Best sound frequency?
Dec 20, 2007 at 2:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

Warhawk

100+ Head-Fier
I was just wandering what you guys thought was the best sound range in IEMs.

I mean like 20hz-20khz.

I want one that has great highs, and bass(but not too much).
Maybe if you could list the best for rock, rap, country, metal etc or something would be appreciated.

Dec 20, 2007 at 2:45 AM Post #2 of 30
Meh, 20-20 is human hearing range so you want all of that. Simple.

Problem is - most IEMs roll off to hell after 16 khz, so you kind of have to live with that. Not too bad, but could be better.

Also, don't rely on statistics. Things tend to behave very differently from what you would imagine by reading numerical claims.

Dec 20, 2007 at 2:50 AM Post #3 of 30
Those frequency response numbers are meaningless since they never mention the tolerance.

They could mean 20hz-20khz +/-3db or they could mean 20hz-20khz +/-12db. They just don't say.

Dec 20, 2007 at 4:08 AM Post #8 of 30
redface.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And here I was getting excited about a thread to discuss our favorite audio frequencies...

Me too. 830hz is about the sweet spot for me.

Dec 20, 2007 at 4:19 AM Post #9 of 30
Every organist knows the best frequency is 16 hz. (the frequency a 32' pipe produces)

Dec 20, 2007 at 4:23 AM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And here I was getting excited about a thread to discuss our favorite audio frequencies...

I have an OLD pressing of a 1000hz solid tone on vinyl at several levels and i must say its very very nice. all 3 levels have both a weighty quality and good focus. the -60db track is a little quiet for my tastes, but i suppose thats how the musician wanted it. i have not experimented with different recordings of this wonderful bit of music, but i may.

i find there is something sadly "lacking" in the piece called "quiet grooves" on the same album. no mater how far i turn the knob up all i get is a soft hiss from the tubes in my phono stage. I think the guy who pressed the record skipped this track, i bet it was great before he screwed my record up.

Dec 20, 2007 at 4:31 AM Post #12 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have an OLD pressing of a 1000hz solid tone on vinyl at several levels and i must say its very very nice. all 3 levels have both a weighty quality and good focus. the -60db track is a little quiet for my tastes, but i suppose thats how the musician wanted it. i have not experimented with different recordings of this wonderful bit of music, but i may.

I heard that if you put 40hz through one channel and 41hz through another and listen to it long enough, you'll have a religious experience.

Dec 20, 2007 at 4:34 AM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I heard that if you put 40hz through one channel and 41hz through another and listen to it long enough, you'll have a religious experience.

Only when 7.8Hz is modulated in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back