best sounding iPod by Apple?
Sep 1, 2008 at 12:11 AM Post #2 of 45
I have 3G, 4G photo, 5.5G and Classic. They all sound exactly the same from the line out. I prefer the 5.5 interface the best.

See ya
Steve

Sep 1, 2008 at 12:24 AM Post #4 of 45
I didnt realise that ipods were made by anyone else except apple.
tongue.gif

I would go with the 5.5, unless you want the 160 gb, or must have the latest. if you do not like the layout, rockbox is the way to go.
and if you want, you could get the imod, but that is only if you are willing to spend some serious money on the imod + cable +amp + high end head/ear phones.
If not, 5.5 is the way to go, and there are generally available on these forums.
alternatively, you might want to wait until the new range is released, and then when there is flood of 6gs on ebay etc, snag a bargain.

Sep 1, 2008 at 3:59 AM Post #5 of 45
I have a Mini and had a 5.5gen - both sound(ed) sweet to me.

Sep 1, 2008 at 12:14 PM Post #6 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by G-man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didnt realise that ipods were made by anyone else except apple.
tongue.gif

I know a lot of people that call generically "iPod" all the portable hw able to play MP3...
ksc75smile.gif

Sep 1, 2008 at 1:17 PM Post #8 of 45
You need to compare the 6th gen with the previous ones as Apple ditched Wolfson Microelectronics in favour of Cirrus for the audio chip.

I have both a 4th gen classic and 2nd gen Nano and I prefer the SQ of the classic with the Wolfson chip. Personally I would go for 5 or 5.5 if you need the video or 4th gen if you just want music.

Sep 1, 2008 at 3:07 PM Post #9 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2slow4u /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I know a lot of people that call generically "iPod" all the portable hw able to play MP3...
ksc75smile.gif

you can say that again. for some reason people candifferenciate macs from pcs, but not ipods from mp3 players. everytime someone says nice ipod i wana slap em silly. (i dont have an ipod -they suck IMO)

Sep 3, 2008 at 5:59 PM Post #11 of 45
at first, i thought they all sounded the same. however, i am recently noticing that my mother's pink ipod mini (that came out at the same time as 4g ipods) sounds better than 4g and classic, all amped. i dont know how they sound from headphone outs.

Sep 3, 2008 at 6:13 PM Post #12 of 45
Maybe you just really like pink?
biggrin.gif

Sep 3, 2008 at 9:47 PM Post #13 of 45
I have a 6G classical and three 5.5G ipods, all 80GB. The 5.5G sounds noticeably better than the 6G from the headphone out, which sounds thinner and brighter. The 5.5G ipods have a more natural and fuller sound, which is why I bought three of them after hearing the difference.

Sep 4, 2008 at 7:08 AM Post #15 of 45
/me really like the sound of the 1G iPod nano. If its "best" sounding may be up for discussion though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back