best sounding iPod by Apple?
Sep 4, 2008 at 7:59 AM Post #16 of 45
my iPod 30 GB 5.5G sounds best of all i have tried.

not sure about iPhone..tested it with ibuds only

Sep 4, 2008 at 9:56 AM Post #17 of 45
The 5th gen iPods sounds very good with my Sony, Sennheiser, Apple stock earbuds or Audio Technica headphones when set to Acoustic EQ.

Sep 21, 2008 at 3:21 AM Post #20 of 45
first of all i like my music detailed and clear, the iPod classic with 1.1.2 firmware is certainly a step backward on my etymotic ER6i, i find some detail were missing, prior to the 1.1.2 firmware the music is bit more quieter and wasnt satisfying as well. Then i got my self the iPhone 3G, and wow it is clear detailed once again.

i mainly use EQ of Hip Hop on both 80GB classic and iPhone, iPhone just sounds better and i prefer to use that now. I also got an 2nd Gen Ipod Mini, Havent used that in sometime :p

Sep 21, 2008 at 3:29 AM Post #21 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my iPod 30 GB 5.5G sounds best of all i have tried.

not sure about iPhone..tested it with ibuds only

Dam, never knew it was the ibuds that made them all sound so bad
ksc75smile.gif

Sep 21, 2008 at 10:30 AM Post #23 of 45
Was looking for advice on this topic once, too. Then I read comments such as "on the 4G the middle upper highs are a tad bright; and below 52 Hz, they roll off considerably..." That's all BS IMO. I heard the classic and currently own 5G, which is fine for me. (Classic wasn't remarkably better or worse.) I guess you should go for the cheapest one to get. - One thing to keep in mind though. You can easily replace the battery - or any other part - yourself on all ipods up to generation 5.5 (not so with classic and the other new ones); also, the new models will propably never be able to play an alternative firmware like Rockbox (for Flac, OGG e.g.). Apple really took some effort to prevent that.

Sep 21, 2008 at 11:31 AM Post #24 of 45
Quote:

Acoustics issues

According to certain tests performed both by hearing and through computer analysis of the sound, the 6th Generation iPods lack sound quality in the mid range, and produces less spatial information (i.e. stereo sound plays 'inside your head' instead of 'outside') due to higher impulse in the treble compared with 5G.[5][6] Apple has not yet commented on this problem.

A firmware update, 1.1.1, released by Apple for the iPod Classic is said to, among other things, improve the sound quality. [7] However, no details on these improvements were given on the Apple website.

Another later update, 1.1.2, is shown to correct bug fixes, but is nonetheless another minor update.

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/new...ssing-problem/
Apple - Support - Discussions - iPod 160GB - the good and the bad new ...
Measurements
iPod classics exhibit random crashes, lockups | iLounge News

The ipod 6G is one of the worst sounding ipods. Thats for sure. It has major acoustic problems. I cannot comment on the older ipods but I guess they are generally regarded as bad sounding ipods.

Sep 21, 2008 at 1:46 PM Post #25 of 45
I was just comparing my old 4G iPod to my current iPhone 3G, and the iPhone absolutely destroys the iPod soundquality wise. At least with UE super.fi 5 Pros and Koss portaPros.
The iPhone has great clarity, resolution, instrument positioning and a much blacker background in comparison to the 4G iPod. Seems they are doing something right in Cupertino.
(slightly off-topic, but possibly helpful to someone.)

Sep 21, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #26 of 45
Quote:

According to certain tests performed both by hearing and through computer analysis of the sound, the 6th Generation iPods lack sound quality in the mid range, and produces less spatial information

"Certain" Tests? Certain Tests that determine "sound quality"? And how do you define that? "Less spatial information"? Wow, I sure would like to see those tests. Please be so kind and point me to them.
I wonder are there tests to determine the "absolute hotness" of a woman?
tongue.gif

Sep 21, 2008 at 7:41 PM Post #27 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have 3G, 4G photo, 5.5G and Classic. They all sound exactly the same from the line out. I prefer the 5.5 interface the best.

See ya
Steve

They have different DACs. How can they all sound exactly the same
confused_face(1).gif

If they all sound the same to you, then maybe being an audiophile is not for you. Save some money and stick with some iBuds
rolleyes.gif

Sep 23, 2008 at 1:24 AM Post #28 of 45
I was reading up on the 1G shuffle. Very interesting from a technical standpoint. It supposedly has duel transistors for each channel pushing and pulling on each phase of the sound wave without capacitors. It made it very accurate with the ability to sustain under load.

Seems like they had such a good thing going. Bring it back Apple!

Quantifying Bass Performance in Digital Audio Players

There was another site but I lost the link.

Sep 23, 2008 at 4:47 AM Post #29 of 45
Has anyone tried the new 120Gb ipod classic?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back