Best sounding Closed headphones under $500?
Aug 12, 2013 at 1:55 AM Post #16 of 31
Quote:
What is the best portable dac/amp I should buy to power up the T70?

At the moment I only have the Fiio E17.

I really don't think a portable can offer enough current for them, though I could be wrong. They say 250 ohms on the box, but you should pick an amp for them as though they're rated at 800 ohms. All the best amps for super high impedance headphones I know of are wall-socket-bound tube amps. the T70p... maybe, but it's still going to suck compared to a desktop amp, and be lacking in bass.

Most reviews of the T70/p complain that there is no bass, not bad bass or weak bass, no bass. So long as you're using an amp that isn't designed to shred impedance, they're right. If you're looking for a setup that is primarily or exclusively portable, the T70 will disappoint. They're hungry. Underfeed them and they will simply not respond below 500hz. Give them what they want, and they'll be the cans of your dreams.

Aug 12, 2013 at 2:10 AM Post #17 of 31
If you find lcd 2 bass light, then I don't think any decent headphone will cut it.

Aug 13, 2013 at 5:20 AM Post #18 of 31
I loved the sennheiser momentum. I really liked the clarity and the precise bass and seems to be easily driven.
But I am also looking for some closed headphones that is something similar to momentum or the akg k550. I got some q701 so clarity is important, but I am looking for some closed headphones because of bit more bass. Beyerdynamics sounds really bad for the amount of money so that is out of the picture.

Sorry if im trying to steal your thread but seeing you want something similar I thought it would be a great place to check with people :p

Aug 13, 2013 at 8:58 AM Post #19 of 31
Mr.Speakers Mad Dogs

Aug 13, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #20 of 31
I haven´t heard any AT that reminds me anything about my LCD-2. A900, M50 and W-1000X is the ATs I heard all quite different to eachother :)

Aug 13, 2013 at 9:03 AM Post #21 of 31
Easy choice for you, Mad Dogs.

Aug 13, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #22 of 31
Quote:
I loved the sennheiser momentum. I really liked the clarity and the precise bass and seems to be easily driven.
But I am also looking for some closed headphones that is something similar to momentum or the akg k550. I got some q701 so clarity is important, but I am looking for some closed headphones because of bit more bass. Beyerdynamics sounds really bad for the amount of money so that is out of the picture.

Sorry if im trying to steal your thread but seeing you want something similar I thought it would be a great place to check with people :p

Budget choice - Superlux 662, either the base 662 or 662B model, $50. Upgrade with velour pads, $13.

Jun 3, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #24 of 31
  What did you finally get? I would suggest hifiman HE-400. Very good for the price!

Except they're open - OP was looking for closed.

Jun 6, 2014 at 12:27 PM Post #26 of 31
I had the same criteria to upgrade my IEMs and to add a new closed back can.Super high quality bass, crystal clear sound and a nice soundstage.

After a lot of research (believe me, around 6 months) I upgraded my IEM's to T-Peos H300. My research has paid off and I am so happy with them. They met all my criteria and lived upto my expectations.

But my hunt is still going on for a set of closed headphones. So far I have shortlisted the below. But remember few of them are little bass light, but I have included them in the radar for other reasons. I hope this list will help you to save some time. They are all basically sub-500 cans. (the order listed has no significance. its just random). I considered other headphone review sites also for this search in addition to head-fi.

Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro
Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium (or DT 770)
AKG K712PRO
Audio-Technica ATH-WS99 Solid Bass
AKG K545
Yamaha HPH-MT220
Fidelio X1
Audio-Technica ATH-PRO700MK2
Pioneer HDJ-2000-K
Denon HD-J2000
Soundmagic HP100
Ultrasone DJ1 PRO S-Logic
Ultrasone pro 900 s-logic
Ultrasone HFI-780 S-Logic

Jun 6, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #27 of 31
Isn't the X1 open backed? I'm kind of in the same boat, considering picking up a good closed back with decent bass that can still handle classical as well. Been looking at the T50TP mods like ZMF and Mr Speakers. I love my 2 open cans, so I'm having a difficult time deciding if I should just stick with my on ear Momentums I got for 80 and save up for something like an Audeze, or try a good closed.

Jun 7, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #29 of 31
Beyerdynamic Dt770 pro 250 ohm with fiio e12 or e18 would be good. The bass has both quality and quantity and the soundstage is as good as most open back headphones. I fin d them good with everything even classical music and they are only 180$. The isolation is top notch too. Also look into the fostex closed headphones

Sep 23, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #30 of 31
For portability, and what it's worth, I am a traveling on the road engineer, and I use T70's with a Fiio E12, true they are a 250 ohm set, but they are an efficient 250...I like the T70's also because they aren't flashy, and draw attention unless you know.....avoids the...  like "hey that guy has a 500$ set of cans, let's grab them" scenerio,,.I agree the Schiit is a better choice to get the bottom end, but hard to use it on the plane.... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back