in the sound, fantastic detail response, without the traditional bright sound that I would expect. Did I mention the detail.

What I don't like is the Bass, which is it's flaw that makes everything else possible. The bass response is okay near-field and will not be considered over emphasized at all. And will not be missed too much in acoustical performances or in small rooms (like my office).

Of course you should google and audition where possible.

Jul 18, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #19 of 22
You can still get a pair of Energy RC10 for 220$ from Vanns.
I just can't tell you how they'd sound nearfield.

In the small, you could pair them with something like a Firestone Big Joe II.
In the large, you could fetch a vintage receiver anywhere.

That would scale easily,

Have fun,

Jul 19, 2012 at 7:47 AM Post #20 of 22
Looks very sweet.

Yeah I planned to buy 2nd hand to make the dollar go further. Is there anywhere recommended to buy except for the obvious places like ebay and this forums trade thread?

Jul 19, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #21 of 22
Quote:
Looks very sweet.

Yeah I planned to buy 2nd hand to make the dollar go further. Is there anywhere recommended to buy except for the obvious places like ebay and this forums trade thread?

I've had very good luck with Craigslist, though sometimes it's a crapshoot who you'll run into. So far, I've run into only great people, but I've only bought two things. :p

Jul 19, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #22 of 22
The RC10 have very good reviews. I have the RC30, which are the small towers just above, and they sound very good.

If you ever want a Big Joe, I do have one sitting on the shelf. You can PM me.

However, I think that a vintage receiver would scale better.

Quote:
Looks very sweet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back