Best sound frequency?
Dec 20, 2007 at 4:40 AM Post #16 of 30
Yeah I bought an old HP 3310B function generator so that i can listen to individual tones to my heart's content. I think this is where pop music is going.

Dec 20, 2007 at 5:01 AM Post #18 of 30
haha. I actually do collaborate with a friend on a noise project from time to time. I'd offer you some MP3's but you might never forgive me, or you could swear off music completely.

Plus some of it was composed programatically and without the aid of audio, and may actually be damaging to some transducers.

Dec 20, 2007 at 5:04 AM Post #19 of 30
Well I like KK Null so I might actually like 40hz noise.
wink.gif

Dec 20, 2007 at 5:06 AM Post #20 of 30
Closer to Merzbow, but more melodic.

Dec 20, 2007 at 5:14 AM Post #21 of 30
Lol. Mine would be 100 hz and 2 KHz

Dec 20, 2007 at 5:16 AM Post #22 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Closer to Merzbow, but more melodic.

Now this thread is derailed and OP thinks we are insensitive here on head-fi.

...anyhow, sometimes I like to listen to Masonna, Merzbow or even some Whitehouse
wink.gif

Dec 20, 2007 at 5:39 AM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif

...anyhow, sometimes I like to listen to Masonna, Merzbow or even some Whitehouse
wink.gif

geeze, there's something wrong with you :p

Maybe I'll see if i can still find the 1-hour-long "Things I've never heard" sequence . . . . it was described by a local DJ as being "unscratchable".

Dec 20, 2007 at 3:34 PM Post #24 of 30
Ok I have a really stupid question...I'm guessing the lower frequencies, 20hz, are for bass right?
So if I didn't want to much bass I wouldn't touch anything below that?

I'm asking this because I made a mistake of buying the $40 sony IEMs, and my $20 Philips surround headphones sound much better in the high end.

Dec 20, 2007 at 3:55 PM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Warhawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok I have a really stupid question...I'm guessing the lower frequencies, 20hz, are for bass right?
So if I didn't want to much bass I wouldn't touch anything below that?

I'm asking this because I made a mistake of buying the $40 sony IEMs, and my $20 Philips surround headphones sound much better in the high end.

20hz is Very Very Low bass. There is almost no music performed or recorded that low, other than pipe organ drone.

Much below 20hz, you don't so much hear as feel it.

Most bass in music is 40-100hz.

Mar 6, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #27 of 30
LaMonte Young.

Actually you've got me with this thread. I fell in love with the sound neighbor's car (w/ diesel engine, running at low RPM, damaged exhaust) resonating windows AND my skull (about 30 Hz base freq.) just to start hating it. It takes the jerk 2 or even 5 minutes to park it and that happens every day.
I got bored with it.
Now I grim at him whenever I see him.

Mar 6, 2008 at 2:46 AM Post #28 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif

wink.gif

Noisex, The Locust, Die In Progress or Frazzbass or Ballgag have all been fun.
Komprex? There's nothing groovier.

Mar 6, 2008 at 4:09 AM Post #29 of 30
- infinity hz to infinity hz

as a very very very rough estimate, the larger the range, the better, because typically they don't publish those numbers unless they are within acceptable +/- of each other, thus a larger range means there must be less variance.

its all dumb marketing though and not everyone follows +/- db.

Mar 6, 2008 at 4:25 AM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Warhawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Best sound frequency?

shouldn't we ask Kenneth?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back