Best Soundtstage for gaming and classical music for $400
Feb 7, 2014 at 2:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Thatonedude2

Aka: Willitblend
Amp is included in the $300 price range. Hell,make it $400 total. I've heard the AKG Q701 have an excellent soundstage. For around $200 and then maybe $200 towards a new amp. For music mostly but I need it for gaming too. Now I use the Sennheiser HD518--->Fiio E11--->Line out on the Fiio to 3.5 jack on TV. Also my PS3 is connected via HDMI if it matters. I'm really terrible with cables and knowing what cables to use so I'll tell you what's available. 3.5mm jack and an optical out. No red and white for audio. Just those two. Preferably the optical out to be used because I accidentally yanked a cable from the 3.5 jack and it cuts out now if moved and is probably going to crap out soon. Again I'm terrible with all this so I need you to tell make something out with what I just said. $400. New headphones. New amp. Gaming/classical music. Optical out on HDTV. Also for music I use my iPod so I'm not sure how I'd do that if I'm using an optical out..I guess the amp has to have an optical out and an an RCA out..I don't know I ******* hate cables. Sorry for being so confusing. I just hope someone can help.

Feb 8, 2014 at 3:30 AM Post #2 of 16
now I know a lot of people like the k701 but it has weird soundstage imo. It goes side ways instead of all around you. Even though it is accurate I think HD598 will do a better job with that. For amping well 598 doesnt need amping plus at your budget it's hard to recommend something but save up some more for the Audioqest Dragonfly V1.2

Feb 8, 2014 at 4:52 AM Post #4 of 16
Ah I read that thread but it's quite long. I've had my eyes on the 598's for years. I enjoy the 518's but wish they were a bit better SQ and soundstage wise. Seeing the 5xx line seems to be,for the most part the same and carries the same sound sig I'll just pull the plug on these. Which amp or amp/DAC would you suggest which uses an optical out? The cheaper the better. Although not too cheap. Around the $100 mark,more or less. Whatever gets the job done and brings out the best in these. Preferably something that focuses on the lower end and highs and soundstage.

Feb 8, 2014 at 6:00 AM Post #5 of 16
I like the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250ohms headphones at only $165. They are one of the Best Deals.

Feb 9, 2014 at 1:20 AM Post #7 of 16
Which iPod?

Edit: I'm asking because if it's an older one, you can probably save some money for later by not buying a DAC. Several older ones used Wolfson chips.

Feb 9, 2014 at 3:04 AM Post #8 of 16
Amp is included in the $300 price range. Hell,make it $400 total. I've heard the AKG Q701 have an excellent sound stage. For around $200 and then maybe $200 towards a new amp. For music mostly but I need it for gaming too. Now I use the Sennheiser HD518--->Fiio E11--->Line out on the Fiio to 3.5 jack on TV. Also my PS3 is connected via HDMI if it matters. I'm really terrible with cables and knowing what cables to use so I'll tell you what's available. 3.5mm jack and an optical out. No red and white for audio. Just those two. Preferably the optical out to be used because I accidentally yanked a cable from the 3.5 jack and it cuts out now if moved and is probably going to crap out soon. Again I'm terrible with all this so I need you to tell make something out with what I just said. $400. New headphones. New amp. Gaming/classical music. Optical out on HDTV. Also for music I use my iPod so I'm not sure how I'd do that if I'm using an optical out..I guess the amp has to have an optical out and an an RCA out..I don't know I ******* hate cables. Sorry for being so confusing. I just hope someone can help.

So it appears you have a PS3 and I'm assuming either Cable TV, Satellite TV or ATT DSL TV?
I would would say to invest into a used A/V receiver, maybe a Yamaha, as they come with Silent Cinema, Yamaha's version of headphone surround sound.
You would use HDMI cables from the PS3 and TV source into the A/V receiver, then HDMI from the receiver to the TV.
Use whatever is left over for headphones, that you would plug into the receiver.
You might even like the HD518 better plugged into a receiver?
Or sell off the HD518 and Fiio E11 and put that cash towards headphones.
And maybe buy some decent speakers for use with the receiver.

Feb 9, 2014 at 3:09 AM Post #9 of 16
Actually no cable. Netflix from my ps3 only. Although I would like speakers for when I get my Ps4,but that's low priority for now. Now I don't think this would work so bear with me here,just a noob with a dumb and probably obvious idea. CD player (Marantz 5004,$350), headphones plugged into the front and an optical out from the Marantz to my TV. Wouldn't work would it?

Feb 9, 2014 at 3:56 AM Post #10 of 16
Actually no cable. Netflix from my ps3 only. Although I would like speakers for when I get my Ps4,but that's low priority for now. Now I don't think this would work so bear with me here,just a noob with a dumb and probably obvious idea. CD player (Marantz 5004,$350), headphones plugged into the front and an optical out from the Marantz to my TV. Wouldn't work would it?

Marantz CD5004, good audio quality, zero headphone surround sound support
(PS sound stage usually refers to music, not gaming).
I would say to get an Astro mix-amp and connect it to the PS3 (and PS4), using optical and connect whatever headphone you get to the Mix-amp.
If the amp inside the mix-amp is not powerful enough, just daisy chain the E11 between the Mix-amp and the headphones.
So just use the PS3/PS4 to play your games and Blu-ray & DVD movies and audio-CDs and Neflix.

Feb 9, 2014 at 3:57 AM Post #11 of 16
maybe a philips x1... that bass is really good for gaming and the soundstage is really awesome... you can find a new one for 200 or so and it doesnt really need amping. it is one of the best headphones for both even above its class. I prefer it to k712 personally and it is super comfortable. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Philips-Fidelio-X1-28-Premium-Over-Ear-Headphones-/291073408012?pt=US_Radio_Comm_Headsets_Earpieces&hash=item43c553bc0c

also there is a gaming thread

Feb 9, 2014 at 5:26 AM Post #12 of 16
Marantz CD5004, good audio quality, zero headphone surround sound support
(PS sound stage usually refers to music, not gaming).
I would say to get an Astro mix-amp and connect it to the PS3 (and PS4), using optical and connect whatever headphone you get to the Mix-amp.
If the amp inside the mix-amp is not powerful enough, just daisy chain the E11 between the Mix-amp and the headphones.
So just use the PS3/PS4 to play your games and Blu-ray & DVD movies and audio-CDs and Neflix.

So the Mixamp directly to my PS3 and headphones directly to the Mixamp? Nothing connected to the TV?

Feb 9, 2014 at 5:29 AM Post #13 of 16
So the Mixamp directly to my PS3 and headphones directly to the Mix-amp? Nothing connected to the TV?

As it seems all your audio is going thru the PS3, can't see why to have an audio connection to the TV.

Feb 9, 2014 at 2:18 PM Post #14 of 16
Have you had any experience with the Astro? Exactly what kind of power can I expect from it,and the E11 chained in between. Say I wanted to upgrade in the future to something a bit more demanding,could I just replace the E11 and link something else in between?

Feb 9, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #15 of 16
Astro is okay overall but there is better. The mixamp though, I had a slight problem with. It had some sound control and hiss issues but in the end, I don't agree with fake surround-sound with headphones as they tend to sound somewhat boxed in and ultimately not the best for sound-whoring if you play some fps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back